Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

UPDATE w/pics and current specs / Question: Adjustment to factory alignment specs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oddjob
WAY TOO much toe-in. Should be something like 0.01 to 0.05 deg per side, max. That may be the wear problem, more so than the neg camber.
1+. I run -2.5 camber with just a touch of negative toe. That much toe will wear the tires fast.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:06 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Ok attached is my most recent alignment.

The only difference between this and the previous is (as you can see) more camber. Car felt great at AX, and really felt great around the track, other than long turns where the car was loaded for a while. Wanted to push. For reference I also have Weltmeister sway bars on the car... front bar is full soft, rear bar is ~50%.
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2012, 11:19 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick, I ran -2 degrees of negative camber on the front of my 924S for years and never had a set of tires wear to the cord. I would have them "flipped" on the rims at around 10k miles, and I could get 20k+ miles out of a set of similarly-soft tires as these.

Your wear is definitely from too much toe.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:15 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

yeah....that's the consensus. I reported the current specs to the shop and he agreed it's too much toe. He agreed to realign for free and provide me a spec sheet (now that I understand it a bit)

Headin' up there in twenty minutes.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:27 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

I took the car back to the same shop for a "free" alignment after discussing with the co-owner.

After a while i saw one of the guys drive the car (test drive) and return. I was under the impression one of the co-owners (with lots of experience) did the alignment on cars like ours (they didn't say that though). Well, I the guy who i saw driving it stopped up front and I asked how it went? He said other than it was hot when he drove the car it was fine (I told him the A/C blows cold). I then asked about the specs. Yes, it was he who aligned it and truthfully I wasn't a fan.

Shortly they pulled the car up and I drove away. Less than a mile down the road I turned around. The car was trying to climb the curb on drivers side regardless of surface, road crown, etc.

I returned and got the co-owner who went on a drive with me. He said he had a flat place a few miles down the road. I told him it wouldn't take but a few blocks. Back to the shop.

This time the owner did the drive twice after adjustments and then gave the car back to me...it drives fine now.

I do have the spec sheet (at home).

I can't help but wonder what purpose the drive by the original technician was? Obvoiously the car pulled yet he didn't address that in any manner, shape or form.

I'll watch the tire wear though the specs seem to look good. I appreciate that the owner offered the free alignment and then after I got him involved made sure it was right....but, I am more than hesitant to return.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I once had a similar inside tire wear with better alignment numbers. It turned out that the lower ball joint(s) were bad.

Alignment is done statically and assumes all the steering and suspension joints are tight. If not, “all bets are off” (angles are off) when driving the car, in particular during braking and turning.

Alignment shops normally checks for wear first and don’t waste the customer’s money on an alignment, if there is too much play in the relevant steering and suspension joints.

Laust
Old 05-23-2012, 02:03 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen
I once had a similar inside tire wear with better alignment numbers. It turned out that the lower ball joint(s) were bad.

Alignment is done statically and assumes all the steering and suspension joints are tight. If not, “all bets are off” (angles are off) when driving the car, in particular during braking and turning.

Alignment shops normally checks for wear first and don’t waste the customer’s money on an alignment, if there is too much play in the relevant steering and suspension joints.

Laust
agreed...the last time I brought it to them was after installing a nice fresh set of a arms! Other than perhaps being due to service the front wheel bearings she's pretty tight.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:43 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Did they give you a set of before and after printouts this time?
Old 05-23-2012, 08:53 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Did they give you a set of before and after printouts this time?
after i asked, yes

Quick Reply: UPDATE w/pics and current specs / Question: Adjustment to factory alignment specs?