Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Show your 951 garage pics here....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:57 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Love the fold down bench idea, will have to remember that when I buy a house. Stuck with renting for now so I can't do much with the garage.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:24 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Progression of my garage:
Attached Images     
Old 04-30-2012, 06:25 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

TV is now a 42 Plasma, added AC & the 2nd lift to play with the race car: fun stuff!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

This is how our garage looks like now

Old 04-30-2012, 07:13 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
After that?

/thread.
Originally Posted by refresh951
I was feeling pretty good until NOW. I now realize I live in a shack in a 3rd world country. Dude, that is an awesome garage. Thanks for posting. Looks like I have some work to do...
Originally Posted by Motosport
Holy crap Jack, that place is cooler than an icebear's nuts in an arctic snow storm...

And certainly a great inspiration too, especially since I'm just in the process of planning a refurbishment of my own garage, which is about the same size and shape as yours... Taking notes, taking notes...

I really like the combination of a great workplace and a cosy porsche logoed man cave...
Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Love the fold down bench idea, will have to remember that when I buy a house. Stuck with renting for now so I can't do much with the garage.
Thanks very much, guys.

Originally Posted by Richgreenster
Jack. Love it. The lift is awesome. Can you give more details on the lift system as to what it is and the installation?
It's a hydraulic lift table, which is usually used in an industrial/warehouse setting -- but it caught my attention as a possible starting point for a no-footprint lift for my 911. It would be a little less ideal for a front-engine car, since you'd need support blocks and would have reduced access to the stuff between the wheels. But a 911 only has a belly pan there.

I picked up the lift second-hand on Ebay for $455. I rented a concrete cutting saw and dug out a 16" deep hole in the dirt underneath the old slab. Then I mixed and poured in new side walls and an 8" deep reinforced pad. I re-did the tiles I had to remove and also tiled the top of the lift. When it's down, you'd hardly know it was there.

I've learned a lot while doing this garage. I'd never set tiles before I tiled it. And I'd never mixed and poured concrete before I put in this lift.

By buying the thing second-hand and doing the work myself, I kept the total cost for this part of the garage down to $670. Now, it's about the most-used tool in the place. The other upside for this lift and a 911 is that there are no arms to position or ramps to hit. So long as the car is parked in the right spot, all I have to do is press the button and watch it go up.

There are more details on the installation starting in this page of the Garage Journal thread on my build.

(Total budget for the cabinets, benches, floors and lift was less than $4,000.)

Shorter answer: Check out the video.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 PM
bs951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 3.5 year old performing a brake inspection.
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

LOVE the video. The music is classic! I need to take some notes on how you did that! I have a 3rd car stall that I would love to transform into a workshop area with bench, vise, etc... like you have.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Own Goal
I like, was at zerMATT951 garage yesterday to look at some 951 plumbing. First thing when I walked in was "Matt, dude, your garage is air conditioned!" and four cars wide. I need to get going.
wow...cool (literally!).

I wanted to drop in myself but too many obligations (Sewell company picnic). I need to check that out.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack, love the garage. Great idea with the lift!

I'm actually in the process of moving into a small 2-car garage and I'm really trying to come up with ideas for how to make the best use out of the space. Unfortunately the ceiling is low so it gives the impression it's smaller than it is.

My current garage is a huge 1.5-car garage, so losing it will be a bit of a bummer.

Don't have any pics of my current setup but figured Sean (azmi951) would get a kick out of seeing his up here. Then again he may hate me, since we had just finished pulling our buddy's motor. The shop is a 2+ car setup, about 30ft deep -- I'm not joking when I say it's DEEP.

Last edited by ausgeflippt951; 01-08-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I bought this house BECAUSE of the garage, and I have friends who do HVAC and electrical work, so adding a central 2.5 ton unit only cost me around $200 for new copper lines, wiring, and a breaker. I got a lot of good use of that investment last summer when I put my car back together over many weekends that were 105+.

This past weekend we tore down my brother's 951 to reseal everything including the AOS, both balance shaft housings, and everything else you can think of. It's not 105 yet, but it's been 90 and very humid, so the AC has been nice for this project too!

Old 05-01-2012, 12:45 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
I bought this house BECAUSE of the garage, and I have friends who do HVAC and electrical work, so adding a central 2.5 ton unit only cost me around $200 for new copper lines, wiring, and a breaker. I got a lot of good use of that investment last summer when I put my car back together over many weekends that were 105+.

This past weekend we tore down my brother's 951 to reseal everything including the AOS, both balance shaft housings, and everything else you can think of. It's not 105 yet, but it's been 90 and very humid, so the AC has been nice for this project too!
That is one big garage Matt! Nice!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:19 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

My "2" car garage for the time being (only can park one car, the other bay is a workshop). Will get me over until I buy a house in a few years. It's pretty messy right now as I'm trying to get the Audi back together. It also doesn't help that I have a larger collection of parts for BOTH project cars. Thankfully I've got a shed in the backyard that I store misc. stuff like spare wheels/tires/etc. I'll snap some pics of the workshop side after I clean in up (especially after looking at all the garages on here!)

Audi and Bike:

Blast cabinet and powdercoating oven:

And the 951 while it's being punished:

Much preferred the garage at my last rental, but the house part sucked (it was a MIL on top of the garage, so it had the footprint of the garage).
Old 05-01-2012, 02:59 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This was right after I "cleaned" the garage, it's much worse now. Fun fact: the oil stain on the concrete isn't from my Porsche, but from the previous owner's (of the house) Porsche 914.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:31 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine's still a work in progress, but I built a shop for my car. I've done everything, including the concrete, myself with the help of my dad and some friends. Here's my girlfriend 'studying' this spring while I 'worked' on the 951:

Old 05-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ever seen a bomb filled with tools and 3 944's worth of parts go off?

Well thats my garage in a nut shell lol

Quick Reply: Show your 951 garage pics here....