Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Hybrid stroker project

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:01 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're going to run a line to an electric pump and then to the head? Well it definitely can't hurt. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
a little more progress.

I am waiting for the undersize main bearings so I went ahead and did some measuring using the std main bearings to cradle the crank.

It looks like I have plenty of valve to piston clearance even as a non interfereance engine. I measured .145 on the intake and .170 on the exhaust. This is measured without a head gasket and using my milled head (.050) with piston at tdc. I will be measuring my custom cam tomorrow. I doubt there will be any difference considering the lift is the same. I also measureed to see how the big valve will fit and there is plenty of room.

there is plenty of clearance on the rod ends on all directions.
The pistons clear the bottom of the block with ease.

I will be working on fitting the rings and filling the balance shaft drains tomorrow.

Here are some photos. I will add some more of teh block tomorrow..

Sid,

Was the main reason for the block filler cylinder stabilization to prevent HG failure or added stability for the sleeves? What kind of dry sleeves are you using? Obviously the less expensive kind. TIA
Old 05-02-2012, 01:08 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A little of both , but moreso for the head gasket issues inherent to these engines. The sleeves are the std cast iron variety.

I am still waiting for my main bearings. They were held up in customs for some reason. As of now they are on their way here from Nevada so I should have them Thursday or Friday.

I've been just doing some cleaning on random parts getting them prepared.

I'm hoping to do the final assembly this weekend.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:39 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by refresh951
Sid,

Was the main reason for the block filler cylinder stabilization to prevent HG failure or added stability for the sleeves? What kind of dry sleeves are you using? Obviously the less expensive kind. TIA
The evolution of these blocks, the 944S2, and then 968, both have raised floors. So even Porsche saw it fit to add stabilization. Additionally, they siamesed the cylinders, and I've heard the GTR blocks also connected the cylinders with the outside of the block...

I am still waiting for my main bearings. They were held up in customs for some reason.
Bearings are a national security issue, lol.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:18 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

As to how they are fit; they are custom machined to fit the Chevy pin. In the future builds I will use custom pistons that will be using the Mitsubishi pin hole.

I hope this answers any questions you had. If you'd like to know more just ask
Sid,

How did you handle the difference in pin holes? I assume you had a slightly bigger pin bore machined on the in Eagle rods? If so, did you then install bigger pin bushing for the Chevy pin? TIA

Shawn
Old 05-05-2012, 12:33 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Shawn, from experience I went ahead and had the rods machined to fit the Chevy pins. There are no bushings. There is still plenty of material around the pin bore as it was a small amount larger than the original bore for the bushing.

I have ran quite a few engines in the past with this configuration so I know it works. In the future I will be using a custom piston using the Mitsubishi pin bore. I expect that the test engine will last for quite some time though so I'm not too worried.

I am still waiting on the main bearings... They were in Nevada Wednesday , I'm not sure what the hold up is.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:24 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Update,

Got the engine in Sunday with Josh's help, and got it started tonight. Had to bypass the MSD box for some reason, I'll have to look into why.

After that, it started right up. It sounds very crisp as most new engines do. The oil pressure is solid 3-4 bar at idle after being fully warmed up. Idle is as smooth as before, even without the balance shafts.

I have a couple of issues that made it unable to drive it tonight. First was that I misplaced the banjo fitting fot the mainifold vacuum. Next is a leak at the -4 line feeding the turbo, right at the turbo, I guess I've taken it off and on too many times

I changed the oil and it is very clean considering the brand new parts. After I drive it this weekend I will pull the pan on Monday on the lift and see what it all looks like.

Here are a few photos of the engine assembled and a couple of the AOS delete bungs welded in by DNovak. I temporarily am using some hardware store fittings for the vacuum and OIl fill tube. Dave has said he will make me something cool looking.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:35 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Awesome - I can't wait to get some logs!
Old 05-17-2012, 03:37 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you using an oil restrictor on the turbo?

I know a lot of the DSM guys running Holset turbos are running like .080 restrictors... Is there a need for it with the 944 oil supply?

I've wanted to ask you that forever, but always forgot. Now seems like a good time
Old 05-17-2012, 03:46 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Can't wait to see some logs!
Old 05-17-2012, 03:54 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Can't wait to see some logs!
I'll post some as soon as the motor is broken-in!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Old 05-17-2012, 09:15 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Awesome news Sid!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:20 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Originally Posted by m73m95
Are you using an oil restrictor on the turbo?

I know a lot of the DSM guys running Holset turbos are running like .080 restrictors... Is there a need for it with the 944 oil supply?

I've wanted to ask you that forever, but always forgot. Now seems like a good time
Yes I have been using a nitrous jet at one of the fittings. Good timing bringing this up because that may be the fitting I changed at the block. I'll have to look, either way the holsets seem to not really need one. I just had it left over from the garretts
Old 05-17-2012, 10:23 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
"Logs"..... Yes it will be nice to get some "logs"

Quick Reply: Hybrid stroker project