Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Hybrid stroker project

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:08 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok guys can't we all get along... Let's look at high altitude in another way. Take us human for example. We have trouble breathing at a higher altitude due to the thinning of air in the atmosphere, so there is now less concentration of oxygen so your heart and lungs are working harder to pump and compresses the air to make more red blood cell available to keep us a wake, less, we feel tired, lethargic, and want go to sleep So in a way, the turbo, or out engine- an air pump, having to pump or work harder just to compensate for this "higher elevation/altitude" and there for more work/enger is required and hence, no free lunch. Athletes train in these types of environment for the same reason as they simulate high altitude condition so as to condition their body, heart, lungs etc...to work harder and increase endurance and stamina for high level competition such as for the Olympics.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:24 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Is there a case of diminishing returns though? As we all know it gets colder up in the hills/mountains and when it gets colder our turbo cars run better. Is it merely that they benefit from the extra cooling of the air rather than a density matter? The air at Sea Level is denser but on a hot Summer's day down on the coast vs a cool morning in the Mountains, there is a voluble difference to the performance. I take it that this is merely temp not density. Having said that, isn't cooler air denser than hot air anyway?
Old 06-10-2012, 01:21 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Is there a case of diminishing returns though? As we all know it gets colder up in the hills/mountains and when it gets colder our turbo cars run better. Is it merely that they benefit from the extra cooling of the air rather than a density matter? The air at Sea Level is denser but on a hot Summer's day down on the coast vs a cool morning in the Mountains, there is a voluble difference to the performance. I take it that this is merely temp not density. Having said that, isn't cooler air denser than hot air anyway?
Yes, you are correct Patrick. It is also a double edge sword in this argument. It can go against my argument. But all this can be worked out quite well in math to tell you the truth. I've done as many numbers and variables as I could when I saw some ridiculous correction factor on a dyno. something like 20%!!!!!??? -NOT one of Sid's Dyno's. Blew my mind no one questioned it. I took in consideration my set up. My intake temps off what the pressure and temp was for the day and used my exact compressor map to review how it would react at that city. I think the city was only about 4500 ft high though. It was a year or two ago. In the end. My car would have lost about maybe 5-6% power. (25hp) That's a strong percentage, but nothing like 20%. That number is just ridiculous.

To do the math again, would be a bit time consuming. I was just having to prove something to myself back then. And honestly, if you don't have a firm grasp of how a compressor map works,it will be tough to fully understand all the dynamics.Which Sid and Rogue clearly do, So I feel compelled to argue this with them to either learn from , or put this to bed and move on to the next fun facts.

Last edited by 95ONE; 06-10-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:26 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Turbos that are near maxed out (flow or pressure) will not be able to make up the needed pressure and flow - making the altitude effect more dramatic. I agree.

However there are plenty of cars running up here with turbos that are not maxed. And they too run slower. Your GT30r car would have run slower here. Just because the turbo is not maxed, does not mean that it can make up the loss of atmospheric pressure for free. The turbo is working harder, that energy must come from somewhere (conservation of energy / 1st law of thermodynamics).

We can argue about it all day long, but the simple fact is cars run significantly slower up here - pull up youtube and watch videos of street cars at bandimere if you like.

Or take me up on my challenge, get a turbo car and bring it up here.
Complete and total sad face on this one. It is for this argument alone, I wish I still had one. Keep in mind, my argument is NOT that the power doesn't suffer at all. It certainly does, but very little. Definitely not a comparison of 8psi in Houston being like 12 psi in Colorado. (27.5%) Yes, the compressor works harder and builds more heat. It just doesn't lose that much.

I hope people understand that we are completely getting along. This is just an argument for information. In the end, everyone will take what they can from this and probably be bit smarter, or more confused Give me a little time tonight to try and cover everything I can, but I will of course, use every supporting tech / article I can to back it up.

Last edited by 95ONE; 06-10-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:25 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol, it's not like it's cooler up here. It was around 95 degrees in areas here today.

To be honest I'm done with this conversation. I feel it's an insult to my tuning capabilities and combination to keep bringing it up. I'm not worried about it I'll come gown to some decent air and we shall see what's up!!

F it!!! I'll pay 2 grand for any 951 owner to run their car at sub 2000 ft and then bring it up here and match their trap without having to crank up the boost. That should cover their expenses. The only way you get the $$ is to match your mph with 5 mph without cranking it up or completely changing your combination.

Believe me I'm not worried about losing $$, it just won't happen.

There it is, prove me wrong!!!

When I see gt35 WRX's run 12's at 116 and gtrs have a hard time breaking into the low elevens after being heavily modified, I don't need much more proof.

Anybody game????
Old 06-10-2012, 02:37 AM
95ONE
Race Car

EDIT: ...I clearly took this boosted power vs altitude thing too far on Sid's post. Apologies. Removed. Sid, I love what you did with this project and I wish all the best.

Last edited by 95ONE; 06-10-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:53 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Edit. Where did that damn delete button go?

Last edited by 95ONE; 06-10-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:30 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Lol Sid, it will take more than $2k to get me over there but if you're paying.

I wouldn't take any offense at anything I'm saying. I was merely wondering out loud. I read what Bruce is saying and don't see that as any slight on your abilities and I know he loves what you do more than most.

I think the better question to ask is; Ok so let's take it as fact that cars do run slower up where you guys are. Why is this so? If there's math to test or prove these results then we're all better off for it. What will be good is if you can get your car down the hill a bit and run it also. I find this interesting but it's not a deal breaker. Whatever our competition is, they have to run under the same climate as we do so...it's a bit like dyno's. They're good to test mods and tune with but my 350whp might be the same as someone else's 400whp. I still find when I read people with e.g. 400whp at 17psi totally incredible vs what I've seen on my car so these comparisons are just academic.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:16 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Patrick, as Sid mentioned, it isn't like it is a whole lot cooler here... Saw 90+ (~32+°C) here lately. Furthermore, the lower air density means your intercooler and radiator don't work as well. There isn't as much air-mass flowing over your radiator and intercooler, which means it isn't pulling as much heat out - the result is higher post-intercooler intake air temps. If you want to test out your cars cooling system, put it in a hot, thin-air environment... Exactly what we have here.

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Yes, you are correct Patrick. It is also a double edge sword in this argument. But all this can be worked out quite well in math to tell you the truth. I've done as many numbers and variables as I could when I saw some ridiculous correction factor on a dyno. something like 20%!!!!!??? -NOT one of Sid's Dyno's. Blew my mind no one questioned it. I took in consideration my set up. My intake temps off what the pressure and temp was for the day and used my exact compressor map to review how it would react at that city. I think the city was only about 4500 ft high though. It was a year or two ago. In the end. My car would have lost about maybe 5-6% power. (25hp) That's a strong percentage, but nothing like 20%. That number is just ridiculous.

To do the math again, would be a bit time consuming. I was just having to prove something to myself back then. And honestly, if you don't have a firm grasp of how a compressor map works,it will be tough to fully understand all the dynamics.Which Sid and Rogue clearly do, So I feel compelled to argue this with them to either learn from , or put this to bed and move on to the next fun facts.
Dyno correction numbers are a bit off for turbo cars, agreed. But this is exactly why Sid mentioned earlier in the thread about only trusting 1/4mi speeds. No matter how you slice it, 1/4mi is not going to change.

Complete and total sad face on this one. It is for this argument alone, I wish I still had one. Keep in mind, my argument is NOT that the power doesn't suffer at all. It certainly does, but very little. Definitely not a comparison of 8psi in Houston being like 12 psi in Colorado. (27.5%) Yes, the compressor works harder and builds more heat. It just doesn't lose that much.

I hope people understand that we are completely getting along. This is just an argument for information. In the end, everyone will take what they can from this and probably be bit smarter, or more confused Give me a little time tonight to try and cover everything I can, but I will of course, use every supporting tech / article I can to back it up.
Post up your math, and I'll show you where it falls short or is wrong. Not meaning to offend, but the old adage, "A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an opinion" holds true here. Furthermore, I've posted a relatively significant amount of math & points on this subject in the past, to include this thread to no effect... It seems that my effort does no good, as some just ignore any factual evidence I've posted.
Also, I'm not sure where you are pulling 27.5% from...? 12psi in Bandimere is 12psi + ~10.7psi of atmosphere, for 22.7psi total pressure; 8psi at sea-level is 8psi + 14.7psi of atmosphere, for 22.7psi total pressure. Sid's point holds, as 22.7psi total is the same in both locations.

Originally Posted by blown 944
Lol, it's not like it's cooler up here. It was around 95 degrees in areas here today.

To be honest I'm done with this conversation. I feel it's an insult to my tuning capabilities and combination to keep bringing it up. I'm not worried about it I'll come gown to some decent air and we shall see what's up!!

F it!!! I'll pay 2 grand for any 951 owner to run their car at sub 2000 ft and then bring it up here and match their trap without having to crank up the boost. That should cover their expenses. The only way you get the $$ is to match your mph with 5 mph without cranking it up or completely changing your combination.

Believe me I'm not worried about losing $$, it just won't happen.

There it is, prove me wrong!!!

When I see gt35 WRX's run 12's at 116 and gtrs have a hard time breaking into the low elevens after being heavily modified, I don't need much more proof.

Anybody game????
Yep - what we see all the time up here: stock ZR'1s are running ~112mph, vipers ~108mph, 600cc superbikes 108-112mph, STI WRX mid 90's, ect. Then to hear that "altitude doesn't make a difference" is a bit annoying, and incorrect.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:27 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

EDIT: ...I clearly took this boosted power vs altitude thing too far on Sid's post. Apologies. Removed. Sid, I love what you did with this project and I wish all the best.
Bruce, both Sid and I know that you are being genuine with your opinion, but the context is wrong. This is Sid's thread about his unique stroker engine, showing its merits. By arguing that altitude has no effect, your are (intentionally or not) diminishing the results of his achievement. Sid has run, IIRC, 116mph at 12psi of boost with this engine. To hit 110mph, I had to significantly more boost (and more aggressive timing). I highly doubt anyone would suggest that my car is poorly tuned.

The end result is that Sid's 2.9L motor, even with a very conservative tune, is leaps and bounds more powerful than my 2.5L. (and his has more potential)

I think the better question to ask is; Ok so let's take it as fact that cars do run slower up where you guys are. Why is this so? If there's math to test or prove these results then we're all better off for it. What will be good is if you can get your car down the hill a bit and run it also. I find this interesting but it's not a deal breaker. Whatever our competition is, they have to run under the same climate as we do so...it's a bit like dyno's. They're good to test mods and tune with but my 350whp might be the same as someone else's 400whp. I still find when I read people with e.g. 400whp at 17psi totally incredible vs what I've seen on my car so these comparisons are just academic.
Patrick, most of the altitude threads I have tried to quantify my response with maths, gas laws, energy conservation laws, common sense, ect... Sometimes people just need to experience it for themselves to believe it, I suppose. But if you are looking to kill time, a search for my name and altitude should provide you with lots of reading time.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:47 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

YI've done as many numbers and variables as I could when I saw some ridiculous correction factor on a dyno. something like 20%!!!!!??? -NOT one of Sid's Dyno's. Blew my mind no one questioned it. I took in consideration my set up.
That is about right. I have worked with some very accurate pressure gauges in Denver. I had to keep a system with 2-4 millibar over pressure. What I generally saw was 810-820 mbar absolute pressure. It could go 780 mbar to 860 mbar but those extremes weren't common.

Typical "standard" atmospheric pressure is 1013mbar.

820/1013 = 0.809

Therefore just by altitude, the 20% correction is a pretty good number.

Generally, for a turbo car, half the corrected number is used.

For example, the air flowing over the intercooler only has 80% of the mass (hence only 80% of the cooling capacity) as at sea level. (this is exactly how a hot wire mass airflow works...the mass of the air cools the wire, more mas= cooler wire).

-Dana
Old 06-10-2012, 12:06 PM
piperporsche180944
Burning Brakes

Bruce, that link has bit of marketing hyperbole, and definitely leaves out a lot of important assumptions & info.
I will match any math you want to put up, and I have the empirical data to back up the "theory" that vehicles, turbo or not, are less powerful up here.

Being at this altitude means that you are at a higher differential on the compressor. This means that the turbo is generally having to hit a higher RPM, to make up both pressure and flow. This is absolutely not a free-hp situation. As you know the classical kinetic energy formula E = ½ mv². The energy required to increase the turbo RPMs is not a linear relationship. The velocity is squared, so any increase in velocity is going to require a velocity change squared increase in power.

One might say that the "lower post-turbine pressure" equalizes this, but then they are forgetting entropy: that their is unusable energy losses any time energy changes from one form to another.
Additionally, as Shawn mentioned there is adiabatic losses from having a higher pressure differential. If we look at the compressor, even assuming an ideal compressor (100% efficient), compressing air produces heat (ideal gas law). Having a lower starting point (atmosphere), means we have to compress the air just to get back to sea-level. To achieve the same 15psi in Denver as sea-level, we generally have to compress the air an extra ~3psi. More compression = more heat.

On 99% of turbo cars, there is not a 1:1 manifold pressure relationship (post-turbo intake pressure vs pre-turbo exhaust pressure). Generally, the relationship is 1:1.5 to 1:2.5, specifics-dependent. This further diminishes the "lower post-turbine pressure" advantage. Even if we assume no entropy, no turbo RPM change, and no adiabatic losses (all are ridiculous assumptions), and just apply the intake vs exhaust pressure ratio, then we are still at a dis-advantage.
For example: Assume X setup has a good 1:1.5 ratio. At Denver altitude, there is 3.0psi less air pressure than sea-level. So we need to make an additionally 3psi of intake pressure to account for the lesser atmospheric pressure. Then by the 1:1.5 ratio, the turbine side needs an additional 4.5psi of drive pressure... 4.5 required is greater than the 3.0 gained from less post-turbine pressure. Therefore, we are, again, losing power.

So, anyone that feels different: I lay out this challenge. Run your car, 1/4mi, at/near sea-level. Then come up here (you won't find a better prepped track), and run your car again without any changes. I do not care what your setup is, you will run a slower MPH.
I agree with you 100%. You and I basically had the same set up when you had a 2.5L (with my 1988). I was trapping 111mph at 15lbs with a bad clutch at 600ft. What did you trap at 15lbs up there?
Old 06-10-2012, 12:20 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Whatever our competition is, they have to run under the same climate as we do so...it's a bit like dyno's. They're good to test mods and tune with but my 350whp might be the same as someone else's 400whp. I still find when I read people with e.g. 400whp at 17psi totally incredible vs what I've seen on my car so these comparisons are just academic.
What you say is true regarding the competition runs the same conditions.

However, what happens is that gu like you want to compare what you run at sea level to what is run here and then make statements about it.

Think about this. My hayabusa runs about 18-20mph slower quarter mile times as it would at sea level. So you could look at my mph from bandimere and conclude that you may actually be able to hang with one for a while.

There is math to support why they are slower.

A turbine has a moment of inertia defined by the mass and and diameter. Less mass of air off boost means that it takes longer to spool up. Compressing air 20% more creates 20% more heat (ideal gas law... pv=nrt). Turbines need to be bigger because of different pressure ratios. Bigger turbos = more lag. Intercoolers are cooling with 20% less air mass flowing over them. 951s do not have variable boost based upon altitude, boost must be manually changed. This doesn't seem like much, but gain 5000ft of altitude in on a drive and see what it does.

Next, up gasoline is formulated to most cars having 20% less effective combustion pressures. This means fuel is available in 85 (regular) 87 (mid grade) and 91 (super) octanes. We cannot get 93 octane. Again, even if you can boost to sea level, you have less octane.

Moving further along, all cooling of the car (i.e. radiator) has 20% less mass of air flowing over it. This is normally pretty well offset by lower power, but cranking up a turbo can create heat problems.

There are plenty of mathematical reason (start with the ideal gas law) and it is clear why they arent the same.

Now, there is one type of power enhancement that doesn't take the altitude hit: nitrous. It brings it own oxygen to the party.

-Dana
Old 06-10-2012, 12:25 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Bruce, both Sid and I know that you are being genuine with your opinion, but the context is wrong. This is Sid's thread about his unique stroker engine, showing its merits. By arguing that altitude has no effect, your are (intentionally or not) diminishing the results of his achievement. Sid has run, IIRC, 116mph at 12psi of boost with this engine. To hit 110mph, I had to significantly more boost (and more aggressive timing). I highly doubt anyone would suggest that my car is poorly tuned.

The end result is that Sid's 2.9L motor, even with a very conservative tune, is leaps and bounds more powerful than my 2.5L. (and his has more potential)
I also added data to shwo what the comparison was.

A K27/6 (with APE MAF) at 16psi I ran 103mph

My Vitesse S2R at 13psi boost I ran 104mph.

So, essentially, running similar boost to the S2R, Sid has me by around 10mph which is about 100hp.

You guys need to compare data points that are similar. I have given you two. Josh has given you one.

-Dana

PS. I will throw another data point out there. My hayabusa I have run 131mph. I have also run 136mph on a GSXR.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by DanaT
Now, there is one type of power enhancement that doesn't take the altitude hit: nitrous. It brings it own oxygen to the party.
dont give sid any ideas...

Quick Reply: Hybrid stroker project