Hybrid stroker project

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 10:39 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
I do think that this setup has the capability to run over 120 at lower elevation, and I can't wait to ship one there
I'll send you that block and you send me back your new motor on a pallet, I'll let you know how it does
Old 05-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dunno V2, you've got that smoggy California air, I think Florida would get better test results...
Old 05-28-2012, 06:54 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome results Sid, congrats!
Old 05-28-2012, 01:06 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott H
I dunno V2, you've got that smoggy California air, I think Florida would get better test results...
the smog makes the air thicker - denser equals more power...

...you can almost swim in it...

*cough*
Old 05-28-2012, 06:04 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn you sid.

That is making a ton of power.

With 12psi are you running E85 like you normally do or are you running pump gas?

Any interest on dynoing the car? I am have a spot reserved to do mine, but I will have to cancel (i won't be home until June 8 and my spot is June 5..). You have a PM incoming..

-Dana
Old 05-28-2012, 06:16 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Patrick, that is a good question. And one I've been thinking very hard about. To be brutally honest, I expected to run no better than mid to high13's at around 107ish at that boost level. To put it into perspective, a 2.5 at the same pressure can barely (if at all) break 100mph.

So to give an honest answer....

I think quite a bit of the gain was from the added mid range power of the added cubes. However, I think there is much more to be gained still and I can't lie. I think the lightweight parts, my cleaning up the combustion chambers (in shrouding the valves since I have a larger bore). Or there is another bit of work I did with the quench area that may turn out to be of great benefit.

We'll have to see what kind of power others make with my setup to see where the extra gains are from.

I do think that this setup has the capability to run over 120 at lower elevation, and I can't wait to ship one there
I know it's totally impractical but it would be nice to see what differences those mods make in isolation Sid. ie the quench or combustion chamber mods. Nevertheless, great results and watching this space.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:59 PM
piperporsche180944
Burning Brakes

Are you ready to build my 3.1L yet?

Ill show you what your set up does at 600ft.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:22 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by piperporsche180944
Are you ready to build my 3.1L yet?

Ill show you what your set up does at 600ft.
Ready when you are. Just have to see if the cranks I sourced are still available to determine final price.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 PM
piperporsche180944
Burning Brakes

Ready when you are. Just have to see if the cranks I sourced are still available to determine final price.
Based on your times, I am very impressed. My goal with a 944 is to trap 130+, the closest I got was trapping 117mph with my previous 2.8L set up at 14lbs. Shoot me specific pricing quotes if you want to undertake a second build. Could you also pm how varying the displacement (2.8, 2.9, 3.0, 3.1, etc...) will effect pricing? The sooner the better, I have unfinished business with a ZR1
Old 05-28-2012, 11:44 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I finally got around to reading this thread... very cool stuff, and NICE WORK!!
Old 05-31-2012, 02:31 PM
blown 944
Race Car

In keeping with my tradition of posting crap , good and bad. I'll keep this thread updated with my escapades weekly since I don't see myself running any other engine besides my combo.

I had been driving the car daily and trying to track down a Misfire that was random at low boost and constant if I even turned the **** slightly. I thought I had it figured out by completely unhooking the MSD box because I was able to run a bit more boost without trouble.

My plan was to change the cam and go back up to the track but I decided I'd wait until the lash caps can in in case I need them.

So rather than that I thought we'd try some timing and just get practice.

Went to the track again last night. It was somewhat in productive. I just kept blowing the tires off every run. It was so bad that my logs look like first gear is 5 gears. The car hardly started moving before half track. I'm not sure why it's do bad, but my guess is that the tires I have on now are not as sticky as the other khumho's (these are both radial comparisons, I have drag radials too). I am also needing to re-learn how to launch it w/o the two step.

Anyway, the best I ran was a 12.71. The mph was down a little in the quarter but up in the 1/8. Kinda weird but I think it was also a little leaner at 10-11 psi. Oh yes, I had to run the boost lower to even get off the line and to avoid the misfire that reared its ugly head once again.

Onto the misfire. Josh and I swapped every electronic part over after my last run because it got really bad on that run and then carried over to the pit. Even became a no start. Finally after changing out the parts I cut apart the s/r harness and wiggled the wires and voila.... Started right up.

So a new harness will be installed and by the next time I run it I should have the cam on and be able to run some boost....oh yes....tires!!!! I will have to have a sticky set on....

Good news is that after hitting the rev limiter repeatedly, lugging, and all kinds of crap it still drove home perfectly and to work perfectly today.

That's it for this weeks drag entertainment...what a drag.,.,
Old 05-31-2012, 02:41 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

In keeping with my tradition of posting crap , good and bad. I'll keep this thread updated with my escapades weekly since I don't see myself running any other engine besides my combo.

I had been driving the car daily and trying to track down a Misfire that was random at low boost and constant if I even turned the **** slightly. I thought I had it figured out by completely unhooking the MSD box because I was able to run a bit more boost without trouble.

My plan was to change the cam and go back up to the track but I decided I'd wait until the lash caps can in in case I need them.

So rather than that I thought we'd try some timing and just get practice.

Went to the track again last night. It was somewhat in productive. I just kept blowing the tires off every run. It was so bad that my logs look like first gear is 5 gears. The car hardly started moving before half track. I'm not sure why it's do bad, but my guess is that the tires I have on now are not as sticky as the other khumho's (these are both radial comparisons, I have drag radials too). I am also needing to re-learn how to launch it w/o the two step.

Anyway, the best I ran was a 12.71. The mph was down a little in the quarter but up in the 1/8. Kinda weird but I think it was also a little leaner at 10-11 psi. Oh yes, I had to run the boost lower to even get off the line and to avoid the misfire that reared its ugly head once again.

Onto the misfire. Josh and I swapped every electronic part over after my last run because it got really bad on that run and then carried over to the pit. Even became a no start. Finally after changing out the parts I cut apart the s/r harness and wiggled the wires and voila.... Started right up.

So a new harness will be installed and by the next time I run it I should have the cam on and be able to run some boost....oh yes....tires!!!! I will have to have a sticky set on....

Good news is that after hitting the rev limiter repeatedly, lugging, and all kinds of crap it still drove home perfectly and to work perfectly today.

That's it for this weeks drag entertainment...what a drag.,.,
Hopefully its not next Wed....still in the Fatherland until Thursday....want to see this thing run...

-Dana
Old 05-31-2012, 02:52 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Sid,

Would it possible to give us local guys a heads up on when you're planning to run? I, like several others would like to meet you at the track some time but never know when you're going to be there.

TIA

Michael
Old 05-31-2012, 02:55 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Originally Posted by DanaT
Hopefully its not next Wed....still in the Fatherland until Thursday....want to see this thing run...

-Dana
I'm sure I'll be running it weekly after I get some issues sorted.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:58 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Is there a particular night that you will be running? Is the "CSP" night the night you typically do? It seems like it is the only possibbly "open" night Bandimere has (But as I've never been I don't know that for certain)

Quick Reply: Hybrid stroker project