Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

worth of vitesse kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
The MAF doesn't care which turbo is installed, stock or GT35/etc.
Incorrect.

Anything outside of the most recent "V-Flex Plus" versions are programmed to the specific turbo. A turbo change would require the chip be remapped.

I didn't think of that when I posted. To the OP - you definitely want to sell the turbo with the setup.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:02 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
I thought with Vitesse's kit it needed to have the chips correctly programmed for each turbo as they each have a different boost curve. What is the reason for the MAP sensor then?
V-Flex w/MAP sensor only altered timing. It didn't alter fueling until you get to the more recent V-Flex Plus.

Regardless - OP didn't say he had a V-Flex setup, and I don't see a MAP sensor in the picture.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:17 PM
TheDice951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carlege
Wasnt your MAF sensor broken?
Like I posted originally, that's why I replaced the kit with the M-tune. I thought it was screwed up but after the m-tune was installed all the same symptoms were present. It turned out to be the knock sensor and harness...
Old 04-03-2012, 10:25 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you thought it was the MAF but it turned out to be the knock sensor, what did it do? I think I have a problem with mine right now...
Old 04-04-2012, 01:24 AM
TheDice951
Racer

Ran rich, had what felt like no power out of boost, was not smooth under acceleration, hesitation transitioning into boost.... It just didn't feel right.

It now runs great, now if only i could get this EBC set up right....
Old 04-04-2012, 02:14 AM
mclarenno9
Pro

Whoa... slow down guys. Lots of misinformation in this thread.

Since this is a "true" MAF it will support any turbo. You will maintain good A/F ratios no matter what the turbo/boost level... unless you run out of fuel delivery, etc. A piggyback can be used to fine tweak but it is not necessary.

The only thing you must keep with the kit is the injectors for which it is programmed for.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:28 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Incorrect.

Anything outside of the most recent "V-Flex Plus" versions are programmed to the specific turbo. A turbo change would require the chip be remapped.

I didn't think of that when I posted. To the OP - you definitely want to sell the turbo with the setup.
Nope, it's is correct. When I got a new chip for my setup, only info needed is injectors, specific MAF, and IAT sensor used. John never asked once what turbo I was running. If you look on his website, the only thing he cares about is your engine size due to the timing differences (and/or he uses a different size MAF for the increased flow), and never cares about which turbo you have.

Same goes for the Rogue stuff and that's the true beauty of a true-MAF system. As long as you keep the same fueling setup, you can flow more air (via larger turbo or increased boost) without changing (much) tuning.

Originally Posted by mclarenno9
Whoa... slow down guys. Lots of misinformation in this thread.

Since this is a "true" MAF it will support any turbo. You will maintain good A/F ratios no matter what the turbo/boost level... unless you run out of fuel delivery, etc. A piggyback can be used to fine tweak but it is not necessary.

The only thing you must keep with the kit is the injectors for which it is programmed for.
That's a bingo!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea.. that MAF will work with any turbo. I went from a 26/6 to a 60-1 with no other changes needed, didnt even have the piggyback at that time. Its the injectors and fuel pressure that the MAF is setup for.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:43 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

It's a good thing you held out for a decent offer, and you ignored the low ballers. Your kit was a couple of years old but in very good condition you got fair money for it, considering the new V-MAF+ (std. MAF now), offers all the features (boost based ignition & fuel, user defined overboost & rev-limits..) is for the same price of $1250 as the old base kit from years ago.

You are correct, as a policy support is offered to the original owner. There are many reasons for this, which have been addressed many times already, so I would not go into it. HOWEVER, in the 11+ years in business, I'm yet to turn away anyone if he/she asked for help in a polite and nice manner and were reasonable. The OP got help as far as last year and he was not the original owner, many others on this forum and elsewhere as well.

Originally Posted by ramius665
I sold my complete Vitesse MAF, injectors, connector harness ($125 on it's own) and chip with less than 50 miles of usage for about $1300. That's 2/3 of what I bought it new for and it was in the same condition that it came out of the shipping box. I had a lot of offers in the $600-$800 range but I just couldn't lose that much money so I held out.

Since your kit looks well-used, I'd jump all over an offer of $900.

On a side note, John Vitesse does not//not offer free support to anyone that buys his kits second-hand.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDice951
Like I posted originally, that's why I replaced the kit with the M-tune. I thought it was screwed up but after the m-tune was installed all the same symptoms were present. It turned out to be the knock sensor and harness...
The price of any product depends on the condition and on how bad the seller wants to sell. People will try to get it for as little as possible.

Did you actually verify that the MAF sensor was not damaged? Perhaps you want to update your thread Here so potential buyers are aware of the latest findings, which will help you sell it.

GLWS
Old 04-04-2012, 12:44 PM
TheDice951
Racer

Thanks man! (fast951) you have helped me in the past. I do appreciate that!! I will update the other thread, thanks.

What would you say my kit is worth? I have a sale pending, I just want to know for future reference.

Thanks everyone!!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Nope, it's is correct. When I got a new chip for my setup, only info needed is injectors, specific MAF, and IAT sensor used. John never asked once what turbo I was running. If you look on his website, the only thing he cares about is your engine size due to the timing differences (and/or he uses a different size MAF for the increased flow), and never cares about which turbo you have.

Same goes for the Rogue stuff and that's the true beauty of a true-MAF system. As long as you keep the same fueling setup, you can flow more air (via larger turbo or increased boost) without changing (much) tuning.

That's a bingo!
When I ordered mine - he asked.

And note the website now discusses "V-Flex Plus". It doesn't cover info on the older stuff (and why should it - it's not for sale anymore.)

I don't care either way, I don't run it anymore... but I do think it's important to get the correct info out there for people buying these older kids second hand. If I'm wrong, I'll happily stand corrected. As I understand it, this was part of the advantage to getting the updates to his latest V-Flex Plus.

But in an original MAF setup - without a MAP sensor - the DME still has no idea how much boost it's getting. So you have a MAF signal - the DME still has to decide how much of that air is boost, and how much is just due to the engine's VE. A bigger turbo is going to let more air flow through the motor at low boost levels (better VE) but without MAP the DME doesn't know that. Hence why I understand the chip still needs to be mapped for the appropriate turbo.

John - since you're obviously here in the thread... can you comment? Does the original (non-V-Flex and non-V-Flex+ like the OP is selling here) MAF setup require (or do you recommend) any mapping changes if you swap out turbos?

Last edited by User 52121; 04-04-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:47 PM
TheDice951
Racer

Ok! Let me clarify some things. This kit was swapped out because I thought it was the cause of my running issues. The MAF circuitry looked burnt up. I emailed John and he was surprised it still ran. (My other thread he posted above). I had pics but someone just said I deleted them??? I never deleted anything.... I am not trying to scam anyone!!!

When I installed the M-tune it didn't change any of the issues I was having. The only changes I felt were the obvious tune differences... Like I said originally, the knock sensor fixed most everything when I replaces it. That was AFTER I already switched to the M-tune. I am still having some issues with vacuum so by all logical reasoning I figure the kit is still running fine. Upon closer inspection of the circuitry in the MAF itself it looks to all be in working order, just discolored. I, however can not prove, without using it on someone's car, that it is 100% working order... I figured that would have been evident when I stated that it was removed to fix an issue and the issue was fixed with the new tune installed...

I apologize to anyone that felt misinformed....

Thank you.

This is the image that was supposedly deleted!!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 PM
m carter
Instructor

Dice does my engine work and keeps my 951 running great!!! I trust this guy 100% He would not scam someone!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheDice951
I am still having some issues with vacuum
Originally Posted by m carter
Dice does my engine work and keeps my 951 running great!!! I trust this guy 100% He would not scam someone!!!
Carter wouldnt you want to hire someone that has a car thats running right before you let them work on your vehicle?

No offense Dice this just doesn't make sense to me.

Quick Reply: worth of vitesse kit?