Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   944 Transmission Walkthrough (image heavy) (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/686949-944-transmission-walkthrough-image-heavy.html)

eman930 03-22-2012 10:59 AM

Killer thread man, Thanks for the info, Saving this one!!

chrenan 03-22-2012 01:09 PM

Amazing thread! Its still a big magic box to me, but I understand it a little better, thanks.

JET951 03-23-2012 05:36 AM

no worries guys glad we can help. Thought it about time for another tech thread.

Remotecontroller 10-09-2012 01:27 AM

Tool requirements/availability

Amazing write up - thanks!!

Couple of questions - the preload tool looks to be VERY specific to this application. I would like to try a rebuild but not sure where to find the tools that are necessary. Does anybody have any ideas on this?

Also, who sells shims?

In looking at different vendors it looks like around $850 for bearings, synchros, seals and gaskets for a complete rebuild.

Lastly, does anybody make a spool for these transmissions? Me and some buddies race and options are $1800 LSD unit or weld the spider gears. Anybody make a spool to keep this clean and cheap?

Thanks,

Ken

badcoupe 10-09-2012 01:31 PM

none of the ones I have to rebuild are ever that clean! Good thread, I've done 5 or of them now, not the worst ones to do but still a bit tricky.

Chris Prack 10-09-2012 04:15 PM

Know anyone looking to sell a 385 bar etc? I have been looking for several years and have not found one available.

Triple_T 10-09-2012 05:12 PM

Thanks for the timely write up! :bowdown:
I have a spare LSD in need of rebuild...winter project.

JET951 10-09-2012 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Remotecontroller (Post 9903568)
Amazing write up - thanks!!

Couple of questions - the preload tool looks to be VERY specific to this application. I would like to try a rebuild but not sure where to find the tools that are necessary. Does anybody have any ideas on this?

Also, who sells shims?

In looking at different vendors it looks like around $850 for bearings, synchros, seals and gaskets for a complete rebuild.

Lastly, does anybody make a spool for these transmissions? Me and some buddies race and options are $1800 LSD unit or weld the spider gears. Anybody make a spool to keep this clean and cheap?

Thanks,

Ken

Shims can be bought directly from Porsche. You could also ask some of the vendors like paragon or pelican about them too.

have not seen any spools for a 944 transmission.

Originally Posted by badcoupe (Post 9904494)
none of the ones I have to rebuild are ever that clean! Good thread, I've done 5 or of them now, not the worst ones to do but still a bit tricky.

The transmission got a wash before we took it apart. i always try and clean them first. that way it keeps the floor/workbench and tools clean

Originally Posted by Chris Prack (Post 9905029)
Know anyone looking to sell a 385 bar etc? I have been looking for several years and have not found one available.

have you tried directly from Porsche or VW. Being that it has a VW part vw 385/1

Chris Prack 10-09-2012 09:17 PM

Been NLA for years.

J1720 10-09-2012 09:44 PM

:thumbup: WOW Great Write Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dutch944 01-08-2013 10:15 AM

Thanks so much for this write up! A friend of mine told me about this thread and i'm lucky that Thingo knew the name of the topic, because rebuild or revision is not said in this topic..
I'll be using all of this in the near future to rebuild my S2 gearbox and probably add a LSD in it!

Ryan_U 01-08-2013 10:49 AM

This is an excellent tutorial with clear instructions a great pictures.

Before I undertake such a repair, can somebody help me with something? When he says remove the bolts, is it righty-tighty / lefty-loosey or is it righty-a-way to the check book and have somebody else do this for you before you loosey your mind because this looks way out of my league.

Makes my oil changing skills look like a kindergarten finger painting versus Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa.

White_951 02-04-2013 06:33 PM

Bump for an awesome thread....just a quick question...what is the torque value for that last bolt underneath the lid/rear seal????

Thanks!

JET951 02-04-2013 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dutch944 (Post 10127193)
Thanks so much for this write up! A friend of mine told me about this thread and i'm lucky that Thingo knew the name of the topic, because rebuild or revision is not said in this topic..
I'll be using all of this in the near future to rebuild my S2 gearbox and probably add a LSD in it!

Not a problem.

Originally Posted by Ryan_U (Post 10127264)
This is an excellent tutorial with clear instructions a great pictures.

Before I undertake such a repair, can somebody help me with something? When he says remove the bolts, is it righty-tighty / lefty-loosey or is it righty-a-way to the check book and have somebody else do this for you before you loosey your mind because this looks way out of my league.

Makes my oil changing skills look like a kindergarten finger painting versus Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa.

All bolts are anti clockwise to loosen and clockwise to tighten. its not terribly difficult but it could be time consuming if its your first go at it

Originally Posted by White_951 (Post 10197095)
Bump for an awesome thread....just a quick question...what is the torque value for that last bolt underneath the lid/rear seal????

Thanks!

70NM / 51 ft lb

Regards
Sean

White_951 02-04-2013 07:07 PM

Thank you sir!