Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 Transmission Walkthrough (image heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Great pictures!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Peedster
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice!

If only installing an LSD, would the procedure be exactly the same except taking apart the pinion for bearing change? Cause the be bearings was the reason for taking pinion apart?

Does the crown wheel and pinion sit on the LSD? And could some steps be skipped if only installing LSD?

Is this considered a complete rebuild of the transmission or would that include all gears too?

My 220 tranny is whining....what is wrong with it?

Thanks
/P
Old 03-20-2012, 04:44 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Very Very nice.

How do you save a thread to the HD. Not just a bookmark, but the entire thread?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:29 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peedster
Nice!

If only installing an LSD, would the procedure be exactly the same except taking apart the pinion for bearing change? Cause the be bearings was the reason for taking pinion apart?

Does the crown wheel and pinion sit on the LSD? And could some steps be skipped if only installing LSD?

Is this considered a complete rebuild of the transmission or would that include all gears too?

Thanks
/P
If you just replace the "ring" portion, the carrier, the bearings, that kind of thing, the job is MUCH easier! Also note that the specs for a new rebuild are different than one that has been in service (specifically, the torque to turn is 200N-cm versus about 60 N-cm). The service manual for this is pretty good, but this post is MUCH less ambiguous.

Gears are rarely, if ever, replaced. Usually just the synchros and shaft bearings, from MY experience, but I defer to the OP on this.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Peedster
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok,

What would aprox the parts of a typical rebuild cost and where can I find the parts?
My tranny has 120k miles and whines. Would it be difficult to cure this for a DIY?

Can I service the LSD and at what cost or do I source a new one?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:31 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
Great write-up! Thanks much for posting that. A few questions for you.
1. The factory manual states 0.30mm should be added to the pinion shim thickness for pre-load, and 0.50mm should be added for carrier shim thickness for pre-load. My experience shows these numbers to be too thick by about 0.15 and 0.10mm, respecitvely. Curious as to your experience?
2. Of the three transaxles I have, one of them (came from an S2) has a shim/plate between the gear housing and rear housing that is probably 8mm thick. I have never seen any references to it elsewhere. I'm curious to know if you've seen this, and if so, any info as to whey itis there? FWIW, the rear housing on that transaxle is shorter by that much. The one that has it is the only one wihtout a cooling loop.
3. Any secrets for removing the triple-square bolt from the back of the input shaft? I eventually got them, but they are bears!
Hi 67King
We have found that the specs in the manual are really only suggestions. In fact in almost every rebuild we have done the shims are usually out more then that. From experience we use just the shims that were original to the box and then check the preload, modify if necessary then move onto the depth and modify if necessary. I will say we have an advantage here in that we have hundreds of shims to suit the 4 main bearings (S1, S2 and S3, S4)
I dont believe i have seen the shim you are referring to, but i may be wrong. Joka seems to be onto something there.
I should have included the trans lock we have.(i will edit the original and add it)
We have a tool that goes on the input shaft splines. that way you can lock it into a vice, select a gear(which locks the gear set) and then you can undo the triple square with a breaker bar.
Name:  944Translock003.jpg
Views: 8898
Size:  112.8 KB
Name:  944Translock001.jpg
Views: 9246
Size:  72.5 KB

Originally Posted by Peedster
Nice!

Thanks
/P
When installing just the LSD you need to remove the main case with the gearset. But you will not need to remove the gearset from the main case as you will be working only on the diff case.

The crown wheel does bolt to the LSD. you will need to remove the bearings on the LSD to install the Crownwheel. Always use new crownwheel bolts. they are a one use wonder. You will then only have to set diff preload and diff backlash. all the other steps are there only to dismantle the gearset.

As 67King has mentioned usually you will not be replacing and gears. You would most likely replace a few Syncros and bearings. Unless you have damage to a Gear itself. Gears are matched so that you cannot just replace one side of the gear. For instance if you damaged the input shaft 5th gear then you would need to replace the Pinion 5th gear. Or else you could get whine in that gear.

If your 220 Transmissions whines then there could be multiple issues. If it whines in every gear then it is most likely from the crown wheel and pinion or a bearing associated with it. Obviously if it whines only in a particular gear(s) then the issue can be traced just to those matched gears.

If you just replace the "ring" portion, the carrier, the bearings, that kind of thing, the job is MUCH easier! Also note that the specs for a new rebuild are different than one that has been in service (specifically, the torque to turn is 200N-cm versus about 60 N-cm). The service manual for this is pretty good, but this post is MUCH less ambiguous.

Gears are rarely, if ever, replaced. Usually just the synchros and shaft bearings, from MY experience, but I defer to the OP on this.
You are completely correct 67King. New bearing preloads are to be set a little tighter then a used bearing. The specs i have included are for New bearings.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:24 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you know your nuts sean.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome Sean,

Thank you for sharing this. I will be tearing into an extra box I have that has something wrong with second gear. I will be referring back to this when I do.

Thanks again!!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:56 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Great writeup Sean. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Agreed that this should be in a sticky somewhere. Haven't seen much moderation in this part of the world for some time.

What would General Melchant say??
Old 03-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Very good writeup, the only thing that I was going to add its that you need a means of holding the input shaft still in order to break loose or torque the bolt that is on the tail end of the input shaft. But, your subsequent post shows a proper tool in order to do so. I have something similar laying around my shop, but I could not find it the last time I had my trans apart, so I put an extra clamping sleeve that I had laying around onto the input shaft (the one that normally goes there to clamp the input shaft of the transmission to the splined driveshaft of the torque tube) in a vise and was able to loosen and torque the bolt that way. Be sure that it is indeed a spare clamping sleeve, as it can easily break given the amount of torque involved!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:44 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JET951
I should have included the trans lock we have.(i will edit the original and add it)
We have a tool that goes on the input shaft splines. that way you can lock it into a vice, select a gear(which locks the gear set) and then you can undo the triple square with a breaker bar.
I was using a spare driveshaft couple that I had - but I actually broke the thing! I ended up putting a monkey wrench on the round part of it after I broke it, which did work.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:35 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

as per the others this is a fantastic write-up and it comes at the exact perfect time for me as I have a turbo trans getting a Guards LSD this week
Old 03-21-2012, 07:05 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
What would General Melchant say??
Naaay!

Originally Posted by Droops83
Very good writeup, the only thing that I was going to add its that you need a means of holding the input shaft still in order to break loose or torque the bolt that is on the tail end of the input shaft. But, your subsequent post shows a proper tool in order to do so. I have something similar laying around my shop, but I could not find it the last time I had my trans apart, so I put an extra clamping sleeve that I had laying around onto the input shaft (the one that normally goes there to clamp the input shaft of the transmission to the splined driveshaft of the torque tube) in a vise and was able to loosen and torque the bolt that way. Be sure that it is indeed a spare clamping sleeve, as it can easily break given the amount of torque involved!
I was just about to comment that would be a good way to hold the input shaft. Maybe it may work even better with a hex bolt installed in the sleeve and torqued up. That way the sleeve would not be able to splay.

I was using a spare driveshaft couple that I had - but I actually broke the thing! I ended up putting a monkey wrench on the round part of it after I broke it, which did work.
There is not much a monkey wrench wont fix. Were you still able to torque it up when assembling?
Old 03-22-2012, 03:22 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very good write up Sean. I just printed it out and will use it as a guide line in my future trans projects. Thank You
Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write-up guys. I'll keep you in mind next time I need some transmission work done.

Quick Reply: 944 Transmission Walkthrough (image heavy)