Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stolen Transmission Alert - AOR trans stolen off my trailer

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In rural Alaska, there's a tradition called 'Dog Day', once a year, on a well publicized date, it's open season on stray animals roaming the Villages. Sorry PITA, but it's a solution that works! When we passed a 'Three Strikes - Your Out' law here in Wash., I didn't realize that meant three Felony arrests and your not put in Prison anymore, their 'Out' on the street in 24 hrs.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:23 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ronin-951
In rural Alaska, there's a tradition called 'Dog Day', once a year, on a well publicized date, it's open season on stray animals roaming the Villages. Sorry PITA, but it's a solution that works! When we passed a 'Three Strikes - Your Out' law here in Wash., I didn't realize that meant three Felony arrests and your not put in Prison anymore, their 'Out' on the street in 24 hrs.
Out? on the street?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:40 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronin-951
Glad that you told me I was planning to visit Alaska but I dont want to be shot down in the middle of the street
Old 02-07-2012, 11:32 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 571 Posts

Jeez that really sucks. I cannot imagine someone stealing that unless they had some idea what application it was meant for.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Sad thing is that it may be scrapped for just the metal. It would not hurt to look there.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:43 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Ya know it just occurred to me that most storage places have video camera surveillance ? Maybe they will turn it over to the cops ?
They have a few cameras in the one I got to And they have to enter a code to get in or out....
GL

Um yeah. That brings up the other sore point.

The facility is has Y shaped barbed wire all around. An electric gate which requires a remote after 5pm, other wise it's open all day.

And yes there are two stragecially placed video cameras. Placed perfectly to record who is coming in and out.

OH... BUT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!

When I asked to see the video, I was told that the cameras are not real. They are there just for looks!

WOW

That really upset me.

Then they told me that their contract informs me that they are not liable for theft, bla bla bla

I think there might be something legally with them having the cameras conspicuously located aimed at the gate, and me the tenant believing that there were real and to some degree, basing my decision to rent from there, at least partially, based on the fact that there are security cameras.

Any lawyers in the house????

TonyG
Old 02-08-2012, 11:19 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

I don't know what to tell you on that but it's something to keep in mind if I ever need to rent a storage unit. Sucks dude.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:55 AM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by TonyG
Um yeah. That brings up the other sore point.

The facility is has Y shaped barbed wire all around. An electric gate which requires a remote after 5pm, other wise it's open all day.

And yes there are two stragecially placed video cameras. Placed perfectly to record who is coming in and out.

OH... BUT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!

When I asked to see the video, I was told that the cameras are not real. They are there just for looks!

WOW

That really upset me.

Then they told me that their contract informs me that they are not liable for theft, bla bla bla

I think there might be something legally with them having the cameras conspicuously located aimed at the gate, and me the tenant believing that there were real and to some degree, basing my decision to rent from there, at least partially, based on the fact that there are security cameras.

Any lawyers in the house????

TonyG
you did leave it out on a trailer. most of the responsibility is in your court.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Glad that you told me I was planning to visit Alaska but I dont want to be shot down in the middle of the street
Lart, ... totally believe you to be innocent of crimes against humanitiy, jury still out on 944's though. In Alaska, your problem would be some little Eskimo Pie making you into a six month bed warmer, you are such a Stud Muffin!
And ya, we catch copper thieves on Friday, and their back over the weekend, same guy's and gal's, yes, females too. One guy has 168 FENONY convictions - and counting. This is not a Police problem, utmost respect for those guy's, it's a Legislative disconnect from reality. Prisions overcrowded? Plenty of open beds in the Morgue! Their choice!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:04 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by carlege
I too leave my 40' diesel pusher RV there as well. Is it my fault if someone breaks into that as well?

As far as the stolen transmission goes... It was chained to the trailer with a very big chain and big locks.

TonyG
Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

It was chained to the trailer with a very big chain and big locks.
Locks only keep good people out. Even a brand new master lock can be picked in a few seconds if the person is experienced. And if it was more than a few years old or had been used quite a bit, you can get it open with a couple of bobby pins in less than a minute.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:44 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by ramius665
Locks only keep good people out. Even a brand new master lock can be picked in a few seconds if the person is experienced. And if it was more than a few years old or had been used quite a bit, you can get it open with a couple of bobby pins in less than a minute.
The lock was a key lock.

TonyG
Old 02-10-2012, 02:03 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

The lock was a key lock.

TonyG
Well at least they didn't shoot your dog.

Hard to believe a storage yard would go to the trouble of installing cameras just for looks. I bet they either stopped working or the yard just doesn't bother to use them. Either way, one could argue it's a form of misrepresentation -- i.e., tricking potential customers into signing up with fake security. Next you'll learn the barb-wire fence was made out of candy canes. It's amazing these guys are allowed to stay in business....
Old 02-10-2012, 02:18 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by carlege
I don't get this reasoning? How is leaving something in a locked up security premises that you pay good money for the owner's responsibility?

Tony, shouldn't this be covered by the Storage's insurance?
Old 02-10-2012, 02:53 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have always wondered why you guys use such a bad locks in the USA.Looks like they can be opened in seconds without the key. Also at least in the movies all doors opens inside the the house. We have apposite system, doors open outside (for safety reasons, fire etc.) Also cops cannot brake in like they do in the movies
Check out this finnish lock manufacturer, in most cases these locks cannot be opened without the key.I suppose about 85% of the Finnish homes use this manufacturers locks
http://www.abloy.com

Bad luck Tony, wish you get your trans back soon.

Quick Reply: Stolen Transmission Alert - AOR trans stolen off my trailer