Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Head Gasket or Oil Cooler O-Ring??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2001, 11:52 AM
JohnK944T
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Head Gasket or Oil Cooler O-Ring??

Well, hear are the facts, thats all I have... '86 951 running 15psi, Huntly MAF, K27-DR, Wide-fire HG, Raceware studs.
The car drinks coolant, it ends up in the bottom of the crank case, not the recommended location. The compression test showed Cyl. 1=150psi, 2=145psi, 3=145psi, 4=150psi. The tester is el-cheap-o and goes in 5psi increments, my feeling was all cylinders checked okay, is 5psi an indication of a head gasket issue??

Now, I am positive I have oil in the coolant. My expansion tank is brand new, because my wrench said that the old one leaked and that was why I lost coolant. $390 later I have a clean white tank that you can see green coolant and dark oil.. And I still am losing coolant, not really I always find it in the crankcase. So are there any test I can do to confirm a bad o-ring to the oil cooler, or do I just start replacing stuff?

Thanks,

JohnK
Old 11-17-2001, 01:51 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never heard of anyone discuss some simple test to tell if the oil cooler is for sure the culprit. Since that cooler is a lot easier to fix than pulling the head I would just bite the bullet and get new seals, take it apart and hope for the best.

Those compression numbers seem pretty good to me if they are accurate (you only have 8.0:1 compression so will not see numbers up in the high 180 psi range) and I think a 3% shortfall in #2 and 3 is nothing to be too concerned about at this point. And I don't believe interchange between oil and coolant passages of head is a very common failure. Usually you get leakage into cylinder and out the tailpipe. So my vote is oil cooler.
Old 11-17-2001, 02:09 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
I had the same problem. Oil cooler o-ring fixed it!! Good luck.

Justin

Quick Reply: Head Gasket or Oil Cooler O-Ring??