Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Lindsey Boost Enhancer Settings (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/67531-lindsey-boost-enhancer-settings.html)

btimes4 11-16-2001 12:40 AM

Lindsey Boost Enhancer Settings

I am new to this forum and had a question
about the Lindsey Boost Enhancer. I am mechinacally challenged, but have been taking on more hands on projects since I purchased my '86 951. I would like to know if the instructions given are accurate when it states that the boost is set at the factory at 10 and should be left at that setting. If it can be raised to 20 what would be a relatively safe setting for the manual boost and I have new chips and wastegate shims that I am having installed next week so it might be a better question to ask what would be the setting for it once those components are installed. I have gone back the past couple of months and read through all of the post and gained a great deal of knowledge on my car just from that so I should thank everyone for their input on all of the post. Those of us that are just starting out find all of this facinating reading and I hope to have some input that will help others in the future. Have had my 951 for about a year and am just getting it into the running condition and appearance that turns heads.

Ski 11-16-2001 09:02 AM

The LBE is set at 10psi when delivered. If you are going to install it, I would not install the shims, but that is just my preference. You should not exceed 1 bar(14.7psi) on the factory head gasket and you may want to have a safety margin there depending on the condition/age of your motor.

If you decide to raise the pressure on the LBE, once you release the locking nut, it is one complete revolution in, is 1psi; i.e, 1 turn in is 11psi.

One of the best performance options besides chips for these cars is to buy a new wastegate and manual controller. The LR wastegate is highly recommended by this board and by me; just put mine in about a month ago. It gets rid of the factory built in leakage. Even though the LBE does a great job, you still get a bit of leakage.

Good luck and welcome....

C DeVito 11-16-2001 09:16 PM

I agree not to install shims and the LBE; just do the chips. Be careful turning up the LBE. Once it's installed at 10psi do some Acceleration runs and check your peak boost with a VDO or similar boost gage. On an 86 your boost will drop over 5800 with the stock turbo so you're worried about A/F ratio from the extra air between 4000-5800. If the rest of the car is stock your boost shouldn't peak above 14.5 with the LBE set at 10. The chips should compensate for that.

If you're going to try to go to 20 or anywhere above 14.5; I would be concerned about A/F. Just chips will not safely compensate for the extra air. The archives cover this pretty well. You'll need extra fuel and above 16.5 a wide fire ring and pretty solid internals.

A one full turn change on the LBE increases the opening pressure 1 psi, however, it can increase peak boost more or less than 1 psi. The LBE just shuts off the signal to the factory boost control below a point(10psi). So depending on the restrictions in the path to and from the turbo and its condition, it will spool up at some rate (with no control) until 10psi and then the factory controls play catch up. Increase the LBE slowly and check your A/F ratio at peak boost. That will be really hard to do since the sensor gives an average and is slow responding. Plus you're in 3rd or 4th going very fast. Take someone with you. ;)

My experience with the LBE is 2psi peak boost per turn. But my car has a Huntley MAF and K26/8. The Huntley MAF gave 16.5 with the LBE set at 10psi.

Good Luck with your mods,
Carmen
89 951

btimes4 11-17-2001 07:10 PM

Thinks for the input and all of the information. Some of it was a bit over my head :confused: but I am starting to understand most of it. At least your information will save me the price of the shim installation. I think I will check into that LE wastegate and would also like to go to maybe a B&B straight exhaust. The car only has 53K miles so and is very solid so I think it can hold up the extra boost, but at least now I know where to start drawing the limit.

Ski 11-18-2001 08:06 AM

btimes4,

just my .02 worth,,,B&B is nice but give Tim a call at SFR, for exhaust. He is a good guy to know and you might want to go ahead and get his fuel lines so that you can keep you 951 for a long time with no engine fire due to the poor crimps of PORSCHE.
www.speedforceracing.com

Bret

Luke 11-21-2001 12:54 PM

I have a LRBE for sale if n/e is interested.

$50.. bought to see if my wastegate was broken. Sure enough. Now i have a LR wastegate w/ man. boost controller rendering my LRBE useless........

autoxluke@hotmail.com