Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Track day brake pads? (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/67528-track-day-brake-pads.html)

sprbxr 11-14-2001 11:45 PM

Track day brake pads?

Can anyone recommend some good brake pads for the track?

Justin

belz 11-15-2001 03:19 AM

Justin ... I'm sure your going to have alot of opinions here ... I like Hawk pads. I use Hawk blue on my race car.
I'd say if your going to change pads at the track go for an all out race pad (like the blues). If your looking for a pad for both street and track than Hawk makes a HPS pad ... High Performance Street. Alot of Porsche guys like Pagid Orange pads. I have never tried them. I took a look at the break in procedures and said "no thank you". :eek:

ian 11-15-2001 10:17 AM

Justin,

Are these pads going to be seeing both street and track, or are you going to be swapping out pads when you get to the track?

I just went to the Hawk HPS, and I love them. They don't have the fade of the stock pads, and have a lot more bite too them. With 245 series R compound tires on the front of my car I have to be soft on the brakes not to lock them up. I am going to get a set of hawk blue's for track some time soon, but I'm going to run one or two events on these pads first before I make that decision.

ed devinney 11-15-2001 12:04 PM

I've got Hawk HP Plus on my car, they're great on the track but squeal like heck on the street. Have used HPS on another car, they're quieter and worked well under medium track use.

sprbxr 11-16-2001 02:17 AM

Where is a good place to get Hawk Pads?

VectorGuy 11-16-2001 10:24 AM

I third the vote for Hawk Blues. You'll need to push your eyes back into the sockets after a hard stop with those bad boys. The downside, they eat rotors for lunch and spew toxic dust that will corrode wheels. I made the mistake of using them on a wet track session, and then letting the car dry before cleaning it off, and there are black dots, like dark waterspots on the car that wouldn't come off without a lot of work. Plus the rims were shot too. Yea, they stop great, but at a price. Thankfully, rotors for our cars are relatively cheap.

belz 11-16-2001 02:52 PM

Justin- I've looked around for a "good price" on Hawk pads and everyone seems to be pretty close. I get mine from a local (mail order too) race shop. Race Central in Portland, Oregon. (I think they offer free shipping ... I always pick them up since I'm close) I guess what I'm saying is you might be better off finding them locally.
Everyone on this post has pretty much endorsed Hawk pads ... there has got be other opinions?
Where are all the PAGID guys!! :p

ian 11-16-2001 03:30 PM

I think that the pagid guys had to sell thier computers to pay for their next set of pads, they are a bit on the pricy sid you know..... :D