Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Door gaurds

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 10:26 AM
dzombek
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Door gaurds

Has anyone taken the body mouldings off of the doors before? I am going to have the car painted and I want to remove the protective strips on the doors.

Thx, David
Old 11-15-2001, 02:00 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wish I could help you, but, I was really wanting to ask you: are you planning to maybe leave them off after the car is painted? I've been kind of wanting to delete mine on my Turbo S- the 968's didn't usually have them- it was an expensive option, but I think they look a little cleaner w/out them. I'm just not 100% mine would look good, as they've been on the car all it's life now, and I wasn't planning to repaint (yet)...

Robby
Old 11-15-2001, 02:19 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And I'm the opposite on looks! I think they add a nice horizontal accent to the car's lines. Everyone has different tastes I guess.

Anyway, use some of the 3M auto adhesive remover and *carefully* pry off with a plastic lever of some sort. You need to drill out a rivet on the door one ... you will see it where it wraps over the back of the door sheet metal.

Don't wreck those things as they are worth a small fortune. If you have to buy them new I think they go for well over $500. There are more than a few people that would love to pick up a set for something less than new replacement cost.
Old 11-16-2001, 02:03 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah Jaws, I had talked w/a guy recently who had some on his 968- the PO had ordered the option- he said they were about $600.

As for looks, I know what you mean- I'm kind of torn. It would look cleaner though, as there would be less stuff there, but I do worry it might be a little too plain on a 951. I'd like to remove mine to see, and I could repaint them while they were off (if I decided to reinstall them) but I'm a little afraid that removing them might hurt them- I definately want the option of reinstalling them. They look horrible now- the paint's chipped, touch-up paint's flaking, etc.
Old 11-16-2001, 08:46 AM
dzombek
Racer

I am not sure if I am going to leave them off. I guess I can use Photoshop to digitaly remove them from a pictures of the car and see what it looks like.

I do want to be very carefull when I remove them because I might have them put back on.
I will let you know when I get done with the picture.
Old 11-16-2001, 05:22 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

That would be really cool- I'd like to see it... It's kind of hard for me to picture, even though I've seen 968's, and they look so close to the same from the side, but it's just not quite the same

Please let me know,
Robby

Quick Reply: Door gaurds