Autothority Stage II chips on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 12:13 AM
Michael Robertson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Autothority Stage II chips on Ebay

Guys..

I saw these chips on Ebay... Now I'm from Australia and I've love to purchase these for my 88 944 Turbo Cup but just want to make that they're the 'Stage II Chips' that I hear you guys rave about

Here is the link:

Chips!

They have the following specs:

951 020 200 DME V2.7 951 020 200 KLR

Are these the right ones..?

Thanks for your help, and if they're the real deal please leave them for me to purchas as I could save over $3000 AUD if I get them this way...

Thanks

Michael

88 944 Turbo S
Old 11-14-2001, 01:44 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Michael, do you have the turbo S internals in this Turbo Cup? If so, those are not the right chips (you have bigger turbo). Think they are for the regular turbo, but I can guarantee they are not the ones for the turbo S. Those should have a part number 951.020.300.30.

I know the OZ peso is going into the toilet but you should be able to get these used or someone else's chips for about USD $300 looking around a bit.

If you really want to, I will sell you mine for $300 as I am going to put in a stand alone engine management this winter.

Oh, and make sure you get the banjo bolt replacement along with the chips. It comes off the intercooler intake pipe for wastegate control.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:45 PM
Michael Robertson
Intermediate

Thanks Ice.

I already have an LBE so apparently I don't need the jetted Banjo Bolt if I upgrade to the autothority stage II's.

My car, while not a silver rose Turbo S, does all the stats of the S car such as M030 suspension, 928S4 front calipers, m44/52 Engine etc etc ..

Would your chips suit my car? And would you be willing to move on the price of those as 300 USD is still $600 AUD plus shipping..

Also, how much extra fuel did your car use before and after the chips..

Thanks Mate

Michael
Old 11-15-2001, 01:54 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Michael,

I haven't actually looked at e-bay, but if the chips are already up to ~300 US, then why don't you try to contact a US shop that should sell them for around $400 - $450 new? There are many places that sell them...

Also, one question: Since they call the Turbo S the Cup car over there, then it seems your dealer's would have the Cup car badges, instead of the Turbo badge. Do you have any idea how much your dealers charge for them? I've always wanted to get a more unique badge- maybe one that says 951(?). Cup would be very cool though, and wouldn't have to be custom made. I'm wondering if they could be found around here anywhere(?)- I may have to look around...

Robby
Old 11-15-2001, 02:03 AM
Michael Robertson
Intermediate

Hey Robby...

I'm not actually sure how they were released in Australia.. No mention has ever been made in AU of a special badge..

My car just has the standard 'turbo' badge on the right rear like all of you guys have..

I call my car a Cup car because it has the specs of the S, but it's not one of the Silver Rose Limited Edition ones.

I've never seen a 944T over here that looked any different to my own (apart from wheels etc).

I do know that from Porsche here in Melbourne I can purchase the 'Turbo' sticker that the silver rose cars came out with.. (mounted on the right front guard)

M
Old 11-15-2001, 03:54 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a genuine Turbo Cup car used in the Turbo Cup Series. It's one of the spare cars that didn't get used up. I just want those magnesium wheels!!!
Old 11-15-2001, 04:12 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike,

I'm not sure what you're referring too about the "Turbo" sticker(?)...

In some parts of Europe the Turbo S is referred to as the 944 "Cup" and their badge (right rear) said "Cup" instead of "Turbo." I've seen pics of them online- they couldn't be THAT hard to find.

I'm concerned that there may be pegs on the back of the badge, that go into mounting holes on the car. My '89 Integra had an LS badge w/two little pegs on the back of it, that fit into two holes on the back of the car. I wanted a GSR badge from the later Integras, but the GSR pegs wouldn't line up w/the LS holes. I ended up getting a GS badge (the GS wasn't made until '90) and it lined up fine...

Anyway, on the 951, since the words are so different, the holes (if they do exist) probably wouldn't line up w/each other(?). If there are no holes, it may still look kind of funny if I pulled it off, as the paint is so old- should be easy to fix w/a buffer and some wax though. I just want something more original. Like I said earlier, I'd really like a badge that said: 951 / 951 Cup / 951 S / 952 or even a full Turbo S or something, and since "Cup" does exist, it would have to be the easiest and cheapest, unless anyone out there know's anyone who would make a custom badge???

BTW, I'm not sure how big of deal it would be to send chips to Australia, but you might try contacting Jon Milledge (he has a web site)- he has always been known as a sort of 951 guru. I would rather have his chips than Autothority or Weltmiester's, as he burn's his not to lean out as much around 4000rpms. This makes them a touch more conservative (he says his TQ is a tiny bit less, but his HP is the same), but they would be SAFER for your engine. The only reason I'm not running some now, is b/c I'm trying to get $ together to rebuild my engine (I don't want to add any power or stress until it's done), and, if I do a 2.8 or 3.0 (which is what I REALLY want), then I'll need completely different chips...

Robby
Old 11-15-2001, 04:19 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Danno,

Where is the car? I've always wanted to see some of those wheels up close. I believe that all Euro Turbo S cars that were labled the "Cup" cars came w/the magnesium rims- that's what I've always been told, and that was the biggest difference b/t them and the US Turbo S. I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to know how much those rims weigh... I would also like to know how much they could be bought for. I spoke w/Wheel Enhancement today and they said that the C2 rims (968- 17") were about 5lbs heavier each than the Turbo S Clubsport(?). I'd like to find someone who has them that would weigh them to confirm this...

Robby
Old 11-15-2001, 11:40 AM
db944
Rennlist Member

If Danno is referring to the Turbo Cup car that was on E-bay, here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...486660&r=0&t=0
Old 11-15-2001, 01:27 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Michael, actually I would just as soon not sell the chips yet since I have not pulled the trigger on putting in an Electromotive system. I go back and forth on this idea everytime I think about it.

I think Robby has the right idea in getting someone like Milledge's chips or just waiting to see the right used set come up on FleaBay.

Regardless of body color (mine happens to be black), it sure sounds like you have the Turbo S. Easy enough to tell, just look at the engine serial number - the top line of it will be M44/52. That 52 being the origin of some people calling the car a 952, which is not correct. The serial number is on a little flat spot of the block on the right rear side of the engine to the rear of the last exhaust header. You can't miss it and can see it quite easy as it is the only flat spot facing upwards in the area. May have some oil on it though.

As far as gas mileage, I didn't really notice a big change as long as you stay off boost as you would when driving cross country and trying to get good mileage. Also, while I noticed an improvement in performance from stock chips, it by no means was earth shattering. So take your time finding a solution and forget spending the OZ $3,000 you mentioned because there is no way it is worth that! I got these chips back in '92 or so, and knowing what I know now I'm not so sure I would again spend US $595 for them.
Old 11-15-2001, 02:15 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
http://www.tonygarcia.org/ape_stage_2_dyno.htm

You might want to look at the above website if you plan on doing any more mods.

Dan
PS: Selling Huntley chips for $110 plus 8 bux shipping.
Old 11-15-2001, 09:06 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not too sure that the car on e-bay is a Cup car anyway... It just looks to me like he's modified a non-S turbo a little bit, but even still, I seriously doubt the weight is down to 2550lbs (or whatever it was he said)- I'm not sure if he meant it actually weighed that now, or if it was that weight when stripped. The original LeMans 944 Turbo racer's weighed 2040lbs. Anyway, those are even phone dials, so unless they were very different than ours, it just doesn't seem right.

The 944 Turbo Cup that I'm referring too, is almost exactly the same as the 944 Turbo S in the states. About the only differences being that the Clubsport rims are magnesium, and the badge says "Cup"- I've seen pictures of it, as someone had a website on it, and told of the several subtle differences. Anyway...
Old 11-15-2001, 10:37 PM
Michael Robertson
Intermediate

Ok Then Guys.. Thanks so much for the help..

Ice - yep I have the m44/52 on the engine block and it's nice to know for sure :-)

So the consensus seems to be go for the JM Chips as seen in tha parts section on this website...

JM Engines

But then again, you don't think the gain was that good anyway..

I have a hi flow cat, K and N filter element, and straight through stainless muffler so would the chips take advantage of that on the streets package..

Thanks

Michael
Old 11-16-2001, 12:12 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Michael, I got the same aftermarket goodies (basically) you have. Just don't expect a big kick in the *** when you install the chips.

You know, the most fun I have had with upgrading the car has been the forward lights, E-Code Cibies and the euro fog/driving and then rewiring to get 13.8 volts down on the lights when they are drawing over 500 watts. It is really something when you flip the whole biz on.

Robby, I started to respond to your light e-mail, but it is so involved to 'esplain it right. So I put it in the draft file. I thought about putting together a kit for sale but concluded it would not be worth the trouble and low interest. I bet Martin (from NZ) will ruse the day he put together the fast window kit.

Anyway, give me a telephone call if you are going forward and need some info as I'm not going to reply in a half-assed manner and a full reply will take longer than I want to spend at the moment.
Old 11-16-2001, 01:46 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Sharky, I will give you a ring soon- I've got so many things going right now, I don't know which way's up. I'm trying to get everything together to get a lot done at the same time. Probably my biggest dilemma is whether or not to get a CF or FG hood- I'm afraid it might be louder, although there is the possibility that it could actually be the other way around(?). I hope to be able to get in touch w/GT Racing soon to ask a few questions- they've been hard to reach here lately. If I don't go w/the new hood, then I'm going to remove and re-paint mine, and add some factory sound deadening (unless someone can advise a better insulator- I just don't want to get the wrong kind, and make the engine retain heat). I'm also planning to repaint the bumper (maybe get a CF or FG one- same basic story, except there is more of a safety issue on that), and that would be a good time to do all of the lights (at least the Euro's)...

As for chips Michael, as that was the original question, I definately think they are overated by the manufacturers- Autothority claims about 315hp w/their Stage II's. They're more likely in the 275 - 280 range. I think Sharky bought his a long time ago(?), and it's possible that the mapping, etc has been improved- but maybe not. Also, every car is different, and chips, to work their best, really need to be burned while the specific car is on a dyno. They are normally made to run well for a "normal" 951, but that's a pretty large range. This is one reason why Sharky is looking at different engine management, so he can optimize and fine tune his car- you can definately get more power this way, and it's something I'd like to do too, but it's also very expensive, and much more technical. I'm also not 100% sure about the reliability- I just don't know enough about it...

Whether or not the chips he's using are as good as newer one's or not, is kind of irrelevent, as a good set of chips (JM, APE, Welt, etc) are still the best bang for the buck you will get from your car. BTW, I still would advise the JM one's- when I talked w/him awhile back they were only about $350 for street cars- much cheaper than the APE's. He doesn't recommend banjo bolt's or anything, but instead, he likes to drill the hex fitting(?) of the wastegate to increase the boost a tiny bit. You'd have to ask him to find out more specifically, and to get the right size- it would be a TINY little hole...

Good luck,
Robby

Quick Reply: Autothority Stage II chips on Ebay