Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Autothority Stage II chips on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 03:11 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, Robby, my chip map is still the current APE one. Face it, all they boil down to is higher boost and getting the A/F map to work with that given the extra of 92+ octane. It is better but you are not going to grab your buddy with the stopwatch (which I was checking) and do some crazy dance.

I could slam my LT1 vette into 3rd gear (only had 4 forward) at 65mph and spin wide rears. That is power. Going through the road the thing handled like ****, though. Was so powerfull that it could get you in real trouble given the crummy handling. So I compare to high marks of the cars I have known. And a chipped 951S is a far cry from a mildly goosed 350LT1.

Though to Michael's gas milage question, that LT1 dropped down to about 4 mpg when you beat on it.
Old 11-17-2001, 02:49 AM
Michael Robertson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ice and Robby..

Thanks for the info.. I may get chips in the future.. At the moment I'm trying to wangle a transfer to the states (CA) with my work so if and when that happens, (and I can get those sweet $USD) is when I'll do the chips.

My biggest worry coming up is tyres and the clutch.. I have the standard tyres at the moment.. what do you guys reccomend for a good street tyre..

At the moment I have falken z rated's and they're great.. but also expensive..

What about the clutch.. when it comes time to replcae that should I go for the stocker one or replace it with an uprated version?

Ta

M
Old 11-17-2001, 08:24 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've heard a lot about these cars when it comes to chips. My mechanic, who is EXTREMELY knowledgeable when it comes to chips, has always told me not to even buy them if they have sat around for a few months, much less have been used. He's always said they lose their programing over time, and that the big places (APE, Welt, etc) are always messing w/them to make the better. I can't tell you his qualifications, but let's just say he's done some impressive things w/them, involving a different make of car.

As for 951 chips, he had another customers car (not a Porsche) up north to have it tuned on a dyno. The place that did it, said that 951's were hands down the ABSOLUTE WORST cars when it came to chips. They sell chips for many cars, but wont sell chips for 951's w/out having the car there. They say there are many problems w/our cars, that have to be worked out on the dyno- not that it's that difficult, but that they need to be done individually. They say that some people who buy chips, have had cars that had worn out ECU's, and the chips worked well on their cars for some reason, bringing the power to well over what brand new and stock would be (maybe 30 to 40 over), making the owner feel like he had bought a completely different car- if the car was running weak, maybe 25hp or so, it could possibly have gained some 60+hp. Unfortunately, on the flip side, some people have decently well running cars, and add chips, that for some reason make things worse. He claims that many of our cars are barely brought up to stock power levels, w/aftermarket chips. How would you like that? Having to raise the boost via the banjo bolt, or what have you, and having nicely remapped chips, just to get what you were supposed to have anyway?

I'm not personaly all that knowledgeable about chips, and many people would point to all of the dyno charts floating around the internet to defend them. However, it is interesting- I spoke to Jon Milledge a long time ago, when I was planning to buy some (I've since scrapped the idea, as I'm now planning to rebuild the engine), and he said that the places that convert back to the flywheel to claim high hp #'s are all over selling. Most places claim around a 15% flywheel loss; he said that a well running 951 should literally lose only about 1/2 that(!). Kind of makes you wonder...

As for tires, I would recommend Yokohama AVS Intermediates, or Dunlop SP 8000's. Both are very even when it comes to dry performance, and are almost identical in price (in the US anyway). I've had both, and if I had to say, I would say the AVS are slightly stickier in the dry, but the SP8K's might be a little better in the rain (they're directional, and the AVS are Assymetrical). My SP8K's that I have now, have lasted over 12k miles, and have at least 2/3 of their tread left- I've NEVER had tires last more than about 22k miles before. My average over the approximate 350k that i've driven, has been almost exactly 20k per set, but these Dunlops are lasting better than most, for whatever reason- they're still better than most perfomance-wise too. Anyway, both the AVS, and the SP8K's are being discontinued fairly soon, so they can be had for very cheap prices. I bought my set from the Tire Rack about 18 months back, for just under $400, and they were standard sizes for a Turbo S- 225/50/16 and 245/45/16...

Sorry this post was so long- it's been good typing practice though
Old 11-17-2001, 08:28 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, yeah- for the clutch, I would probably try to find a Cup clutch (one of the other tiny differences b/t the Cup and Turbo S- the Cup clutch doesn't have the little springs that wear out and lock it up), or, a nice aftermarket one, depending on your budget. Just be sure to go ahead and change all of the little misc parts, like the throw out bearing, rear main seal, etc. AND, if I were you, I would go ahead and take this as an opportunity to change the flywheel- maybe get one that's a little lighter...
Old 11-19-2001, 12:29 AM
Michael Robertson
Intermediate

Thanks Robby and Ice..

Very good read..

I've sent a mail to Jon Milledge about his chips that are meant to give 290HP so we will see what he comes back with.

His chips are only $350USD so that works out $575 Aussie dollars, which is good.. and if it lifts the power by the 40 or so horses, then I think that's a pretty good gain for the price..

As for the tyres Robby - Thanks heaps for that information.. The Dunlop's look to be the goer.. I'm yet to price them in AU though but I'm a big fan of the price...

As for the Cup clutch, where do you think I could get that from mate?

Thanks,

Michael
Old 11-19-2001, 02:15 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

You're more than welcome

You might try Garrity Repta for the clutch- he might even have something he recommends more- I've met him before, he's done work n my car, and he's a very knowledgeable and trustworthy person- he can probably help you w/a lot of stuff...

He has a website now, for his business- Performance Auto Works of St. Louis: http://members.primary.net/~garrity928/Performance.htm
His e-mail is either: Garrity928@primary.net
or garrity928@mindspring.net

Let me know what Jon says about the chips and whatever else he might happen to mention- I haven't talked w/him in awhile, and hate to contact him unless I really need to...
Old 11-19-2001, 10:48 AM
Jerry
Instructor

No the chips will not loose their programming and auto athority do not change their chips or I would know about it when I do DE's with dozens of stage II chipped 944t's several times a year. I do have a set of 944t (non-S) chips for sale for $200. My e-mail is eusnow@msn.com
Old 11-19-2001, 09:12 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jerry, apparently the chips can lose programing. Under what circumstances is still an open issue in my mind, but it can happen. So, that would give an established outfit an edge as in: send me a new pair of chips you SOB!

As far as tires, the list was really up on bridgestone RE730s. I have them and they seem great, however, everyone is holding their breath until they get a good amount over 10,000 miles on them. There was a BMW list where one guy noted a big road noise increase when over 10k. I like them, except my 275mm rears in snow .... a flake will make them useless.
Old 11-20-2001, 06:54 AM
ste
Track Day

Ice Shark wrote:

"Face it, all they boil down to is higher boost and getting the A/F map to work with that given the extra of 92+ octane."

Maybe the chips aren't reaching their full quoted horsepower increase due to the low octane fuel you get in The US.

I know that some Japanese cars are quoted at a certain horsepower, but when we get them imported to the UK they fail to make the same power. (Japanese octane = 100+ Ron. Uk octane = 98.6 Ron maximum)

Just a theory?
Old 11-21-2001, 01:00 AM
Michael Robertson
Intermediate

Hey Guys..

Well haven't heard anything from JM Engineering yet but I will let you guys know as soon as I hear something..

As for tyres - nowhere in AU can get the sp 8000's and after doing my own research i've decided that I'm going to go for the Falken fk-451 GRB..

I can get a set of these fitted, and aligned, on the standard wheels $1000 AUD

cheap really..

Thanks again.

Michael

Michael
Old 11-21-2001, 03:39 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't know anything about those- they might be fine- did you look for the Yok AVS Intermediates? Thats what I would recommend- it would be a coin toss for me b/t them and the SP8Ks...
Old 11-25-2001, 10:35 AM
Craig Clark
4th Gear

Exclamation

Late to the conversation but...........The turbo S car in France does have the cup badge in place of the turbo badge on the back of the car. I have tried to find it at US dealerships and Porsche Motorsports with no luck. Anyone who can get these overseas, I would love to have one as well. Perhaps a group buy is in order here.....

The turbo decal for the front fender is still available here.
Old 11-26-2001, 02:48 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, and BTW, I've now seen several pics of the back of these cars w/out badges, and I haven't seen any holes or anything, so it must be a sticker only... I'm not familiar w/the decal for the front fender though(?)...
Old 12-02-2001, 05:26 AM
Michael Robertson
Intermediate

Guys.

I've found a pic of the Turbo Decal we've previously discussed on the board

Now everyone will know about it..

Decal

Thanks

Michael

Quick Reply: Autothority Stage II chips on Ebay