Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   newbie (kind of) (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/67400-newbie-kind-of.html)

DanG 11-01-2001 04:20 AM

newbie (kind of)

Hello all,

I was a part of the 944 web scene a year or two ago, but since I had an NA and not enough money to race it beyond autocrossing, my interest in "how do I install the rear speakers" and "I gained 2 hp from this $500 part" type threads faded quickly.

I messed myself into the turbo scene the cheapest way I thought was possible. About a year ago, I bought a Dodge with the 2.2L turbo in hopes of gaining the knowledge required to some day do likewise to a 951. Those guys taught me a lot. Cars definitely don't have to be expensive to be fast.

Then I get a call at 7am this morning. My friends dad's 951 had an engine fire and it was totalled. The insurance buyout is $500.

So now I'm a 951 owner!

I haven't even seen the car, but my friend tells me the interior is perfect, and the only visible damage to the exterior is a dent from prying the hood open (I guess the release cable melted). He said the car did not burn for long, and its really not that toasted. I'm guessing it will probably need a new head and turbo as he told me the intake manifold melted.

So that is my situation. I'm not too rich (rephrase, I'm in college). My repairs to the car will be done entirely in my backyard. At first I was thinking, sweet, new wheels and brakes for my 944. But after talking with my friend, it seems fixing the car up is the best choice as far as profit. Plus I'd have a 951 for beans.

Since I'm going to be tearing into this engine and probably adding a ton of new parts, I was wondering what everyones best results have been as far as performance parts and upgrades.

Borrowing from the turbo dodge crowd, I'll take fuel management and boost control entirely into my own hands. I might even be thinking of going with a DIY-efi system. If I pull the right strings to get a 3.0 crank on the cheap, that will be done too. Depending on the block and pistons conditions (I'm guessing they didn't melt, but might have damage or wear), I'll look at overboring. The way I look at it, I have the perfect start at an awesome buildup.

So give me your thoughts and experience with buildups that have gone well. I'm specifically interested in heavily modified fuel systems. I'd like to avoid costly MAF kits and the like, and would prefer to work with either a Ford 2.3 MAF or even a MAP sensor setup like used in the Dodges. And some general info on injector upgrades would help too, as far as flow rates, pressures used, and sources.

Once again, I just wanted to say hello and give a quick background on my car. I used to have a webpage on my 944, but it disappeared when NBCi shut stuff down. I'll probably get around to putting it up again sometime soon, with some pics of the 951 too.

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~dgielas/roof.jpg

slevy951 11-01-2001 11:23 AM

Dan,

The intake manifold melted?? That sounds like quite a hot fire. Cast aluminum doesn't melt easily. The most worrysome thing in engine fires is melting the wiring harness. They are a pain to replace, but if the motor is coming out, that is the time to do it and be sure it's right. As far a mods go, mine has APE stage II chips and a cup turbo and a test pipe. It's plenty fast for me. I may be able to assit you gathering used parts (like an intake manifold). Email me off list to discuss further if you'd like.

Scott
'86 951

David J. Harrington 11-01-2001 12:39 PM

Dan, just be glad the intake manifold wasn't Mg like the Turbo Cup's. Now that would have been a bright fire!!!

I would get a turbo from Tim Richards(speedforceracing.com). He has great prices on new Garret turbos made to run in our cars. Since you sound like you want to do a MAP sensor, you should probably go with stand-alone engine management(TecII also from Tim).

As far as replacing all of the hoses in the compartment, you might try seeing if Jason at Paragon Products can get you that. If not, try vertex or zims.

Talk to Garrity Repta about rebuilding the motor.

If you want a new hood, maybe consider gt-racing.com's fiberglass or carbonfiber version. They save quite a bit of weight, and could be balanced by switching the rear glass with plastic from gt-racing.com as well.

Good luck on your restoration,
Dave

keith 11-01-2001 12:54 PM

...are...you...the...

GEILAMONSTER?!?

DanG 11-01-2001 04:27 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Keith, I'm not sure what you're asking. Yeah, I used Gielamonster as a SN on 944World@exite and on most bboards I go to.

David, you're darn right i'm lucky it wasn't Mg, I probably wouldn't have much of a car to buy. I've drooled over the stuff at SpeedForce before, he's got some good stuff at reasonable prices.

I tried emailing Garrity yesterday (garrity928@primary.net???) but it came back undelivered. I've purchased a pair of 951 oil pans from him for my 944 in the past.

As far as the carbon fiber hood goes, I've actually been messing around with it a bit for SAE and other stuff here at school. I've had fantasies about fabbing my own hood/body panels/dash panels/seats/... once I get some more experience.

And finally, Scott, I'd agree a turbo upgrade, some chips, and a test pipe would be plenty, but since I'll probably have to replace some major parts under the hood, I may as well put some real high perf parts in their place right? Stand alone engine management looks like it could be really cool, especially if I want to modify the engine as much as I'm dreaming about.

So thanks for the responses and keep them coming! I hope to get some pictures up soon once I see the car tomorrow.

David J. Harrington 11-01-2001 05:38 PM

This is off the top of my head, but I am pretty sure Garrity's email is garrity928@mindspring.net or something like that.

Dave

pig4bill 11-01-2001 11:47 PM

I'm not sure I'd be looking for a big profit, as salvage title cars don't bring the big bucks, especially with home-made MAFs. It could be a cheap way into a fun car, though.

DanG 11-02-2001 03:44 PM

Well I still haven't seen the car, but my dad just checked it out on his lunch hour. He says it looks pretty bad. So its leaning more towards the part-out stage. Except the guy we're buying it from (my friend's step-dad) wants to first title it in his name to make sure he gets his insurance money, then we'll title it in ours in two weeks. Good news is, the retitle may not be a salvage title, but it will still have the salvage history.

I should have pictures by today, I'll scan em in when i get a chance.

Jerry 11-02-2001 10:45 PM

Looking at this from a worst case guess it will take $3k to $5k to make the car whole and the car may not be worth anymore than that, therefore you have all the problems/fun for free.

DanG 11-03-2001 04:15 AM

Yeah, the car is in worse shape than I originally thought. I'll probably just swap the brakes and rims to my 944 and part out the rest. Its a shame such good cars are worth beans just because of a salvage title. I'm sure I could fix this car up to be in better shape than a car that's been sitting most of its life and "only has 60,000 miles". Ah well, at least I won't have to settle for a white 951.