Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   ANSA mufflers.... (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/67390-ansa-mufflers.html)

Robby 10-31-2001 08:46 AM

ANSA mufflers....

GPR has the OEM replacement muffler for the 951's for $225 on their website. I called and they said it was an ANSA OEM "type", and that it was $215. This is pretty cheap and ANSA has always been known for performance mufflers, but I don't really know much about them. Does anyone have any knowledge and/or experience w/ANSA products? I'm very concerned w/the noise levels- I don't want the car to become any louder. If anything, I'd like to make it a little quieter, but I don't really want to LOSE HP if I can help it. Any input?

Thanks,
Robby

Eric 10-31-2001 10:11 AM

Robby,

I do have experience with ANSA, although this was on my '79 924. The muffler was an OEM "type" also, the only visual difference was the twin-tips. Sound-wise it was the same as stock. Performance-wise, I never noticed a difference(although it may make a difference on the 951).

Eric

keith 10-31-2001 10:56 AM

I liked mine (on my 951). Sounds like stock, until you get on the RPMs...

Heavy though, like the stock muffler.

sm 10-31-2001 12:19 PM

hey keith:

how does it sound at high rpm's? deep rumble or some loud wailing? my stock one is starting to rot at the tip, so i may change it down the road.

thanks,
sm

Robby 10-31-2001 12:33 PM

Thanks for the quick responses guy's...
And, yes, Keith, is it louder at the higher RPM's, or what? Please give as much detail as possible, as I'm seriously considering it due to the price. Otherwise I'm probably going to cop out and go w/factory. I'm just afraid of the obnoxious noise levels w/some of these aftermarket systems...

Thanks again,
Robby

keith 10-31-2001 12:40 PM

how do I describe this?

at idle, and short-shifting, it sounds like stock, a low rumble (sounds like a big engine, etc.)

upper RPMs, it sounds like a racetrack-oriented exhaust - not extremely loud, but a nice roar/wail (more emphasis on wail), higher pitch.

In my autoX videos, you can tell when I'm on it, because suddenly you can hear the exhaust on the camera..

It is certainly NOT obnoxious, just a little more srious, less subdued sounding when driving agressively.

rplencne 10-31-2001 03:21 PM

No experience with Ansa on a P-car, but I had an Ansa cat-back on a VW GTI. The muffler rotted at the seams in less than 2 years. Mostly city miles, so the moisture may have done it in. I seem to recall it only cost a bit over $100 in the early '90's.

-Bob P.

keith 10-31-2001 03:26 PM

yeah, mine's rotting where the pipe goes in/out - of course, I got my car pinned across a ditch 2 winters ago, supported by the nose and rear bumper (muffler/tailpipe), all 4 wheels off the ground...

It is definitely NOT a stainless steel muffler, perhaps that's why they are relatively inexpensive.

I am replacing it with a Borla SS, most likely, for weight reduction. Will probably go 3" as well...

- not that any of that information helps you with the ANSA issue...

PrerYDoG 10-31-2001 03:58 PM

I have an ANSA on my 951. I did that at the same time that I put on a straight pipe, so I can't definately say what the noise level will be with just the muffler replacement, but for me (with the cat bypass and ANSA muffler) it wasn't that much louder. It was more throaty (sounded like a real sports car) and not at all ricey.