Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

a-arm failures

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 02:54 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would appear to me that BMW's method of attaching the sway-bar end-link to the strut-housing itself makes the most sense. This would transfer the load directly through the strut and spindle and the forces would be at the end of the A-arm instead of the middle.

BTW, has anyone installed a cockpit-adjustable rear swaybar in their car? I noticed that Wayne Mello had one in his car...
Old 11-09-2002, 04:50 PM
GaryK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah Danno, I was wondering if anyone had attached the end links to the strut housings on our cars. I did this on my ex- Audi track car and it really increased roll stiffness, but that car had some ridiculously beefy uprights as well.
And this would relieve stress on the control arms as you say.
Gary
Old 11-09-2002, 05:04 PM
Larry Parker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am in the middle of making in-car adjustable rear bar for my 89 S2 track car...........................
Real testing wont beging till spring..................
I may do a front this winter also........Which may end up with the swaybar attaching to the strut...............

Also I have modeld up a control arm to fit our cars, It will be made of 7075, and shall be water jet cut to lower maching time which should save alot of cash, but the alu. is expensive and i cant put a price on them yet.....
All parts will be tested and tested and run through F.E.A software to ensure a strong part...................
Old 11-10-2002, 12:58 PM
belz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GaryK-
I know the boys at GroundControl had a prototype ... not sure if they ever made it available commercially ... I'm sure if you were serious they'd be happy to sell you a set up!

Quick Reply: a-arm failures