Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tried seafoam and now car won't start, Ideas?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:49 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carlege
Man, i bet you will kick yourself if its something simple. All those parts and you didnt have a Wide band O2? smh

im guessings its not a full rebuild on the engine. im sure its something simple. The car should run with 1 cylinder dead.
easily
Old 01-19-2012, 11:26 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ifly951
Anyways, the car has started 4x out of about 12 attempts. If it starts, it dies within 5 seconds even with throttle plate open. THE ONLY way it will start is if about 2-3 capefulls of oil is put into the plug holes. This is the only way to get compression high enough. Then we have to pull the plugs, dry it/them out, pull fuses and start the process over.

The Timing was spot on, checked in two places.

The car is reading right at 45-46 psi Fuel Pressure when starting. This is with the stock FPR. We pulled the 3 bar one that was in. That seems high and why the car is flooding out?

Car has had an oil change. Mechanic figured about 1 probably 2 quarts of gas was in the oil.
If you have that much fuel in your oil, you've got something else going on. Maybe you are trying to run with the throttle WOT every time and that is enriching it? There may be an air charge sensor that triggers a cold start mode that will be making it run really, really rich.

In addition to diluting your oil drastically, that much fuel will certainly be washing all signs of oil off of your bores, which is likely a large factor in your "low" compression diagnosis. The fact that all cylinders are the same is a strong indication to me that your rings are fine.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:29 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 67King
Anyways, the car has started 4x out of about 12 attempts. If it starts, it dies within 5 seconds even with throttle plate open. THE ONLY way it will start is if about 2-3 capefulls of oil is put into the plug holes. This is the only way to get compression high enough. Then we have to pull the plugs, dry it/them out, pull fuses and start the process over.

The Timing was spot on, checked in two places.

The car is reading right at 45-46 psi Fuel Pressure when starting. This is with the stock FPR. We pulled the 3 bar one that was in. That seems high and why the car is flooding out?

Car has had an oil change. Mechanic figured about 1 probably 2 quarts of gas was in the oil.
If you have that much fuel in your oil, you've got something else going on. Maybe you are trying to run with the throttle WOT every time and that is enriching it? There may be an air charge sensor that triggers a cold start mode that will be making it run really, really rich.

In addition to diluting your oil drastically, that much fuel will certainly be washing all signs of oil off of your bores, which is likely a large factor in your "low" compression diagnosis. The fact that all cylinders are the same is a strong indication to me that your rings are fine.
+1

Although it sounds as if the car is destined for the scrap pile... Would be a shame if either the tps or harness were causing a wot indication to the dme...
Old 01-19-2012, 04:18 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

A la PARTe
Old 01-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Cosmatics951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn sorry to hear the prognosis. How would that much gas get into the oil?
Old 01-19-2012, 05:51 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cosmatics951
Damn sorry to hear the prognosis. How would that much gas get into the oil?
Pouring it through the 710 cap?

Seriously... larger injectors, running full tilt (WOT) at anything other then WOT WILL cause liquid fuel to be entered to the oil.. its just a matter of time!

Also causes many other bad things to happen...
Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Ifly951
Instructor

Hey everyone, just got off the phone with one of the 944 racing shops here in SD.

Rings are bad.

Car had a leakdown test done and it will not hold compression basically at all. The seafoam simply unveiled an engine that is tired and what not. If anyone wonders, I am new to 951's, but not sports cars. I have had several American cars that were several hundred horsepower plus. This car I have had for a year now and driven it a total of maybe 50 miles. I have spent the year putting new and better equipment to run the car and sort it out.

Tomorrow the head is being taken off, and I am hoping the rings need to be replaced and then put back together with a quality head gasket. I hope the pistons are not toast. Wish me luck.

I poured 1 ounce of seafoam in and let it run for 2-3 minutes. Then poured in one more ounce after that. Then the car choked on the second ounce. The spraying was starting fluid trying to restart the car. I should have been more clear about that.

Oh well, it sucks but not the end of the world I guess.

I have an old huntley led wideband. Night Rider style. If this had not happened my next plan was to install a Zietronix after I passed smog.

I may need a new head, so if anyone has a good price on a Turbo head PM me.

I do really appreciate evreyone's interest and input.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:12 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Do you need a rebuilt head or just a good base head?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:15 AM
Ifly951
Instructor

Hey Lart thanks for asking, because I will surely need something. If I don't contact you the place the car is at will. You have done alot of business with them.

The head will be off in the morning and we will have a much better idea of what needs to be replaced.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:40 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

anything that I can help with let me know, nothing brings me more satisfaction than help a fellow lister
Old 01-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Taking the head off wont tell much about the rings. It will tell much about the cylinders, though.

I wouldn't have them waste the labor pulling the head if the rings are bad, though. It'll be easier on the stand.

Did they tell you they were going to pull the head, replace the rings, and install a quality head gasket? THAT would be a great thread.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hoping you get the car back and can enjoy some of that great equipment. 50 miles? Let's add some zeros. It's worth it, you'll get there.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:43 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Hey everyone, just got off the phone with one of the 944 racing shops here in SD.

Rings are bad.

Car had a leakdown test done and it will not hold compression basically at all. The seafoam simply unveiled an engine that is tired and what not. If anyone wonders, I am new to 951's, but not sports cars. I have had several American cars that were several hundred horsepower plus. This car I have had for a year now and driven it a total of maybe 50 miles. I have spent the year putting new and better equipment to run the car and sort it out.

Tomorrow the head is being taken off, and I am hoping the rings need to be replaced and then put back together with a quality head gasket. I hope the pistons are not toast. Wish me luck.

I poured 1 ounce of seafoam in and let it run for 2-3 minutes. Then poured in one more ounce after that. Then the car choked on the second ounce. The spraying was starting fluid trying to restart the car. I should have been more clear about that.

Oh well, it sucks but not the end of the world I guess.

I have an old huntley led wideband. Night Rider style. If this had not happened my next plan was to install a Zietronix after I passed smog.

I may need a new head, so if anyone has a good price on a Turbo head PM me.

I do really appreciate evreyone's interest and input.
What shop in San Diego did you take it to?
Old 01-20-2012, 02:10 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 400hp944
What shop in San Diego did you take it to?
Larts Autohaus.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:33 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by minho78
Larts Autohaus.
Rolfmao, where nightmares go away, and dreams die, where the cars come in but never leave.

Last edited by lart951; 01-20-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tried seafoam and now car won't start, Ideas?