Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tried seafoam and now car won't start, Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 02:09 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off did the engine shut off when you were putting the seafoam in? If it didnt then you did not hydro lock your engine. You are told to turn the engine off after feeding it a cup or so of the fluid. I have done this to many cars and have never experienced a problem with it. Whether it works or not has yet to be determined
Old 12-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He put 1 ounce of seafoam through a 1/8 inch hole with the engine running......

1. You are not a competent mechanic.
2. 1 ounce of seafoam won't break any carbon loose, wash your cyl walls, or anything else harmful.
3. 1 gallon of seafoam probably wont either.
4. These threads are kind of fun at first, but lose THEIR compression after a couple pages.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:07 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

i remember when i was cleaning my valves i had to use easy off and the bench grinder with the wire wheel to get rid of that carbon. Seafoam nor anything else will not remove it just like that and if in case it does would you want chunks of carbon bouncing off every where or that gunk?
Old 12-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Ifly951
Instructor

Aah, yes beginning to be a fun thread.

First I said competent mechanic, not a pro or an expert. I am new to porsche's, but not cars by any means. Am I competent enough to do all the diagnostics everyone has mentioned, yes.

I did the compression test wet. But car obviously is cold.

Why did I mention disconnecting the cat. Because maybe it could be clogged, and I hoped clearing out the exhaust would do something . Whatever smoke that becomes generated from seafoam is what's "choking" the car. I don't know what it is, that's why I have sought help.

I have used the stuff in the past and did not have a problem. So I know it can work just fine.

I will have a actual "Pro" Porsche mechanic come and work on the car again. He is on this board and very active in the San Diego Porsche community. I have also had a highly respected tuner on this board helping me with my car since I bought it. He is and has been great. This car was running just fine before this and I am to blame for it.

I will only respond again to this thread after the car is looked at by the mechanic, or running again. I will at least follow it up so whomever does a search in the future will not find a dead end.

Peace everyone, thankyou.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:00 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Any updates?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:21 AM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LFA951
Any updates?
Seafoam now offered in gallons!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:50 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LFA951
Any updates?
Seafoam robs HP/TQ
Old 12-29-2011, 01:12 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedro951
He put 1 ounce of seafoam through a 1/8 inch hole with the engine running......

1. You are not a competent mechanic.
2. 1 ounce of seafoam won't break any carbon loose, wash your cyl walls, or anything else harmful.
3. 1 gallon of seafoam probably wont either.
4. These threads are kind of fun at first, but lose THEIR compression after a couple pages.
Best post of this thread.

Hope you got the 951 running. Listen to these folks, they know their It's like having a headache and having access to a world wide group of neurosurgeons for free.

Good luck.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:18 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update yet?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Ifly951
Instructor

Thankyou for those who have checked in. From the advice given to me (on this board) I basically have done as much as the mechanic who came to help with the car. Not as incompetent as some of you have pointed out.

Anyways, the car has started 4x out of about 12 attempts. If it starts, it dies within 5 seconds even with throttle plate open. THE ONLY way it will start is if about 2-3 capefulls of oil is put into the plug holes. This is the only way to get compression high enough. Then we have to pull the plugs, dry it/them out, pull fuses and start the process over.

The Timing was spot on, checked in two places.

The car is reading right at 45-46 psi Fuel Pressure when starting. This is with the stock FPR. We pulled the 3 bar one that was in. That seems high and why the car is flooding out?

Car has had an oil change. Mechanic figured about 1 probably 2 quarts of gas was in the oil.

As it is now, the car sits because I don't know what to do with it. Like I originally said, I believe I am looking at a rebuild, or new rings which is extensive work. I sounded mistaken for saying this, but I have spoken to a different Porsche mechanic (20 years experience with them)and that was the first thing he said also.

I do now understand, and agree with some of you that believe seafoam should not have caused this, but essentially it did. Or what it really did was let me know how "poor" of shape this particular engine really was. So all in all I was going to be dealing with this soon enough. I just wanted it to be in a year from now.

Last edited by Ifly951; 01-18-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Ifly951
Instructor

I will add, that if it needs thousands in repair I am going to part the car out. I am sick of spending money on it as it is has been a headache from day 1.

It does not mean 951's are bad, just the one I have.

I have many, many awesome parts..Rebuilt Turbonetics 50 trim half bb, half cartridge turbo. Full 3 inch SFR exhaust from downpipe to tip. New 38 mm Tial wastegate. New (red) lindsey racing vac kit. New 3 bar FPR. new LR Manual Boost Controller. New Full Rogue Tuning MAf setup. 18 Porsche Turbo Twist wheels in very good shape. Plus more... car is an 88s from what I know, black interior.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:58 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Ifly951
I will add, that if it needs thousands in repair I am going to part the car out. I am sick of spending money on it as it is has been a headache from day 1.

It does not mean 951's are bad, just the one I have.

I have many, many awesome parts..Rebuilt Turbonetics 50 trim half bb, half cartridge turbo. Full 3 inch SFR exhaust from downpipe to tip. New 38 mm Tial wastegate. New (red) lindsey racing vac kit. New 3 bar FPR. new LR Manual Boost Controller. New Full Rogue Tuning MAf setup. 18 Porsche Turbo Twist wheels in very good shape. Plus more... car is an 88s from what I know, black interior.
You can part it or sell it as a whole and save yourself the pain of listing , answering questions, packing & shipping
Old 01-19-2012, 09:12 AM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

I didnt go through every response on your thread, but have you tried checking the electrical connection at the AFM?

Pull the rubber boot back, and make sure the wires arent exposed, touching, or broken. That plug has a tendency to fail since its always twisted
Old 01-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

In one post you "sprayed" 1 ounce of seafoam thru the idle screw opening. In a later post, it changed to "poured". Which was it?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:44 AM
carlege
Drifting

Man, i bet you will kick yourself if its something simple. All those parts and you didnt have a Wide band O2? smh

im guessings its not a full rebuild on the engine. im sure its something simple. The car should run with 1 cylinder dead.

Quick Reply: Tried seafoam and now car won't start, Ideas?