Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

counterbalance update1

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 12:19 AM
superjet.1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up counterbalance update1

well the job is done and my verdict is in.i did not hook up the balance belt and left the shafts inplace.here is what has changed the idle is the same no vibration but off idle andup to 2500 rpm it is not silky smooth like before though not to bad either just noticable.the engine revs quicker and free like the a\c is turnd off.iran my G-TEc before and after i have gained a consistent 12-15hp.is it worth the lose of the silky smoothness im not shure just yet but i dont believe the added engine harmonics will damage anything.the boys at lindsey run theres like this so does the boys at huntley they all claim no problems.WELL SEE
Old 03-09-2002, 01:05 AM
instigator
Racer

they just leave the shafts in the car and run without the belt? or do they do the whole 9 yards with removing shafts and pluging oil return and galleys?
Old 03-09-2002, 01:13 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Instigator, the selling point for me would be to feel it first hand, but I would definitely remove the shafts, in any case, for weight savings in addition to the hp gain, two positives are better than one.. The shafts can be removed "in car" but the question of plugging the oil supply holes, I'm not sure of. I have a spare block, and I'm going to take a close look at the posibility of threading and plugging the passages with the smallest possible plug, attempting to cause the least amount of contamination to the oil system.
With an empty crankcase, and applying constant air pressure to say, the oil sending unit passage should be sucessful, in blowing any shavings out while threading..
Your opinion..?
Old 03-09-2002, 04:28 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Superjet,
I'm right there with ya. How did you fix the pulleys in place? I'm definitely going to remove the belt for my next DE.

Instigator,
Lindsey Racing I beleive just "fixed" the shafts in place.
Old 03-09-2002, 07:10 PM
superjet.1
Pro

i used wire tie (AKA safety wire)and secured it threw the plastic t-belt cover under the pulleys.i drove all day today and the vibration seemed less aparent probley getting use to it though not bad to begin with.and you cannot remove the shafts in the car because of the oil galleys need to be plugged and this cant be done in car.the weight savings of removing the shafts is small some where around 18 lbs combined i think.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:42 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can actually buy a BS delet kit directly from a MITSZUBISHI dealer.
Old 03-10-2002, 10:23 AM
TCarrera
Advanced

Why risk contamination in your oiling system for just the weight of the shafts. The HP gain comes from disconnection them, they don't weigh that much anyway. If the engine is out for a rebuild, fine, but not with it to do it in the car. Just my personal opinion.
We had our doubts too when we first wanted to disconnect the shafts, about 50-50 don't vs do. We have have been running without them connected for 4 years now and no problems. Glad someone tried for themselves.
Again, I wouldn't recommend this for a street car, the harmonics could be a problem at a steady highway speed.
Good Luck
Mike at LR
Old 03-11-2002, 01:53 AM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

EXACTLY WHAT I SAY!!!!

When SFR builds a motor, we always leave them out! We weld the oil lines, fab a custom turbo feed and WHAM! One less belt, very little vibration...and quicker load to spool t he turbo...

Indeed, all is well.

Quick Reply: counterbalance update1