Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch for street/track

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 07:29 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what ever you do not get a SPEC they suck. you cant modulate them at all. its like u have clutch then you dont. on/off. get a get stage 1 its just like factory but slightly stiffer. I have kep on mine. and i have driven spec as well.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:05 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by reno808
what ever you do not get a SPEC they suck. you cant modulate them at all. its like u have clutch then you dont. on/off. get a get stage 1 its just like factory but slightly stiffer. I have kep on mine. and i have driven spec as well.
Interesting comment. I have a Spec stage II. Segmented kevlar disk. Modulates very well. Slightly heavier than stock pedal effort. Doesn't slip with the amount of torque i'm making so far. I have no brand loyalty to Spec and have driven many other clutches but wouldn't make a broad statement that they suck.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:35 PM
Baptizo
This didn't cost
me any drachmas
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s14kev
Interesting comment. I have a Spec stage II. Segmented kevlar disk. Modulates very well. Slightly heavier than stock pedal effort. Doesn't slip with the amount of torque i'm making so far. I have no brand loyalty to Spec and have driven many other clutches but wouldn't make a broad statement that they suck.
Cool, that's encouraging information since I haven't had a chance to install mine and develop my own opinion.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:56 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
I don't want to rain on big hp aftermarket clutches, but if they have way higher clamping force than stock, it's not good.

Really the only way that main bearings fail in this car is thrust bearing failure from riding the clutch and/or using clutches with high clamping force.

I make plenty of hp and use a sachs cup-car clutch without incident.
Does anyone know what the Sachs PP combined with stock, 930, and cup clutches are rated at for torque?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:05 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used the stock sachs with a 930 disk and it would not hold 370 lb ft. I would recomend southbend as well.

I'm going to try a spec PP with the feramic disk next to see how it does. If it doesn't hold I'm going to KEP stg 1 PP. I know it works well in Josh's car (KEP feramic)
edit; forgot he has stg 2 pp
Old 10-31-2011, 03:16 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Spec

I currently have a Spec stage 3 hybrid. My Centerforce clutch was replaced because I had to replace the crank seal so it was one of those "while you're in there"...

It does rev faster with the billet FW and it does have a lot more chatter. I have less than a 1k miles on it and works fine for my purposes as a track day toy. I only hope the chatter subsides as it gets annoying for the occasional beer run.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:11 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by reno808
I agree with this. I've been running a spec s2 for about 6 years. It's basically an on/off switch.

Holds up fine with 415 rwhp, however.

If clutch jobs weren't such a pain, I'd have swapped it out for something else already.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:32 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s14kev
I was just talking about my personal experience. Seems like ninefiveone tends to agree as well. I drove the spec and KEPII PP before i bought the KEPI. Reason why i bought the KEPI was because i knew i wasn't going to make that much power. At the time ppl were having problem with the forks. I also have the 6 puck clutch with no springs from clutchnet. That thing is awsome.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:54 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

I have the KEP stage 1 and a KEP street disc.

It seems to hold all the power I make. Not idea how much power. I do know that when it comes on boost hard in 2nd gear from a roll, the tires will start spinning and the rear end kicks out.

It feels like the clutch is slipping (RPMS rise really fast and car isn't accelerating) but the rear end starts going to the right so I know its not the clutch slipping.

I need stickier tires now....

-Dana
Old 10-31-2011, 11:18 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

hmmm...my head is really spinning now
Old 10-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by racerxrick
hmmm...my head is really spinning now

There's a lot of good info in this thread. Nothing beats hands on experience.

Tons of people love the SPEC kits, and tons of people hate them, too.

I had to do a clutch job twice because my first clutch wasn't working properly (should have listened to everyone, but I didn't...and I paid for it).

Will the car have to be back up quick? Or can you afford to let it sit for a little while?

One suggestion I have would be to move away from the factory turbo disc to avoid having to deal with the small helper springs later down the road. If they fall out, it's not fun!
Old 10-31-2011, 12:44 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S

One suggestion I have would be to move away from the factory turbo disc to avoid having to deal with the small helper springs later down the road. If they fall out, it's not fun!
Good point!!

Another thing is. Drive a 951 with the clutch options you want and test it. IF you were around me i would let you drive my car so you can get a feel. I think that's the best way. I did it and i am super happy with the results
Old 10-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ninefiveone
I agree with this. I've been running a spec s2 for about 6 years. It's basically an on/off switch.

Holds up fine with 415 rwhp, however.

If clutch jobs weren't such a pain, I'd have swapped it out for something else already.
Did you follow the break in procedure they recommend of 500 miles of stop and go driving before full throttle acceleration. The reason I ask is because I had the same experience my my spec stage 2 as s14kev. good modulation without chatter and no slipping.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:17 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Clutch/pedal adjustment has alot to do with driveability also. My spec stage 2 clutch initially had the engagement point almost at the top of pedal travel and felt more on/off. With some adjustment so that the engagement point is at the middle of pedal travel, engagement is now almost like a factory clutch.

I've driven many 3 or 4 puck clutches with sintered bronze friction elements. Those are what I call on/off switches. Most full face clutches with organic or kevlar linings are pretty friendly on the street. Having a left leg that is stronger than a wet noodle helps though. Maybe some folks can try working out a little
Old 10-31-2011, 01:24 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

You can get considerable clamping force with minimal pedal effort increase. It's like having your cake and eating it, too!

Quick Reply: Clutch for street/track