Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SFR Bolt on Cat Back

Old 02-28-2002, 01:03 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post SFR Bolt on Cat Back

Does anyone here have a cat back from SFR? If so how does it sound? I am looking for a replacement Muffler etc. For my 951 and was wondering who makes one that sounds like a stock car only a little louder. Any ideas?
Old 02-28-2002, 01:26 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the complete SFR exhaust, 3". It sounds great to me a bit loud for my wife. The craftmanship is excellent.

To give her a benefit, I cut the pipe off the old factory muffler, had a muffler shop put on a 3" pc of split pipe, expand it to go over the 3" SFR pipe, so I have two mufflers. One for me and one for her. It takes 7 minutes to change, one muffler clamp and two hangers.
Old 02-28-2002, 02:14 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Now is a man who loves his woman. That is a pretty cool idea. Do you notice any difference when you switch between mufflers.

I mean a performance difference.
Old 02-28-2002, 02:32 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 3" catback is a lot louder than the stock system, I drove behind John today and it sounds really good! Very deep V8 type growl. He says he can't hear it much in the car so that's a good thing.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:58 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, 10 yrs of marriage has been great.

I haven't noticed much difference because I don't drive it too hard with her in it when I have on that muffler. I usually change it back after we have been somewhere in it over the weekend. It is much louder than stock but in a sports car sound. Quiter than GHL though,,that's loud.

What you will notice is the weight savings,,Wow. I can grap the rear SFR muffler with total ease with one hand and it is really light. The factory muffler is heavy. Not to mention the cat pipe but if your state sniffs then you could buy some V-clamp flanges and clamps, buy a high flow stainless cat and swap out at tag time. The complete exhaust system is light.
Old 03-01-2002, 03:11 AM
tecart
Pro

can we see a pic of this setup from the rear(so i can see the tip and its cut/shape and fit), and/or from the side(so i can see how far out from the rubber bumper guard the tip extends out), underneth would be great too, sfr website dont show it too good
Old 03-01-2002, 09:17 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote]Does anyone here have a cat back from SFR? If so how does it sound? <hr></blockquote>

Kool,

I rode in John's (Speed Force Racing) 951 yesterday. It was not any louder inside than my bone stock 951. However as PorscheG96 stated it did have a very impressive deep growel from the outside. And the performance was amazing! John did not floor it, but even at partial throttle I was pulled back in the seat.

I have brought my stock 951 here to San Diego, to have the guys at SFR improve my performance. John and Tim are using my car as their test 951, to develop a custom chipset. Their goal is to squease the maximum power that they can out of the stock setup, by using only a custom SFR chipset. Max power for min dollar!

They will dyno the stock setup as a baseline, then with more dyno runs and several chips, arrive at the max output SFR custom chip (John/Tim please correct me if I have the process incorrect).

Judging by what John and Tim have done with John's car, I am certain that I will have a large smile soon.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:30 AM
tecart
Pro

what exhaust did he run from converter back? muffler size? tip size? look of the exhaust? testpipe in there? thanks if you know, i may be getting this setup from them

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SFR Bolt on Cat Back