Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Patrick's build thread. (IT RUNS!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:15 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
We’ve basically just gone up about 230lbs in rate both front and rear. So the ‘feel’ should be the same. Bit of guesswork in terms of specifying the new springs based on the extra downforce. The issue we had before was of the inside rears lifting off the ground. I mean, perhaps the setup was taily as well but I don’t believe the springs were why I came off the track. I will be taking things slowly and Paul will do the first session. He’s an accomplished driver and will be much more efficient than me dealing with the setup. Whereas I anticipate going down the straight for the first time and feeling 500whp kicking in, screaming like a little girl and covering my eyes with my hands!!

Thanks Scott. You were actually on my list to email. Thanks for your support over the years too. Very much appreciated.

NB: We’ve just gone to fit the version 2 of the LR racing axles/CV’s and the short axle doesn’t fit. Too long. Very frustrating. So we will go back to version 1 and cross fingers. I’ll have to get measurements and see where these axles are the wrong dimension and send them back.
Fwiw, going up identical increments front/rear will only maintain balance when your motion ratio is equal front/rear. In our case it's quite different f/r, so just be prepared.

Regardless the car looks fantastic. Be sure to get ample video!
Old 09-23-2013, 12:38 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

True Colin. I thought of that when I hit enter. :-)

I'll be taking it plenty slow for sure!!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:59 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Old 09-23-2013, 04:01 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Whereas I anticipate going down the straight for the first time and feeling 500whp kicking in, screaming like a little girl and covering my eyes with my hands!!
Patrick, please don't cover your eyes with your hands! I'm sure you'll learn to be as brutal as Vader951.

Shame about the CV/axles... hope they sort it out for you and the others hold up.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:27 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Well the good thing is that the axles and CVs stood up to today's first shakedown for the car. We turned the boost down to about 19psi for the day. Best thing was that the car ran pretty faultlessly. The only time work was carried out was when the throttle cable was a bit grabby and we discovered that the outer shielding for the cable had in fact melted around the firewall. They think this could have even happened on the dyno. So we are very happy that so little extra work was needed for the day. Bit of a slow day as there were plenty of cars/groups today. Anyway, Paul, the builder went out first. Only did 3 laps as the cable was not right. Even so he managed a 1:03.4 which was very impressive. The car looked really quick down the straight and we were right on pit wall. He's a very good driver and is quick straight out of the box. We missed the next session but he went back out in the 3rd session and managed a 1:01.9 with an eclectic of 1:00 flat! I hope Sean doesn't mind me pinching the pic of their recent trackday at the same track to illustrate the times. Similar weather and conditions for a fair comparison.

Also a couple of pics/videos. Sorry don't have any in cabin vids yet. Just a couple more Ipad snippets. Watch in HD format.

Well you might be asking about my turn...So I went out after those first 2 sessions and...(I'll make my excuses now )...there were some V8 Supercars in our Group and a few slower cars. Without any wing mirrors I was spending more time looking in the internal mirror trying to stay out of people's way. Not easy! I was soooo rusty and not a little daunted by the car at first. You could have timed me with a Sundial. So I did a 1:12 first session. Managed to bring it down to a 1:06 after that and there's plenty left as Paul ably showed!

So all in all a really great 1st time in a totally new car. We were on Medium compound R spec Yokohama rubber for the record. Going back next week. Hope we get the same weather.

Oh and here's the tq as well. Clearly not in the same scale as we're used to. After having driven the car today on lower boost, I'm not sure how much I need the new intake just yet!

Attached Images    

Last edited by 333pg333; 11-05-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Wowzer! That's gonna be some fast car - if it's already in the 1:01s.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice one Pat. Looks like it will be quick and a lot of fun once you get it set up right.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

That is great news for a first outing, stunning that your car was timed the fastest considering the opposition.

Until you get back to mastering your beast I'd love to see an onboard video with Sean at the wheel, he'd probably be even faster than your codriver!

Really nice to hear that all your effort is now paying off.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:22 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Ian confused by the time chart, isn't that one from Sean's qualifying?
Old 09-24-2013, 02:23 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
Ian confused by the time chart, isn't that one from Sean's qualifying?
+1... date is the 21st

thats all you have for video WOW i am surprised.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Fredrik H
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell us more about the front fenders. Wider? Easy to fit? Available?
Old 09-24-2013, 05:07 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like you were DTM inspired! Looks very aggressive. Would love to see more of that front end when the panels are off.

Glad your back out!
Old 09-24-2013, 05:24 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Yes, guys. As I said, that was the timesheet from Sean's trackday on the previous weekend. Just wanted to show you as a comparison. I'd like to also say that Sean doing a 1:03 is extremely fast considering his car is a daily driver. Much heavier than my car without any Aero. So his time is even better than ours if put into perspective. However, I wasn't really saying that our time is the be all and end all, more that we had a very successful 1st shakedown. Usually these are spent doing a lot of work in the pits fixing things that are failing or loose or whatever. Gives me confidence in the builder. Have to also thank Sean for helping us out when we had a last minute Oil pressure issue with the motor. Only last week it had to be pulled out and torn down for some unforeseen changes to be made. Sean who works a few miles away was able to help us out and go and do the tear down/reassemble in quick time. Many thanks to Buchanan Automotive for their continued help and friendship!

Sorry guys, I didn't have the cameras in the car. Paul did and he will upload them in the coming days. Put some Go-Pros in some interesting positions so there might be a little delay due to editing. Don't worry, I'm really hanging out to see them too.

Tim and Fredrick

The car has been designed to compete in World Time Attack. While not door to door racing (I don't have the money for that) it is a very fast growing format of essentially qualifying for 2 days. In other words, fastest lap wins. There are 4 different classes and some extremely fast cars. eg a Cup car will generally do this track in 1:31-1:32, maybe a bit quicker if a Cup 'S'. The Aussie Supercar V8's fastest lap is a high 1:27 from memory. Last year's winner of W.T.A. did it in 1:25 flat and the car was not long finished before the event. This is also all on R spec rubber! So as you can see, they're very quick cars. The fastest cars in my group will do it in low 1:30's I'd say. We are hoping to get under 1:35 this time around but who knows...The front fenders and rocker panels on the car were developed by Mike at I.F.C. via many emails back and forth. The bumper is Broadfoot. Nose panel from Belgium and rear fenders from GT racing. The lights from D9 and the hood from Van Zweden!!!! In other words...it took a hell of a lot of time (money) to get this all to work.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Congratulations Patrick,
So good to see things come to fruition for you with such a successful day... great times and no real glitches - you really deserve it!
Old 09-24-2013, 07:01 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

The car looks and sounds unreal Patrick, Well done on the first shakedown. You must be over the moon. Paul at Custom Evolution has done a great job building such a weapon of a car. And to do those times on Rspec tyres is just amazing. Just for a bit of comparison the top 6 guys on that qualifying timesheet were on slicks.

Quick Reply: Patrick's build thread. (IT RUNS!)