Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

headlamp washer/windshield washer pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 04:17 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post headlamp washer/windshield washer pump

I'm wondering if the headlamp washer (optional on 944s) and the windshield washer pumps pull fluid from the same tank of washer fluid. I can't find where I have two hoses going into the tank, and the motor for my windshield seems to be bad, but the headlamp washers are still functioning.

i know there are two separate motors, but are their two separate fluid tanks to keep filled?
Old 02-25-2002, 06:00 AM
tt9714
Racer

I just removed the ~single~ tank on my '86 951. The tank has a very unusual shape so that it wraps around the headlight motor and PS cooling line.

The pump for the windshield washer is visible on top and attaches to the plastic tank with a clip. There is a separate pump located near the bottom of the tank for the headlight washers. This plastic hose has some heat tape wrapped around it because it is routed very close to the external oil cooler. If you remove the front lower splash guard you should be able to see the bottom fitting.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:08 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

thanks! yeah, i was just wondering how you refill the tank for the headlamps washers, or if it gets its fluid from the main tank for the windshield.

actually, my front end has been replaced and they didn't put the grommets on the bumper for the headlights, so when i hit the control for the headlamps, it just squirts washer fluid out the front end of my car all over the ground! ( i bought some grommets from pelicanparts and hopefully can just put the in when i get a chance so the control will serve a purpose.)
Old 02-25-2002, 03:34 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, they are both fed out of the same fluid tank though different years have different setups as far as the pumps and hoses.

I don't know if I would bother fixing the headlight squirters. They don't clean worth squat, especially if the headlights are on and hot.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:49 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Used to have '87 944na with bad windshield washer motor.Original from Porsche was way too expensive.I found out that this pump (VDO) is excately the same as VW Golf (second generation) have.Only the mounting bracket is different.You can use this bracket from your old pump easily.This VW pump cost only few $ from the local parts store.Now i have '88 951 which have totally different kind of set up..

Olli,
'88 951

Quick Reply: headlamp washer/windshield washer pump