Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 07:09 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Post Clutch Problems

As you all probably know I have been saving my pennies for a new clutch. However I'm about $300 bux shy including the labor but I still need to drive my car but it's starting to act up really bad. If I'm in any gear and get on the boost the rpms zoom way up but the car doesn't really accelerate hard at all, then the rpms will will fall down really fast like the clutch finely catched or something and will take off. Its almost like the clutch is not getting enough pressure forced against it to not make it not slip. Is it dangerous to keep driving the car around? Could the clutch just all together quit and leave me stranded somewhere? Just to test the clutch I dumped the clutch at 4k and the car didn't spin the tires the clutch just kept slipping. Obviously im taking it easy on the clutch, but if I continue to take it easy will it hold up for another 500 miles until I drop it off at Howard Cooper to have it replaced?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2002, 10:32 PM
Sean951
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes,it is bad to drive your car with the clutch in that condition. It's not a question of if it will leave you stranded, but when it will leave you stranded.

My clutch grenaded itself after my turbo upgrade and it looked great and was well within spec when I had the engine out for the rebuild. Problem with some of these clutches are the spring centers fall apart and parts float between the pressure plate and flywheel causing the slipping to occur.

3 probable outcomes:

1)Eventually you will either grind up the loose parts.

2)Saw your clutch fork in half.

3)Warp your flywheel in the process.

These things happened all at once in my car no warning and yes I was calling a flat-bed. Now I have a Ceneterforce dual friction and it is awesome.

Good Luck,
Sean
Old 02-25-2002, 01:47 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am starting to think my clutch is a bit weak too. today i tried to get a good start off a light. i had the motor revved to spool the turbo and when i let off the clutch i was at about 4000 rpm. when i let off, i also gunned it, but the clutch didn't catch and it shot up to redline and finally came down when it caught..

what kind of costs are estimated on clutch repairs/replacements?
Old 02-25-2002, 10:42 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
danny looks like we are in the same boat. $$$$$$$$$$$.

Quick Reply: Clutch Problems