Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

86 951 no start (with video)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:03 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did u check ur acutally getting spark and or fuel? in ur videos the car doesnt cough up at all. it should.if ur getting both like u said. u sure the spark plug wires are not crossed? make sure your spark plugs are not foud
Old 11-23-2011, 11:32 AM
kombatrok
Pro

Originally Posted by reno808
did u check ur acutally getting spark and or fuel? in ur videos the car doesnt cough up at all. it should.if ur getting both like u said. u sure the spark plug wires are not crossed? make sure your spark plugs are not foud
No spark at the plugs or coming off the coil, I have fuel at the rail. Believe me I have been over the simple stuff with a fine tooth comb. What I'm trying to figure out is why I'm not getting spark.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:53 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kombatrok
No spark at the plugs or coming off the coil, I have fuel at the rail. Believe me I have been over the simple stuff with a fine tooth comb. What I'm trying to figure out is why I'm not getting spark.
I hear you. have you taken out your spark plug and crank the car? I have found out with these cars it can be anything
Old 11-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kombatrok
I get an immediate single bounce as soon as I turn the key to start. After that nothing...

I just bought the scope. Is there a good guide on how to use it to check the sensors? I've never used one before.
Just follow the examples in the manual.
http://www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdS...tions_062C.pdf
If you have any problems, just drop me a PM.

On the spark, have you tried tapping the (-) side of the coil to ground? That should generate a spark. If it does, next step is to look at the sensors and the DME coil driver and see what the signals look like. All the signal and test point are in the DME/KLR test plan (service manual). If you don't have it, drop me a PM and I will get it to you, big file. There are two control signals to the DME relay that might be causing a no-start. Have you put in the DME relay jumper? Clarks has a nice description.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:28 PM
kombatrok
Pro

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Just follow the examples in the manual.
http://www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdS...tions_062C.pdf
If you have any problems, just drop me a PM.

On the spark, have you tried tapping the (-) side of the coil to ground? That should generate a spark. If it does, next step is to look at the sensors and the DME coil driver and see what the signals look like. All the signal and test point are in the DME/KLR test plan (service manual). If you don't have it, drop me a PM and I will get it to you, big file. There are two control signals to the DME relay that might be causing a no-start. Have you put in the DME relay jumper? Clarks has a nice description.
I will try grounding the coil, ignition on and a spark tester in the lead going to the distributor im guessing?

I believe i tried the jumper when i was initially troubleshooting, but i will try again to be sure.

Reno808 As far as taking a spark plug out and cranking, im not sure what that would accomplish? I already know im not getting spark.

I will be able to work on the car this weekend after i get back in town, ill try the jumper and setting the sensor gap, as well as checking for spark by grounding the coil... will post back with the results!

Many thanks again, im a pretty good mechanic, but the electronics side of this is kicking my ***. Starting to make me wish I hadn't sold my NA
Old 11-24-2011, 02:27 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

DME Relay??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Old 11-26-2011, 06:28 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

kombatrok
Check your PM.

kev951
The DME relay powers the DME (pin 87)...that its name. Poor power or no power will cause all sorts of problems. The DME generates the tach and coil signals.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Bri Bro; 11-26-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:52 AM
kombatrok
Pro

I wonder if there could be more issues with the under dash wiring harness for the fuse box? It seems like if there was an issue with the wiring for the DME relay you could have a no start condition.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have seen several cases of bad contacts and wiring to the DME relay. If the relay get hot due to a high current draw from a defective injector, fuel pump, DME, idle controller etc. it transfers heat to the relay plug and wires. Its always a good thing to rule out.

I sent it, let me know if it gets through.

Last edited by Bri Bro; 11-26-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:35 PM
kombatrok
Pro

Got it! Thanks, I'll look into the relay wiring as well.

Quick Reply: 86 951 no start (with video)