Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

help finding info on this garrett turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:38 PM
ChrisLovin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help finding info on this garrett turbo

well when changing some of my coolant hoses today before the rain, i saw that my turbo was labeled Garrett. had not noticed this before on this car which is still 1 month old in my posession, so i got as close as i could under and around it to find it is labeled Garrett A/R 80 M24. does anyone know anything about this turbo, it doesnt look very big. and is there any reason why my coolant hoses would have been updated from the '86 versions to the newer versions, i have this T shaped hose and it doesnt match my others >< if only i had bought this car from the man who actually had it modded and not someone who just thought it was "cool to have" i guess thats what you pay for when you pay high dollar on these cars. you pay for the knowledge that he previous owner has of the car and proof haha.

thanks for the help to the mystery

-Chris Lovin
Old 09-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The turbo could be a few things, but most likely it is a T25 (or variant)... Definitely not a performance upgrade for the 951 - in fact, the T25 is smaller than a stock K26/6.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:14 PM
ChrisLovin
Instructor

eew...
thanks for the reply.
how can i know for sure?
Old 09-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

By pulling off the housings and measuring the inducer and exducer on both wheels...
Old 09-15-2011, 09:20 PM
ChrisLovin
Instructor

ugh, so its more than likely a downgrade for my 86 turbo?
Old 09-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Clown
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChrisLovin
eew...
thanks for the reply.
how can i know for sure?
The good news is you probably have no lag...
Old 09-15-2011, 10:10 PM
ChrisLovin
Instructor

well now i'm lost i've been trying to figure out how to best go about making my car reliable (to some degree, i know how difficult/ tricky it can be with these cars.) and fast enough to be proud of. I already am proud of it but i'm just trying to dig a little to see what the previous owner(s) had done to it. the chip(s? i haven't checked the KLR) are autothority which i have read are pretty obsolete now compared to the most recent released chips it has LRMAF2 setup and Mafterburner that in conjunction with the chips make it start up rough when cold and pretty inconsistent AFR while driving and idling warm, no clue what sized injectors i hope stock but who knows, an old looking FPR i will assume is stock but again no clue. and now what seems to be a downgraded Turbo? and the turbo has some braded line with blue and red connectors that i wanna say almost looks like an oil feed kit? also red hoses that look like they may be an MBC (if it is i dun think the KLR chip would be autothority but who knows)I dunno I'll post pics tomorrow. and i just bought the silicone Coolant Hose kit from LR but it seems like where i should have that T Hose for the 86 model i don't? or i'm just not looking in the right place anyways i have replaced the one hose that busted waterpump to heater which was a pain because of how beastly the LR hose was, tough to bend and thick (which i do like )
I'm still head over heels for my car but in need of advise as far as what to do.
I'm not rich but i don't consider myself poor either, i save money like a hoarder saves cats.
I like the idea of returning to stock but i know i'm gonna want to mod it and keep putting money into it.
/vent over

what would you all do?
Old 09-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Clown
Instructor

Best bang for your buck mods for these cars without getting too out of hand:

(Your car may or may not have some of these things allready done to it Im not sure and it sounds like you are not quite sure either. Poke around the car and look for these items below)

Full 3" Exhaust ($200 Used)
Larger Turbo ($900-1700 New) ($400-900 Used)
M-Tune from (Roguetuning.com) This is a Mass Air Flow Kit and Chip
Manual Boost Controller ($65)
Dual Port Wastegate ($400 New) ($200 used)
New Sillicone Vacuum Hose Kit ($35)

About $3000.00 Total Give or take a couple hundred.

You will be then be over 300 RWHP and closer to 350 depending on Turbo

If you dont want to spend your hoard go out and get the A-tune Chip. People on this forum love this and you can always upgrade to M-Tune later on.
http://www.roguetuning.com/951_afm_kit_a-tune%C2%A9

If you can research, follow directions, turn a wrench, have access to a garage and tools, you can do all the work yourself and save lots of money and have more to hoard. People are always on this forum to help if you get stuck or have a stupid question.

If you are done hoarding and want to spend some money then have someone else do it. Then you can blame them when something blows up.

Try to source the Wastegate/Exhuast used and buy the M-Tune (MAF, Chip, Larger Fuel Injectors) and Larger Turbo New if you can afford it.

Best Place for Used parts: EBAY and this forum. Just keep checking it every day. The parts will show up eventually.

This is just my opinion though...maybe someone else with more experience with these cars will chime in. I was sort of in your position a few months ago purchasing my first car which was litteraly in peices back in November. Still a work in progress....
Old 09-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

i know the Garrett A/R 60 M24 are R34 GTR N1 Turbos and they're T25 turbos but a 80 a/r??

id love to see pictures of the turbo, does you car have an external wastegate?
Old 09-16-2011, 01:00 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,

There are a few of us semi local to you who might be able to help if and when you want to dive in deeper...

I am moving back to the Richmond area next week, and I know several other in the general area..
Old 09-16-2011, 02:14 PM
ChrisLovin
Instructor

Clown; thank you this is the kind of advise I was looking for an you included est. prices. I will be doing most of the work myself Or else I will not respect myself when I drive it .

Paully: I will try and get some decent pics of it soon and I'm nor sure if it has an ext wastegate.

John: thanks for the offer, I would really enjoy Meeting up I have seen some of you on here but have been hesitant to send out the help message as I know we are all busy people and I don't wanna be the pestering help me help me type (at least not in person).
Old 09-16-2011, 02:47 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clown; thank you this is the kind of advise I was looking for an you included est. prices. I will be doing most of the work myself Or else I will not respect myself when I drive it .

Paully: I will try and get some decent pics of it soon and I'm nor sure if it has an ext wastegate.

John: thanks for the offer, I would really enjoy Meeting up I have seen some of you on here but have been hesitant to send out the help message as I know we are all busy people and I don't wanna be the pestering help me help me type (at least not in person).
Not too often a weekend goes by without me having my hands on someones car / engine / parts / making somethingorother...... and most of us run in a pretty tight(ly wound) pack.. if you do fall in with us, just make sure you have big boy pants on, and thick skin..

The last big GTG for wrenching we had still gets spoken of once in a while when someone mentions something about CurtP's new shifter...
Old 09-16-2011, 03:33 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

does anyone know anything about this turbo, it doesnt look very big. and is there any reason why my coolant hoses would have been updated from the '86 versions to the newer versions, i have this T shaped hose and it doesnt match my others
The t-shaped hose was likely the hose that connected the coolant tank to the coolant crossover pipe and tee'd off to the electric turbo water pump that attaches via a bracket to the front of the brake booster heat shield. I bet that the replacement turbo is not water cooled (oil only) so whoever did the swap eliminated the extra coolant plumbing no longer needed.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:28 PM
ChrisLovin
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Not too often a weekend goes by without me having my hands on someones car / engine / parts / making somethingorother...... and most of us run in a pretty tight(ly wound) pack.. if you do fall in with us, just make sure you have big boy pants on, and thick skin..

The last big GTG for wrenching we had still gets spoken of once in a while when someone mentions something about CurtP's new shifter...
You sound like just the fellers ive been itching to meet. Let me know if/when you all gather. sorry to hear bout your move to richmond. I assume you are in Va beach now?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:34 PM
ChrisLovin
Instructor

The blak adjuster Which reads pull to adjust. You can see those red hoses coming off which go all around and connect to my FP dampener FPR and I'm sure something else and what I think is the oil line to the turbo
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: help finding info on this garrett turbo