Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Custom under radio gauge panel - pics

Old 09-15-2011, 01:18 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Custom under radio gauge panel - pics

Just got this in today from Front Panel Express. Very happy with the finished product although I'll probably order another one with some tweaks to my idea for the first one. Was $44.58. I ordered it on Monday 9/5 (holiday) and recieved it today using USPS priority. I'll be happy to share my design file with anyone that wants it. I only had to slightly file down each side on the lower part and also increase the bottom corner radius's. I went with 2mm thick material but would rather use 3mm I think.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:26 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

That looks great! Can you email me the design file? I will trade you for a knock counter with a reset button. I will bring it Saturday.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:28 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by refresh951
That looks great! Can you email me the design file? I will trade you for a knock counter with a reset button. I will bring it Saturday.
Will send it over - that is funny - was thinking of asking you for a knock counter with a reset button
Old 09-15-2011, 01:46 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's pretty fantastic.

I've been thinking of doing something like that soon, but with the Zeitronix LCD gauge that I have and some sort of a keyed switch to select between gas and E85 maps. Haven't done it yet because I plan to add a piggy back and an EBC so I can ditch the big black **** which is currently mounted in that space. If you could send me the design file, I'm sure I can edit it to my needs.. it would be a great start!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:49 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Looks great. Here are some pictures of my various panels that I've posted before...

On yours, if you do it again, you might want to switch the gauges, so the zeitronix is on the left. The zeitronix is the one you'll want to see on a time sensitive basis. With it in the middle, the gear shifter blocks your view of it in third -- which isn't good when you're checking at WOT. Also, trust you know you could use a matching zeitronix gauge for the oil temp (or just one multi-function gauge if you don't mind flipping back and forth)...
Attached Images   
Old 09-15-2011, 02:41 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^ NOS switch!!!! ^^^
Old 09-15-2011, 09:47 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was thinking about doing the same thing with mine but it is already crowded.

Trending Topics

Old 09-15-2011, 10:46 AM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks awesome. I'd like to do something with the Apexi EBC I have under my radio. Its a pretty big EBC and there isn't much room left but if I could have a plate made and move it over to one side maybe I could fit a data port and/or AF gauge.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:46 PM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

Looks great. What options do they have for USB ports? Will they allow you to change the dimensions of the panel to match the design of the center console so you don't have to file and it will follow the same angle?
Old 09-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlturpin
Looks great. What options do they have for USB ports? Will they allow you to change the dimensions of the panel to match the design of the center console so you don't have to file and it will follow the same angle?
The filing isn't that bad as this is high grade aluminum and pretty soft. I could only find the design program where I could do straight edges - can't taper it. Not sure how you would do a USB but there must be some sort of bracket or something that would mount onto the plate nicely. The serial ports do date the technology on the car
Old 09-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh B
The filing isn't that bad as this is high grade aluminum and pretty soft. I could only find the design program where I could do straight edges - can't taper it. Not sure how you would do a USB but there must be some sort of bracket or something that would mount onto the plate nicely. The serial ports do date the technology on the car
There is nothing wrong with RS232! It's way better at simple serial communication than USB... USB is designed to be universal (hence the 'U'), and as such, isn't quite as good at everything it does as dedicated technologies are. It's like cell phones... remember, a couple years back, when cell phones were just phones? Maybe they took pictures too, but they were primarily phones. Now that cell phones are little computers, the phone is an "app", and it acts like a computer application... it crashes, it freezes, it develops an attitude over time... that never happened when phones were just phones! The more technology tries to be "universal" the worse it is at everything it does!

I would probably get the little plastic caps for the RS232 ports though.. you don't want dust getting into them when you're not using them.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:14 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

Interesting, I know I've made my own custom gauge face to replace the vents above the radio. I'm always interested to see some clean install of these things.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:57 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Crackership
That's pretty fantastic.

I've been thinking of doing something like that soon, but with the Zeitronix LCD gauge that I have and some sort of a keyed switch to select between gas and E85 maps. Haven't done it yet because I plan to add a piggy back and an EBC so I can ditch the big black **** which is currently mounted in that space. If you could send me the design file, I'm sure I can edit it to my needs.. it would be a great start!
They are located in Georgetown too, so turnaround is very quick (you could probably go and pick up instead of shipping). I've used them for projects at work and it's A+ stuff.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
They are located in Georgetown too, so turnaround is very quick (you could probably go and pick up instead of shipping). I've used them for projects at work and it's A+ stuff.
I didn't even notice that! I suppose I could just go pick it up...

thanks, Alex!
Old 09-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

The opening under the radio is not rectangular….its a tad wider at the top than the bottom.
I have had quite a few panels made up at panelexpress and I have a nicely tweaked file….

Anybody want one? chris@944enhancement.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom under radio gauge panel - pics