Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Noise under dash? sounds like whiring/ chirping motor? help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 10:25 PM
tecart
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Noise under dash? sounds like whiring/ chirping motor? help

Im trying to solve a weird noise under my dash and cant figure out what part needs replacing. When i put the key in the ignition and turn it to the right just before starting but power is on, under my dash from the passanger side i can hear a motor spinning (like maybe its the fan motor under the shroud by the front windshield?) but in addition to this spinning i hear a chirp and or chirpping coming from the same area, now it also makes this noise when the car is running at idle or driving but its harder to hear, so the problem happens when ever the power is on. What part is squealing or chirping/whiring its in need of replacing and im not sure what to order, hope its easy to get to also. someone has had to have heard this also, its not the bubbling noise that you hear when the coolant/heater system needs to be bled of air, its a motor spinning/chirping noise, thanks for the help P.S. you can hear it really well if you put your ear up under the glovebox part of the dash but more to the left towards the hot water return pipe under the dash that has the black foam insulation on it, there is 2 pipes under there, but again its a motor i think not a pipe that is the noise source
Old 04-12-2003, 11:52 PM
Rick Veague
Addict
Rennlist Member

Most likely it's the air temp sensor - it's the assembly behind the small circular grill next to the glovebox in the dash. It has a small powered fan which draws air from the cabin and based on the temperature, sends a signal to the climate control (if you can call it that).

Removal requires minor disassembly of the dash (not too hard but be very careful - the plastic parts snap easily). The hard part - I've not located a cost effective replacement part.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:12 PM
951carter
Racer

Pull the fuses one at a time to see what stops the noise from happening.
That should at least tell you what system is causing the noise.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:04 AM
tecart
Pro

thanks guys, it was the air-temp sensor motor under the dash, it was a biatch to get at, but i got it out, it is the motor that sucks air in thru the little vent grill next to the cig. lighter and a long rubber hose then attaches to this motor, i have sourced it at porsche, its 275 dollars !!! so i got a perfect one out of a j-yard for 30 bucks, thanks again

Quick Reply: Noise under dash? sounds like whiring/ chirping motor? help