Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Suspension setup advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 11:44 AM
TJ
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Suspension setup advice

Hey everyone, I just purchased my first 944, an 89 turbo, and I was wondering if you guys could lead me in the right direction for a suspension setup.

First the car is completely stock with 92,000 miles on it. I want to eventually turn it into a track car when funds permit, but right now I am in college and money is tight.
The car is going to be a weekend/DE car now but would like to start club racing next year in the stock classes.

Any advise in what I should start with and where to get the parts??

Thanks
-TJ
Old 02-12-2002, 02:34 PM
RPG951S
Racer

Talking

Guess I'll chime in first.

If your looking to do light track duty/DE type stuff, I'd simply make sure the stock setup is in tip-top shape. Rebuild your koni shocks, change any (suspension/swaybar) bushings that look suspect. Set your ride height and alignment (isn't having a fully adjustable suspension grand )
A bone stock turbo S suspension, in perfect working order, is already VERY capable at light track duty. In addition, the stock tuning is very easy to learn with, and will not bite you back.

When you truely feel that the suspension is holding you back, then consider changing it.
But in all honesty, it will take quite a while before you can take full advantage of suspension work.
Old 02-12-2002, 03:09 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by TJ:
<strong>Hey everyone, I just purchased my first 944, an 89 turbo, and I was wondering if you guys could lead me in the right direction for a suspension setup.

First the car is completely stock with 92,000 miles on it. I want to eventually turn it into a track car when funds permit</strong><hr></blockquote>That's a shame. There aren't many of these cars left on the street, so unless this one's a beater why don't you save it from the track

I have to agree with the previous response. A 1989 turbo is already a very capable car in the hands of a skilled driver, so unless you are prepared to spend the big money to make it competitive in racing I'd drive it like it is and learn all you can.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:57 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts
Tom's got a good point. I bought my turbo S primarily for DEs, with the intent of eventually moving it towards more dedicated track use. They're pretty collectible, for a mass-market car, though. My current plan is to drive it on the street and in DEs til I'm better than it is, then sell it and either go back to a 993 or, more likely, buy a 951 that someone's already made into a good track car.

IMO, do as RPG951S says,:get the stock pieces sorted out and spend the rest of the $$ on track time. When you find you need more sell your relatively low mileage car and buy a built track car.
Old 02-13-2002, 12:17 PM
TJ
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice. The car is not a beater. The exterior paint is in good condition, but the nose is pitted and scratch to hell, that is why I dont mind taking out on the track. I dont mind a few marble marks there. But the interior and engine compartment are pristine and I would like to keep them that way.

The reasone that I am asking is because I did my first De in the car a few weeks ago at Road Atlanta, and while impressed with the car already, I would like to keep it a little flatter in the turns. I was thinking about larger sway bars as a starting point. I added larger bars, springs and stuts to my previous DE car (don't laugh --- a 92 Mazda Protege) and they made a big difference.

Of course all the turbo guys in the club are throwing MAFs, chips, etc. at me but I would rather concentrate on the handling and not so much as the power (I know this is blaphemous to some of you).

Anyway, I'll stop my rambling. Thanks for the advice guys, and maybe purchasing a 951 that someone already spent the money on is the way to go.
Cheers
-TJ
Old 02-13-2002, 02:05 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

TJ,
Sorry to come to the topic so late. It sounds to me like installing a set of the M030 swaybars (30mm hollow front, 19mm adjustable rear) would probably effect the bulk of the change you're looking for on the track. It would keep the car "factory" and be easy and cheap ($475.00 I think from Paragon).
Good Luck.
Russ
Old 02-13-2002, 08:24 PM
TJ
Intermediate

Russ-
It is and 89 turbo "s" so it came with the M030 package. What sizes are the sway bars from the factory? Are you talking about the turbo cup bars?

Thanks
-TJ
Old 02-13-2002, 09:09 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by TJ:
<strong>Russ-
It is and 89 turbo "s" so it came with the M030 package. What sizes are the sway bars from the factory? Are you talking about the turbo cup bars?
</strong><hr></blockquote>He's talking about the 968 M030 bars... which I have on my S2. I can't say how much they changed things because I did the whole suspension upgrade at once. I'm sure they help The '89 turbo has a 26.8 mm hollow front bar and a 16 mm solid rear bar.

Quick Reply: Suspension setup advice