Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LS6 Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:51 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also... since the engine is out of the car, you should "pin" the crank since it's a track engine to eliminate potential problems with the harmonic damper. Google pinning the crank and you should find out how to easily do this.

TonyG
Old 08-21-2011, 01:59 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Looking at the bell housing... is that the clutch slave line that appears to be "tuned down"? (this might be an illusion due to the picture perspective)

If so, get it pointed up, and make sure you fill and bleed (as much as you can) the clutch slave before installation. Then run a line up from the extension line you have to the engine compartment and put a speed bleeder on the end so you can bleed it.

TonyG
Old 08-21-2011, 02:10 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for the information. We have not replaced the pilot yet, we were looking at clearances.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:12 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by 968ls1
The red Energy Suspension motor mounts will eventually fail with track use I would replace them with solid chevy units the excessive heat from track use turns them to mush and the engine will sink and eventually be resting on the cross member. Look at the mounts offered by TPC they are a impoved design see the attached picture of my uprights used with a soilid chevy mount. You can see the solid chevy mounts on the photo of the engine this would be the easiest fix since you already have the RH uprights.
Your progress looks great nice attention to detail!
You're right...

But the RH mount has a stop on it which will only let it "mush" so far before it compresses the urethane into the stop.

What I've found is that it will initially compress so that the engine drops about 1/8"+ towards the cross member, then stops because of the stops on the tops of the mounts. This after you've run it hard for a couple of track sessions.

I just make sure that I have 1/4" of clearance to both the hard power steering lines and the oil pan ... to the cross member on assembly.

I take a Demel with a whip end and a cuting wheel to the cross member after the first track day to make sure that there still proper clearance of these items.

TonyG
Old 08-21-2011, 02:23 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic pic Sir. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. So much room to move just in that spot. Fantasic news. (Edited for rule humor)

Last edited by 95ONE; 08-21-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:35 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Fantastic pic Sir. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. So much room to move just in that spot. Fantasic news. I will start cutting out my firewall today! lol.

Just out of curiosity... why are you going to move your firewall? I realize it's to move the engine back... but that will potentially cause problems in most classes of racing (especially if you start winning). But what do you hope to achieve? And how, and how far, do you plan to push the transmission back?

TonyG
Old 08-21-2011, 10:20 PM
968ls1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyG
You need to fabricate a guide plate for your oil lines to sit on top of or they will get cut by the bosses on the engine block (as shown by the arrows).

TonyG

Tony-that picture is several years old and you are correct I even milled the square boss off the block before I installed that engine and made a guide to protect the lines. I remember reading when you had a problem of the oil lines getting cut. I also don't use braided lines anymore I switched to the Mocal line and push on fittings much easier to make up easier to guide.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:26 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by 968ls1
Tony-that picture is several years old and you are correct I even milled the square boss off the block before I installed that engine and made a guide to protect the lines. I remember reading when you had a problem of the oil lines getting cut. I also don't use braided lines anymore I switched to the Mocal line and push on fittings much easier to make up easier to guide.
I actually don't recommend removing the bosses. It's actually better to use them to bolt a guide plate to so that the lines can sit on the guide plate.

Without the bosses, the lines can sink in the "V" created between the steering rack and the block pinching the lines closed partially (however, at least they won't get cut by the bosses on the block).

TonyG
Old 08-21-2011, 11:28 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by TonyG
Just out of curiosity... why are you going to move your firewall? I realize it's to move the engine back... but that will potentially cause problems in most classes of racing (especially if you start winning). But what do you hope to achieve? And how, and how far, do you plan to push the transmission back?

TonyG
Who said anything about MOVING the firewall? see edit. Honestly, I'd be surprise if anyone could pick anything different about my firewall when I'm done. And if they do, it will clearly be for safety purposes. Clutch Scatter shielding.
with the motor further back, 2 important things will happen. Hood clearance, and maintained suspension geometry. (no spacers needed) As a bonus of installing the motor in this obvious spot, is of course Polar moment of inertia will be greatly enhanced as the Mass of the motor will be moved mostly behind the center line of the front wheels.

The transmission will not move it's spot.

Last edited by 95ONE; 08-21-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:20 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Who said anything about MOVING the firewall? see edit. Honestly, I'd be surprise if anyone could pick anything different about my firewall when I'm done. And if they do, it will clearly be for safety purposes. Clutch Scatter shielding.
with the motor further back, 2 important things will happen. Hood clearance, and maintained suspension geometry. (no spacers needed) As a bonus of installing the motor in this obvious spot, is of course Polar moment of inertia will be greatly enhanced as the Mass of the motor will be moved mostly behind the center line of the front wheels.

The transmission will not move it's spot.
If they find it, it will be because you get protested, and that would only happen if you are actually winning races. But the reason has zero to do with safety, and is exactly the same reason why all the the rules in like 99.9% of all race classes specifically prohibit altering the firewall or the suspension pickup points as well as connecting any of the roll cage to any of the suspension pickup points.

Once you go there, you're stuck in classes racing cars like 997 cup/RSR's, and full tube framed race cars, 800HP 911's, etc... where you'll get killed.

That's why I asked.

TonyG
Old 08-22-2011, 01:23 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Tony.. stop..my safety and cage comments were sarcastic humor where the tone gets lost in black and white letters.
I will not be winning much of anything. I will be beating up the car and working out the bugs for quite a while. Enjoying track days and such. My actual races will be in Time attack first. AND if I feel like I have an urge to scrape up the car and create dings and cuts and possibly wrecks.. I will race in a NASA series. The car meets rules in so many directions. I made sure of it. If I want to swap in a 2.5 motor and go.. It will be a breeze. If someone wants to complain then, it wont be because there is a tiny pie shape cut out of the firewall. It will be because I drove faster than them. And did all the detail work they didn't like low friction bearings, full under tray, real, working aero, etc. etc. Most of them wont protest anyway. Like your area, we will know most of each other's little differences and be in agreement. I really like the Porsche club guys, and nothing will happen without their knowledge first. You should understand that more than most, a guy who drives a Porsche with a V8 in a Porsche motor only class. They all know, understand, and welcome the fun.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:19 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Tony.. stop..my safety and cage comments were sarcastic humor where the tone gets lost in black and white letters.
I will not be winning much of anything. I will be beating up the car and working out the bugs for quite a while. Enjoying track days and such. My actual races will be in Time attack first. AND if I feel like I have an urge to scrape up the car and create dings and cuts and possibly wrecks.. I will race in a NASA series. The car meets rules in so many directions. I made sure of it. If I want to swap in a 2.5 motor and go.. It will be a breeze. If someone wants to complain then, it wont be because there is a tiny pie shape cut out of the firewall. It will be because I drove faster than them. And did all the detail work they didn't like low friction bearings, full under tray, real, working aero, etc. etc. Most of them wont protest anyway. Like your area, we will know most of each other's little differences and be in agreement. I really like the Porsche club guys, and nothing will happen without their knowledge first. You should understand that more than most, a guy who drives a Porsche with a V8 in a Porsche motor only class. They all know, understand, and welcome the fun.
Yeah yeah.... that's all fine and dandy.... until you win a race and you get protested. The more you win, the more you get protested. Everybody loves to protest the winner for any little infraction of any rule. And believe you me... the firewall alteration is a big deal.

I've seen so many cars taken apart as a result of a protest it's not funny. It's not a deal if you're not winning. But if you do... you better be prepared to have the car taken apart in little pieces and scrutinized to the x^10th degree.

Yeah... that little firewall alteration puts you into serious company.

TonyG
Old 08-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

2 important things will happen. Hood clearance, and maintained suspension geometry. (no spacers needed)
I'm not running spacers! By chance, I just happened to have a large scoop mounted right where the LS throttle body sits I had to make a notch in the carbon fiber to make it work. I also painted the throttle body black for stealth reasons.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:46 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Lemming
I'm not running spacers! By chance, I just happened to have a large scoop mounted right where the LS throttle body sits I had to make a notch in the carbon fiber to make it work. I also painted the throttle body black for stealth reasons.

I run the spacers and I never want to take them out. Seriously.

I also run the same size spacer on the transmission mount.

Yeah... drops the CG of the car.

If you have a geometry issue, redrill the cross member and get a 911 bump steer kit.

TonyG
Old 08-22-2011, 10:14 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have my data master setting up my Aim Pista. Recommended rpm limit?

Quick Reply: LS6 Project