Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How do I tell if My Car has LSD or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 11:18 PM
Badue
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do I tell if My Car has LSD or not?

Where are the option codes listed on the car? Is there a way to use the part # on the tranny? See I want to know if my car has it, also I have another tranny out of an 86 that I want to see if it has LSD as well.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:27 PM
Dave944t
Track Day

its called a burn out. tip:4,000 rpm and left knee should come up very fast, have a spotter if you cant tell by the drifting one way of the other
Old 01-30-2002, 11:39 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lmao
nah! just jack up the rear. put the car in gear. If both tires rotate in the same direction. YOu have an lsd
Old 01-31-2002, 12:25 AM
bron964
Racer

badue - underneath the rear hatch carpet on the back of your car should be all of your option codes. look for 220 which tells you that from the factory your car was equipped with Locking (Limited Slip) differential.

for more info check out <a href="http://www.cantonia.com/option_codes.html" target="_blank">the watercooler</a>

if the code isin't there, there's always the chance that the PO installed it...
Old 01-31-2002, 02:52 AM
Badue
Advanced

Thanks Bron,

Very Helpfull. Nice link!
Old 01-31-2002, 03:05 AM
Badue
Advanced

I got 220! The tranny I have on the floor in my garage is not a LSD aparrently. I can turn the output shaft on one side and the other rotates oppositely.
Now here's the deal. I may need to start another thread. This car has been roaring in the rear and getting progressively louder. I tried turning hard in each direction and found that it went away on hard rights. I thought it was a bearing so I replaced that huge bearing on the control arm right rear side. That didn't stop the noise, now it makes sense that the LSD could be causing that noise, maybe the fluid has gotten low in the tranny, or is their an additive like some cars have to use with LSDs.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:13 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The friction-plates in your LSD is probably worn out. Nothing you can do except to replace it. Some people increase the spring tension to create more locked-diff action, but this causes more understeer coming out of corners.

These aren't exactly the most durable units. With about 100hp more than stock, I can actually completely wear one out during a single weekend of racing at a tight, tight course, like the Streets of Willow Springs.

Quick Reply: How do I tell if My Car has LSD or not?