944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 - Good engine class in northern NJ?

Old 01-24-2002, 11:20 AM
Goobu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 951 - Good engine class in northern NJ?

951 - Good engine class in northern NJ?

Hello all,

I just picked up my 951 from the shop for the 2nd time this year with another bill of over $2000. I would like to start doing some of this work myself bur have little to no experience under the hood (except for oil and brake pad changes).

I look to this board for some information on a class(es) (either at a college or tech school, or private) that I could take to help me get started. I have a friend who took an engine repair class a few years ago and it turned out to be a waste of time.

Any info would be great.
Thanks

Goobu
1986 Red 951
1997 Red 993S
Old 01-24-2002, 03:53 PM
rplencne
Instructor

The internal combustion engine has been around forever, so I'd suggest just getting a basic book on 4 cycle/water cooled engines and spend a few days reading. With the exception of the balance shafts (which just set there and spin) the Porsche water cooled motors are pretty basic. Once you get the basic theory down, read up on electronic fuel injection, and then finally do some reading on turbocharging. Every manufacturer implements the 4 cycle theory slightly different, so you can be sure you won't find a voc/tech school that focuses on the 944. But I'm sure if you take a class, they'll be able to answer general questions (and maybe some specific ones if you bring along some factory manuals).

I still remember the evening class at the local voc/tech school on basic auto mechanics. For the most part, it just supported the stuff that I had already been told/learned. The best part was being able to use their machine shop while I was rebuilding a '60 Rambler American Ahhh ... the days of the flathead ...

-Bob P.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:24 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Goobu,

Although not in your area, I recall reading past threads that Garrity (Rennlist username) has held quite entensive/involved classes. I thought he was in the St. Louis area. Search on Garrity and send him and E-mail.

Mike
Old 01-24-2002, 11:43 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey all, we have been considering putting together a series of "clinics" that would cover everything from engine assembly to routine maint. We just moved our shop into a larger facility and once we get settled, we could line up the whole thing. We already have a "donor" engine dyno to use.

Let me know if anyone would be interested and I will post more info here and to those that would like it directly.

Chris Prack
IMA Motorsport
Fairfax, VA www.imamotorsport.com
Old 01-25-2002, 01:45 AM
'86turbo
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Sounds like a great idea! Id be interested if I can find some free time. If you had summer session Id be there without a doubt. If you could elaborate on what you have in mind that would be great. Thanks.
Brian 86 951
Old 01-25-2002, 10:08 AM
Goobu
Intermediate

Depending on the schedule of the sessions I might be willing to take the trip from NJ.

Thanks,

Goobu
1986 Red 951
1997 Red 993S
Old 01-30-2002, 05:23 AM
Dug
AutoX

Thumbs up

Great idea. I'd certainly travel down from PA for it.
Old 01-30-2002, 03:54 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When we get all the details together I will post a thread with all the info. It will cover basics about the engine plus specifics for twin cam, turbo, perf. mods, etc.

We will also offer a separate clinic for the 911 guys as well.

Both of these could include suspension set up, brakes, saftey equip, etc. or these could be completely different programs. I guess it would depend on interest and avail. time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 951 - Good engine class in northern NJ?