Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

what is order to reseal oil pump to block, confused

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 11:31 PM
tecart
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post what is order to reseal oil pump to block, confused

well 3 times now and the oil pump is still leaking,its not sealing around 100% even after using loctite 574 as per the manuals, the porsche mechanic said the oil pump must go on before the bottom of the oil pan is bolted up and thats why its not sealing. is this true? what i did was put the oil pump on after the bottom pan was all bolted up, is that wrong? the porsche guy want 20 hours to take the oil pan off and seal the oil pump first then reinstall the pan, how did you guys do it, what order, is the 20 hours the real time it takes or are they just trying to rob me? i know the pump is leaking at the block for sure but can it be sealed without taking the oil pan off again? 10 hours is ok but 20 hours to do this again is that right? oh the car is a 1986 944 turbo
Old 01-23-2002, 11:42 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
I think the pump does go on before the pan. At least, that is the way I took it off.

To get the pan off, you need to drop the suspension. I can do the entire job in about 5 hours. 10 is probably a good number for a shop charge.

Did you do the rebuild or did the shop? If they did it, then they need to do it right for free.

If you did it, take a weekend and re-do it yourself to be sure you got it right.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:39 AM
tecart
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had a private shop do the job but they didnt put the pump in until the oil pan gasket was all bolted up, then tried 3X to just take the pump out(which he did with no problems) leaving the top and bottom pans attached, then tried to stuff the oil pump in the space, but i cant have them do it a 4th time cause their shop took too long to do this also i dont trust them to fix it , im at the end of my limits to this leak and its up to either me or the porsche shop to fix it for good, P.S. the porsche service advisor said they got to do take all the belts off again, drop the pan, drop the crossover pipe, then the oil pump, but 20 hours? another shop said 16 hours another said 18 hours, but this all comes down to what is the right way/order to do this procedure so it seals to the block?

Quick Reply: what is order to reseal oil pump to block, confused