Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bad Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 01:39 AM
BSnodgress
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bad Fuel Pump?

I noticed gas leaking from the back of my car, just inside the right rear tire, but only when the car was running. I pulled the covers off, couldnt figure out what it was, so I replaced the hoses, pump, and filter. Runs fine, doesnt leak, but when I give it full throttle it dies until I let off, then it comes back. Feels like I'm not getting any gas. It runs fine other than that. Any ideas?

Ben Snodgress
'86 951
Old 01-14-2002, 05:44 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure if I understand the problem... does it idle only, but when you step on the gas it cuts out? If so, then maybe the Air Flow Meter is unplugged or not working.

Does it run and drive normally until you really accelerate (WOT)? If so, then a flurry of other possibilities. The Throttle Position Sensor on the 951 is a potentiometer and has a WOT switch... could be this. If your into the boost and it's cutting off, then maybe something in the intake or exhaust path is awry. Too many to list until you can say more about the problem.

You're absolutely sure the pump and all other remove pieces are installed correctly? Correct pump, Check-Valve installed, Fuel Filter pointed in correct path...?

Last thought... since you just replaced the fuel pump, could be your on the edge of a Fuel Pressure Regulator failing... maybe this comes as a result of a possibly better flow rate from the new pump. If the fuel pressure gets too high, the injectors will cutout until pressure is okay again. Again, many possibilities.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Bad Fuel Pump?