Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Performance suggestions. Help!

Old 01-10-2002, 10:59 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Question Performance suggestions. Help!

I should have post it this here first...

After spending a few months reading a lot of the posts here I am humbled by the amount of knowledge that is shared in these forums and mostly by having a stock car

Since I will be replacing the rear main engine seal in a few weeks, along with the A-Arms and a few additional minor items, it seems like the perfect time to tackle additional performance upgrades. The stock exhaust is due for replacement (looks like crap, all rusted and the tip is full of holes); the transmission will be out, all the difficult to reach pipes will be out. So getting to the turbo will not be a major task.

So, here it goes, a few questions I wanted to ask but was afraid to tackle the work

My car is a 1987 Porsche 951 with LSD – WP0AA2950HN152385

1. I will need to change the exhaust in my car due to age and wear. SFR 3" Cat-back with 4" tip seems like the way to go. Do they offer an oval tip instead of the round tip?
2. I would like better performance and I am aware that turbos can use all the free flow exhaust they can get. My dilemma is that I will like to avoid harming the environment if at all possible. Is there a high-flow cat replacement or should I just stick with the factory part for now?
3. I will also like to improve the performance of my car without getting to radical. Bolt on items. What are my options? I just replace the air box in the car and would hate to have to throw it away… any mods that I can install that would not require the removal of the air box? Along the lines of a SFR level 1 or 2 Turbo upgrade. What else will be required with that Turbo upgrade (chips, wastegate, boost controllers,…). Is there such a thing as a kit? I had a Miata that I bought a greddy turbo kit for it… simple bolt on stuff with everything included, I ended adding a custom intercooler and boy could that car move… anyway back to the Porsche, I am looking along the lines of a kit that would include all that it is required and will leave my air box intact (I want to fell like I use the damn thing before I replace it, did I mentioned is new?).
4. What about the head gasket? How difficult for a DIY to remove the head and replace the gasket. No problems with it at this point but would like to replace it as a precaution.

Appreciate the help and suggestions!! Thanks.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:35 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

OK, I can understand that a lot of the setups out there are done on trial and error. But there is got to be someone who has done it and document it a complete setup... or is this information top secret?

What I am looking for is:

"You will need Turbo X, chip set Y, stock air flow sensor ok or not ok, etc..."

Something that will give the car a good improvment and keep it a sleeper (no major visual changes).
Old 01-10-2002, 03:53 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Jaime,
there's a bunch of ways to "skin the cat" and you'll read most of them here:Best way to 300rwhp

My two cents worth pivots around the stock airbox/airflow meter. If you want to keep it and the stock EMS then replace the exhaust (including the turbo "outlet/down" pipe with a true 3" system(not one necked down at the top of the cat replacement section to fit the stock "outlet/down" pipe. And only do that if you go to a big/fat turbo that would really benefit from a 3" outlet. Add a Lindsay boost enhancer and your pick of chips and you'll be rumblin' without any wastegate or boost control replacement and with the stock airbox and engine management system.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:04 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Russ, thank you, thank you, thank you... that is what I was looking for. I sent an email to SFR but have not heard from them, I will give them a call to order a few of these items.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2002, 11:39 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

OK, since I will not be removing the stock airflow sensor and air filter box I know I will sacrifice overall performance. But like I said… I just replace the air box and would like to keep it until it deteriorates somewhat…

Modifications to be done when all parts ordered arrive…

SFR 3" Cat-back with 4" tip (will only do this and later I will order the down pipe and test pipe with a high-flow cat)

SFR Level 2 turbo upgrade

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator (I just replace the one I had with a new unit… I hate to throw away money like that poor planning on my side, I was trying to tackel the hard starting problem...) )

Chip set

Some adapters, sensors to make it work with all the stock pipes and hoses.

The idea is that this will add some power and provide a good start if I want future upgrades (like MAF, boost control, more fuel, etc…).

The clutch is fairly new, so for now I will leave it as is. When the time comes to change it I will go with the recommendations here or lighter flywheel and Cup clutch or Centerforce (still not really convinced with CF, when I did my Miata I went through two CF clutches in less than three months…)

Koni adjustable yellows rear shocks are already in place.

Still waiting for the new A-arms.

I will install the new throttle switch this weekend.

Getting wife mentally ready for having the car back in the garage for a few weeks/months and checking that I have all the tools for the job (I should since I did the clutch two years ago…)

Regarding the head gasket… Going over the Haynes book and with the comments here it seems like a time consuming process… I will have to tackle the belts soon so maybe I should just get it done and fix the exhaust manifold leak in the process.
Old 01-11-2002, 03:35 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check out www.modernperformanceinc.com They make a MAF for us ($575).

Well they dont actually "make" it. lol. But PRO FLOW does. The same "PRO FLOW" unit is sold as the auto thority MAF.

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG

I have one and will post some dyno #'s as soon as I get a new 2nd gear.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:54 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Jamie

I guess you could say, I have a "kit", just that I purchased it all separately...

Seriously, your on the right track, call or email, Tim or John at SFR and they'll get you in the know as far as what you'll need.

There's a killer sale on their Stage One, turbo for $849.00 I think.
With that you get a temp sensor to replace the factory one, which will make the water circulation pump run a little longer.
Just mounted my turbo yesterday, and the quality is awesome. You can get #6 or #8 exaust housing (your choice) for the same price.
As far as the chips, get the cheapest ones you can find, if your adding a MAF with fuel mixture control, since all you need them for is to eliminate the overboost protection, and supply extra fuel at high revs.. I think all of them will add a few hundred revs to the limiter, or eliminated rev limiter.

Guess I'll be completing my "kit" soon with SFR Cat back system...

Terry
Old 01-12-2002, 12:09 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

I bought a stage one from SFR today. I went with the 54mm comp. wheel, stage 3 turbine and the #6 hot side.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:14 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

I bought a stage one from SFR today. I went with the 54mm comp. wheel, stage 3 turbine and the #6 hot side.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:56 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Luke, cool

I have specific pics of what it looks like on the car, if your interested, to look at before yours arrives. 944t@bellsouth.net

Get the o rings for the pedestal and the supply line to the center section as they are not supplied.

prt #s-999 707 043 40 (oil supply line) and 900 174 058 40 (mounting pedestal for oil drainback)

Terry
Old 01-13-2002, 08:07 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Thanks Terry!

The items in the last post I made was what I ordered...

I went with the Stage 2 Turbo with stage 3 turbine and the #8 hot side.

Thanks for the info on the additional parts required.

I hope to take care of this in the next three weeks. I got a call that my dad had a heart attack and I am taking two weeks off to spend time with him and do some needed work in his house to make it a little bit better...
Old 01-13-2002, 08:14 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Jaime Diaz:
<STRONG> I got a call that my dad had a heart attack and I am taking two weeks off to spend time with him and do some needed work in his house to make it a little bit better...</STRONG>
Ohhh! sorry guy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Performance suggestions. Help!