Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 07:03 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Post Help won't start.

Well I just completed putting everything back together on my 200k my track car. I replaced the head gasket, oil cooler seals, and put on a new B&B exhaust manifold. However I have the transmission out of the car. The car is getting fuel but no spark. I have no idea why either? There is no spark at the coil. Looking for ideas.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2002, 09:18 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Have you check the speed sensors? Similar situation happened to me and it was the sensors. Car would crank like crazy but did not start. I even left a spacer required off one and the flywheel broke it off. Expensive items to replace at 70-100 a piece.

How about some words on the B&B exhaust manifolds... my car has an exhaust leak that I believe is a crack exhaust manifold. Are the B&B's a bolt on or a lot of work to put in? Any design advantages to the factory parts?

Hope you find the culprit soon.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:53 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Where are the speed sensors located? I did not pull the engine out of the car.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2002, 11:57 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Man, I feel for you Dan

It took me 3 weeks to track down my problem, look at the No Spark? thread, a lot of good info.

My problem was a bad DME, hope yours is not that bad.

Good Luck
Old 01-10-2002, 02:30 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Speed sensors are located on top of the clutch housing, they take the reading from the flywheel and a marker.

I will try to find a diagram. The conectors are in the middle, towards the back of the engine bay (closer to the windshield). The actual sensors are secured to the cluth housing. I will post a diagram to make it easier to explain.

Do check the DME. First check the connections and make sure there clean. Some folks have had oxidation in the conectors. Also, tap it (the DME) and try to start the car. If by taping the DME the car starts you have a cracked solder in one of the components (easy to repair). If you have access to another DME you can try swaping units for a quick check.

Also check the distributor cap (if you still using one) and rotor. I had a problem once were I could not find the problem and it ended up being a loose rotor.

Good luck...
Old 01-10-2002, 04:04 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

So far I have changed the DME with my other 951 still no spark. I tried reversing the plugs behind the intake manifold (speed/reference sensors?) I'm checking the spark straight from the coil, in other words I stuck a spark plug where the coil wire plugs into the center of the distributor and still no spark. However I did find a problem after much investgation. There is a loom of 3 wires to the oil pressure sending unit, two of these wires connect to the oil pressure sending unit but there is this yellow wire that I have no idea where it goes? Any ideas?
Old 01-10-2002, 05:59 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Could I run the coil directly to the battery with a toggle switch just to make sure the engine runs?
Old 01-10-2002, 10:29 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Update: I HAVE SPARK!! YEAH!! But it won't fire up. It turns out it was my DME that was bad, for kicks I switched out the dme again and it started to crank and fire. Here's my new problem when cranking the car it wants to start but just doesn't quite make it. It back fires like crazy in the process of starting it. Any ideas?

Thanks
Dan

Quick Reply: Help won't start.