Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Has this turbo gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 04:33 PM
GaryK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a new T04E-46 from TEC that uses their custom hot housing. There is no visible smoke from the tailpipe, but the car uses as much oil as it did with my old K27 and the intercooler pipes are full of it. I run 15psi boost and on the track the car uses 1/3qt of Valvoline Syntec 20W-50 per 20 min session. I tried 50wt non-synthetic race oil and consumption was the same. Other than the oil usage, the car runs great.

I tried a catch can for the crankcase vent, but there was very little oil collected in it unless the oil was filled over the max mark on the dipstick. But the dipstick was blowing out on the track, so I assumed the crankcase wasn't venting sufficiently, that there was a danger of blowing engine seals, and removed the catch can.

I talked to TEC about the oil consumption and they tried to convince me the problem is the rings and/or poor crankcase ventilation. They claimed the oil through the turbo seals is merely a symptom. I really don't buy this, but they didn't offer to rework the turbo even if I had the patience to pull it.

And yes you need to check the radial play after oil has flowed through the turbo. Mine does not feel excessive.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:05 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
My 951 has a turbonetics bb turbo that lets some oil by on the exhaust sleeve bearing. It only happens sometimes when idling after a hard run. I have spoken to some reputable people and was told there are 2 reasons for this. First was that the 951 has a very high oil pressure 5bar verses other vehicals. Second reason was that turbonetics bearing are more free floating than kkk's. For less friction.
I have done the lateral movement test on my turbo and it's tight.
Maybe a true bb turbo wouldn't have this problem of oil getting by. Or maybe we could install a restrictor on the oil supply line to lower the oil pressure like the ones used when you do a balance shaft delete kit.
Don't get me wrong i love this turbo. Oil consumption is very low.
I dough that the turbo engineers would make a turbo just for our cars needs. So we will just have to live with it or stick to stock. I'll live with it.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:04 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Finished removing my turbo tonight, had to grind off the bolt head that is right by the steering joint.

The compressor wheel has enough play to touch the housing, so back to Majestic it goes.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:15 AM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
David,

Sorry to hear about your turbo problems after all the work you have invested in that car. I also have a Huntley Garrett turbo (stage 2) and have continued to see high oil consumption under boost. I have successfully vented my crankcase with a check valve and K & N filter instead of the oil fill cap(search my old posts). I also believe you need to keep the connection of the stock crankcase breather to the intake to help create a crankcase vacuum under boost. I experimented with dissconnecting that line before which resulted in blowing my oil dipstick out and blowing my cam-housing gasket. I would like to hear from the tuners about the idea of restricting the oil flow to the turbo to decrease blow by through the turbo. I would hate to fry my turbo from too little oil.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:40 PM
GaryK
Racer

I considered adding a restrictor in the oil feed line, but TEC advised me against it. It is common practice on 930's though.
I tried the sump pump check valve on the oil filler cap like you have David, but oil came out and made a mess. Maybe I really have a crankcase vent/piston ring issue as TEC says.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:55 PM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Gary,

Did you place a K&N filter on top of the check valve to catch any oil. I have not had a drop come through the filter after many months.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:10 PM
GaryK
Racer

David S. - I put foam filter material in the check valve, but the oil blew right through it.
Come to think of it, that was with the catch can installed. Now that the can is gone and the crankcase vented back to the turbo inlet, I think I'll try the check valve on the oil filler again.

David F. - The Allen head bolts holding the turbo to the motor mount are a real PITA. The heads strip quite easily. I replaced mine with some harder - 12.9 vs 8.8 - bolts from a local fastener supply shop, coated them with anti-seize, and torqued them to only 15ft-lbs. Good luck!
Old 04-02-2003, 04:34 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by GaryK:
<strong>I replaced mine with some harder - 12.9 vs 8.8 - bolts from a local fastener supply shop, coated them with anti-seize, and torqued them to only 15ft-lbs.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Great idea. Porsche uses 8 grade on the CV's too...for guys with tons of power shearing those right off, some 12 grade would be nice to have there as well!

Quick Reply: Has this turbo gone bad?