Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Oil Leak Looks Like from Oil Pan after Installing Lindsey BE?? (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/637356-oil-leak-looks-like-from-oil-pan-after-installing-lindsey-be.html)

AZ968Cab 06-04-2011 09:40 PM

Oil Leak Looks Like from Oil Pan after Installing Lindsey BE??

Bought a Lindsey BE and adjusted it a little (no more than a turn and a half @ 1 lb per turn from what I've seen...). Now I have an oil leak and it's pretty considerable. It has to be related as had NO leaks prior.

Looks to be dripping from the area of the passenger side of the oil pan, it's definately oil, not PS fluid. Pissed at myself and wife's no too happy w/me either...:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

Any ideas on what it could be and co$t?

supes6 06-04-2011 10:53 PM

Probably still on the original gasket.. low miles but its still 25 year old rubber. I just did mine, not a fun job..

Black51 06-04-2011 11:02 PM

Boost is vacuum related though... I can't see how installing a boost enhancer has caused an oil leak.

I'd bet your cam gasket is blown, especially given you say it's on the passenger side. Easy fix.

AZ968Cab 06-04-2011 11:10 PM

Here's hoping....!! How many hours by the book, any idea?

Jfrahm 06-04-2011 11:12 PM

Do you have a turbocharged car? How many miles? Condition? Leakdown?

If you crank up the boost, you get more heat, crankcase pressure, potential for detonation, etc. Yes that can cause oil leaks.

-Joel.

AZ968Cab 06-04-2011 11:28 PM

Yes, '87 951, BONE stock until I added the LBE. 34K original miles, not to brag at ALL but could easily concourse after cleaning Michigan dust out of the vents. #5 of the 944/968 that took 2 years to find and 6 months to buy.

Warning*****First Turbo******Warning

Garage queen that was started every week or so in the winter.

Black51 06-05-2011 12:05 AM

Then I'd bet you've got more than one gasket leaking. Old rubber gaskets that don't get used for years will leak. The odd startup doesn't count unfortunately for fighting against that.

Mighty Shilling 06-05-2011 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Black51 (Post 8612381)
Easy fix.

LIES AND SLANDER! In the process now. Not a fan

Mighty Shilling 06-05-2011 01:04 AM

Eh... after 2 days of wrenching I thought you were saying the oil pan gasket is an easy fix. My bad. Ya cam gasket is easy. Oil pan gasket, not so much

Bri Bro 06-05-2011 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Black51 (Post 8612381)
Boost is vacuum related though... I can't see how installing a boost enhancer has caused an oil leak.

I'd bet your cam gasket is blown, especially given you say it's on the passenger side. Easy fix.

1+ That is a thin cork gasket that will drain down to the side of the oil pan and is know to leak. Cheap and easy to fix. You have to clean the engine and see were the oil is coming from. All oil leaks make there way to the pan since is at the bottom of the engine. Look to see if there is a trail of oil above the pan.

Bri Bro 06-05-2011 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924 (Post 8612559)
LIES AND SLANDER! In the process now. Not a fan

I think he was referring to the rear cam seal, no the oil pan seal. The oil pan gasket is a pain to replace. The rear cam seal is easy to replace, just a bit hard to get at.

Jfrahm 06-05-2011 10:36 AM

More boost is going to make for more leakdown and crankcase pressure. Also will likely lead to more full-throttle operation, hotter oil temps, etc. Given the low mileage you might have a lot of dried out gaskets.

Also make sure your crankcase is venting properly. You can put a boost/vac gauge on your dipstick tube to check this.