Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Need help white/gray smoke... but only with 3" cat-less exhaust (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/635473-need-help-white-gray-smoke-but-only-with-3-cat-less-exhaust.html)

944hal 05-27-2011 07:06 PM

See if you can see the Turbo Exhaust pipe. Either from above or below. You might be able to see oil seeping down the pipe or around the gasket. I had a similar problem and it was the rear seals in the turbo.

C ANDERSON 05-28-2011 09:47 AM

The splitter is from Texas Performance , He usually has them on E-BAY or look Texas Performance on line. He does a real nice glass job and sends with brackets to mount at the rear and the holes are pr-drillled .

Clifton

Clown 05-28-2011 09:27 PM

Well I don't know what happened but took car out for drive yesterday and allmost immediately major smoke began pouring out the exhaust. I could also see it when I drove the car and not just at idle. It was quite embarrassing and I felt like I was laying down a smoke screen like in that old game Spyhunter! I have been afraid to take it out since. I think there is just too much smoke for it to be coming from the turbo alone. I think the head must be blown. What u guys think? I just put a brand new headset on before putting engine in car but fear I may have over torque the bolts or folded the cylinders with fuel trying to get the car started after I put engine in. I do remember hearing a loud bang or backfire sound upon finally getting the engine started...thanks for the info on the front splinter I will check him out. Think i saw him on eBay but then he was no longer listing them....

Clown 05-28-2011 09:31 PM

Headset = headgasket

Folded = flooded

Sorry stupid auto correct on phone.

C ANDERSON 05-29-2011 12:54 AM

Check the inlet pipe to the throttle body to see if it is the cool side. if it's the turbo on the hot side will be hard to find. If its the hot side will most likely not smoke untill warmed up. is it consuming water or oil ?

Clown 05-29-2011 08:53 AM

Does not appear to be consuming either, water or coolant, then again I just have not driven it enough to tell. I might drain the oil to see if it mixing. Coolant looks good no milkshake mixture that I can tell.

elargentino 05-29-2011 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Clown (Post 8594360)
Does not appear to be consuming either, water or coolant, then again I just have not driven it enough to tell. I might drain the oil to see if it mixing. Coolant looks good no milkshake mixture that I can tell.

Don't drain the oil, pull the dipstick and look at the bottom first.

Clown 05-29-2011 02:31 PM

Oil on the dipstick looks very clean. I know this engine originally had coolant mixing into the oil but I replaced the headgasket and oil cooler seals before putting it into my car. Hope there is not a crack in the head or case.

944V8inDFW 05-29-2011 02:34 PM

Sounds like turbo seals.

Any idea the shape or mileage on the turbo when you rebuilt the engine?

Clown 05-29-2011 03:45 PM

No I have no Idea how many miles were on the turbo. It is a Garret hybrid turbo I picked up used. No shaft play and it looked very clean. I even took both housings off and did not see any problems although I admit I am not really sure what it should look like inside. Could turbo seals leaking oil really give off that much smoke? The last time I took the car out it was smoking quite a bit...I felt bad for the guy behind me who had his window down at the stop light...!

Clown 05-29-2011 06:38 PM

New development: I just started the car in the garage it has been 48 hrs since I pulled the car in on Friday with it smoking out of control. Upon starting the car, cold, I noticed droplets of fluid coming out of the tailpipe and hitting my lawn tractor which is parked behind the car. After hitting the tractor it ran down the tractor tire and formed a puddle of liquid. This liquid had a green tint and I think it is safe to say that it is coolant coming out the tail pipe?? I picked it up in my hands and it did not have a strong odor eitehr way but I am leaning towards coolant and not fuel. Well I let it run for 10 minutes and it never smoked one time. The car did reach normal operating temps because the radiator fan turned on. How could water or coolant be entering the exhaust?? I am now thinking the exhaust burns the water/coolante in the exhaust when it become really hot and maybe steams? What you guys think?

SirLapsalot 05-29-2011 07:04 PM

Yea sounds like you are burning coolant for sure. Sounds like blown head gasket or crack in block. Taste some of the liquid then taste your coolant and compare. Coolant is very bad to consume though so just lick your fingers don't drink any!

Clown 05-29-2011 10:44 PM

Well I just took the car out again around the block and it is smoking again like crazy. I am tired of working on this thing after 3 months of putting it together and just got it registered now this. I am not looking forward to replaceing the headgasket with the engine in the car this time!!

944V8inDFW 05-29-2011 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Clown (Post 8595847)
Well I just took the car out again around the block and it is smoking again like crazy. I am tired of working on this thing after 3 months of putting it together and just got it registered now this. I am not looking forward to replaceing the headgasket with the engine in the car this time!!

When you did the head gasket last time did you check the head for flatness?

If you do repair it again i would suggest having the head both checked for flatness and pressure tested for leaks. Most automotive machine shops will do it for about an hours worth of labor. Well worth it for a engine that has blown one maybe two headgaskets.

Clown 05-29-2011 11:49 PM

No I did not have the head checked before I put it on and the gasket looked wet but no breaks in metal when I took the head off the engine last time. I think I might have over torqued the bolts down this time. I figured that the oil cooler seals were the culprit last time since the coolant was in the oil. I have a spare head maybe just use that one this time just as added security.