Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Car Wash Knockeded Out the Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:42 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lart951
there is no need to spend money in a new unit, that link that I sent you is my choice of excellence out of all ebay sellers, I have know the guy for almost all my life, so yes he is reliable plus his used parts are guarantee
Old 05-11-2011, 10:43 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try tapping on the injectors. They have a tendency of getting stuck.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:19 PM
ali4
Rennlist Member

Sid I tried that already gave them a shake to make sure nothing was loose around there. Still nothing.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The alternator charges the battery on the trip before the car died. It doesn't do anything while you're cranking. The car will start with the alt belt off.....or the alternator for that matter.

As for shaking the injectors, I could see one getting stuck, but not 3 or 4 at once outside of the car wash.

Are the plugs wet? Is there any fuel smell in the exhaust while you're cranking?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:32 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I can get the time I'll reread this whole thing and see if anything pops into my head. But to start, if you are sure you are getting spark out of the plugs, firing order is correct, compression is ok. Then it is narrowed down to injectors. The way they work is a constant 12 v is sent and they are grounded through the dme, iirc they are pins 12&13. I had once had a problem where the injector harness was bad and they would short and the car would die. I tried cranking it forever and just by chance I tried grounding one side of an Induvidual injector and it fired up. The only thing I can think of is that the dme became out of sync. You could try this by pulling one of tge coonectors off check which side has 12 and temporarily ground the other.
Again I'll re read later.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:11 PM
ali4
Rennlist Member

Tedro I dont know if the plugs are wet. When I get home I will remove the spark plugs to see if they have fouled. I THINK there may have been a bit of a funny burning fuel smell last night while I was cranking. My entire garage smells right now due to a fuel spill so I will check again today and pay attention for a smell.

I will also try to jump start my car with my other car to see if that gets it on... What about spraying it with that choke spray to get it to turn on?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

If it cranks good and fast, it probably doesn't need jumped. I'm not a big fan of starting fluid, except when its below zero, on diesels. It would confirm the lack of fuel, though.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:10 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

but you can always try this on your ignition wires

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=17
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ali, your original issue, before you started this thread, was a dead battery. That's why it wouldn't even crank. So, why was the battery dead? The alt charges the battery when the car is running. How much voltage is the battery holding by itself? If you don't know that answer, you likely still have the original problem. You've jumped 20 steps without ever nailing down the very first issue.
Trouble shooting has to be deliberate and methodical. Until you are absolutely certain that you have eliminated the electrical system, you have no way of knowing if you actually have a fuel problem.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 PM
ali4
Rennlist Member

Ehall - I am in the garage as I type this.
1- The battery has 12.15v
2- Now I just tried to crank the car and it will not crank it just makes a clicking sound as if the battery is dead, I just rechecked the volt after 3 key turns and it reads 11.51v.
3- Checked again after typing #3 and it is now 11.87v.
4- I just jumped the DME Relay and the fuel pump is barely running but I hear it a little. The battery is now at 7.1v and keeps dropping every few seconds, now at 6.66v
5- I pulled the jumper out and the turbo cooling pump turns on the battery is at 8v and keeps rising to 9.99v by the time the turbo cooling pump turns off.
6- Finished writing #5 and checked the volts its at 11.35v and slowly rising.
7- After 60 seconds the battery is at 11.66v and still slowly rising.

About 40 minutes ago I also checked the exhaust for fuel smell after several cranks and there is no smell. I also pulled the spark plug closest to the front of the car along with its cable, the spark plug is slightly black on the top nothing major and the spark plug is sparking, also the cable is sparking. I also tried to jump start the car using my other car, and it cranks but will not turn on.

8- A few minutes have past and the battery is at 11.95v and rising.

I
Old 05-11-2011, 09:52 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Your battery is low. It has enough to activate accesories, but doesn't have enough cranking amps to start the car. Why is the battery low? That's what you need to find out? Why isn't it getting charged, when the car is running?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:08 PM
ali4
Rennlist Member

So if I plug in a brand new battery by your theory the car should start? It may not run long because your saying the alternator is not charging it once the car is on. Am I following you correctly?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:22 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, I would pull your battery and have it tested, then fully charged. Then, if you put it back in and try to start the car, and all you get is a click, and the tach bounces, it's time to pull the starter and check it out. The alt runs the electrical systems and re-charges the battery, when the car engine is running. So far, all we know for certain is that the battery is a bit low and you are only hearing a click when you try to start the car. That is ALL the real info that we have and can count on right now.
The hot lead to the starter, the actual terminal ends, on that lead, can also cause this problem, BUT, we KNOW that the battery is a bit low. You really want 13 volts or better. When I had mine tested it was at 13.5. It wouldn't start the car under 12 and would only crank a time or two at just above 12 volts. I had it charged at Advance Auto Parts for an hour and a half, for free. It retested great. My alt was bad.

The fact that you are only getting a clicking sound means taht the battery is too low/ there is a problem with the starter/solenoid, or lines in between.
Once it cranks well, but doesn't turn over, then start looking for spark followed by fuel.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Shiboboo
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ehall
Well, I would pull your battery and have it tested, then fully charged. Then, if you put it back in and try to start the car, and all you get is a click, and the tach bounces, it's time to pull the starter and check it out. The alt runs the electrical systems and re-charges the battery, when the car engine is running. So far, all we know for certain is that the battery is a bit low and you are only hearing a click when you try to start the car. That is ALL the real info that we have and can count on right now.
The hot lead to the starter, the actual terminal ends, on that lead, can also cause this problem, BUT, we KNOW that the battery is a bit low. You really want 13 volts or better. When I had mine tested it was at 13.5. It wouldn't start the car under 12 and would only crank a time or two at just above 12 volts. I had it charged at Advance Auto Parts for an hour and a half, for free. It retested great. My alt was bad.

The fact that you are only getting a clicking sound means taht the battery is too low/ there is a problem with the starter/solenoid, or lines in between.
Once it cranks well, but doesn't turn over, then start looking for spark followed by fuel.
Ehall is right on. You say the battery started at 12.15 volts. At that voltage level, you're starting with a battery that has less than 50% of it's charge capacity. It does not have the amps in it to start the car.

First off, you need charge the battery that you ran down (and hope it holds it). Alternatively, you could get a new battery. Once you pinpoint that your battery is good, you can check that off your list.

How things go when you have a known good battery will determine your next troubleshoot steps. If it still doesn't start, then you move onto your starter, starter wiring, etc. If you get it started with the new (or charged and good battery), but it runs down, then you move on to the charging system and why it's not recharging the battery.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:43 PM
ali4
Rennlist Member

Okay sounds like a plan.
I will take the battery out tomorrow to get it charged and tested.
You said "Once it cranks well, but doesn't turn over, then start looking for spark followed by fuel." Yesterday it cranked very well, I thought it would turn on but didn't. This was after I charged the battery for a few hours. So it did crank well.... yesterday. I might even see if I can borrow a battery from my friends 951.

Quick Reply: Car Wash Knockeded Out the Car