Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Upgrade parts one step at a time. (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/63027-upgrade-parts-one-step-at-a-time.html)

Dan87951 12-18-2001 06:41 PM

Upgrade parts one step at a time.

As you all probably know I purchased a beautiful 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo with 42k miles on it in August because my first 951 blew the oil cooler seals. Well I been driving this stock 87 for about a good 4 months now. And over the months I have been taking the parts off my other 951 and installing them on this car just to see if each part really does add more power.

HR Chips + MBC
I first installed the Huntley Racing Chips and manual boost controller set at 15psi. These chips sure do what they claim. Over all seat of the paints feel was good, boost was coming on sooner (full boost around 3600rpms), every gear shift would hit harder. Life was good!

HR Stage 3 MAF
Couple of weeks later I decided to install the Huntley Racing Stage 3 MAF on the car. Directions were easy to follow and over install took about 2 hours. I got in the car started tuning everything to the best of my ability. It's kind of like guess work till you see the dyno but I felt this was as close as I could get it. I had forgotten what an awesome sound the MAF system made. Just because of this I had to drive with the window down while I was making my comparison of different parts. :) Anyways car response was improved, car would accelerate even stronger, top end acceleration was greatly improved, and full boost was now coming on even sooner around 3400rpms(WOW). Now remember with the chips full boost was coming on around 3600rpms. To me yes the MAF was worth the money. Even the overall fun factor of the car was improved because of the awesome sound.

HR 3" Testpipe:
Well last night I just finished the install of my Huntley Racing 3" testpipe. Install wasn't to bad, actually probably would have been pretty easy if it wasn’t for those 4 motherJG^%%* bolts in the back I had to cut off. I felt the Bursch pipe was easier to line up and install then the HR 3" pipe, but I expected that from a bigger pipe.
Anyways wow what a difference the 3" pipe made (my cat had to have been clogged?). Full boost is now reached close to 3200rpms-3300rpms. Overall cars acceleration was greatly improved. I could chirp the tires every time I hit 4th gear, and I have 245/45/16s RE730 tires on the rear. Seat of the paints feel was a definite power increase now doubt about it. The 3" testpipe made a huge difference in the way the car runs. The car seems to run smoother, and I think my gas mileage has improved, but can't confirm that just yet. Overall the $499+$23 shipping I spent was worth the price. Only wish I would have installed this part on the car sooner.

Conclusion
To me the series of parts installed made a great improvment in the way the car drives. I could not be more happier. I feel every part I installed was well worth the money and if I could do it all over again, I would install these exact same parts.

951and944S 12-19-2001 12:54 AM

Dan, your email listed on the parts for sale keeps getting sent back.. I tried another address I found for you, same error. Contact me at 944t@bellsouth.net if you still have the HR chips for sale..

951and944S 12-19-2001 01:45 AM

I got your email, but I tried replying to the one you sent and it gets returned.. Do you have an ICQ # or instant messaging of any kind...?

Terry