Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Please help solving a boost problem (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/63018-please-help-solving-a-boost-problem.html)

ian 12-18-2001 09:46 AM

Please help solving a boost problem

I went to the track this weekend and noticed a few things about the boost that my car would produce, or rather the lack of it. When cold the call will produce .8 bar of boost, but then as it gets warm it goes down to about .1 or .2 and the car produces no power.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this. Our best guess was that the wastegate is going bad on me, but truthfully I have no idea.

Luke 12-18-2001 03:14 PM

I dont see how temperature would affect your wastegate but I think a punctured diaphragm is the norm.. With a punctured diaphragm you'd have WAY too much boost though. I have no idea guy.

keith 12-18-2001 04:09 PM

Sounds like the KLR is going into limp-home mode. Does it go full boost again if you turn it off and recrank it? Get a blink-code from the test socket and let's go from there...

ian 12-18-2001 05:12 PM

keith,

It does not go back to full boost if you turn if off and recrank it, i drove the car home from the track last night in the rain, and by the time I got back to Winston-Salem from Charlotte I was getting 1.8 bar again.

How do I get the blink code from the KLR socket?

Luke,

The rational behind the wastegate was that it could be stuck open once it gets warm.

Thanks for the help so far, hopefully we can narrow this down so i'm not chasing 1000 leads.

951Racer 12-18-2001 10:43 PM

When it comes to boost problems there are really only a few areas to look if you are running the stock computer.
Wastegate - with the car cold at idle, hold onto the bypass pipe. If it is hot, your valve is stuck open
Blow off valve - take it off and blow into it, if you can you have a leak. You can do more testing here with a hand held pressure tool.
Cyclic valve - you need the pressure tool again to test whether it is operating properly
Intercooler pipes - One of the intercooler pipe connections has a hole in it. This is pretty common on older 951s if they have not been replaced. Take them off and inspect them closely.

951Racer 12-18-2001 10:45 PM

Sorry, on the intercooler pipes I actually meant the rubber connectors, not the pipes themselves.

Danno 12-19-2001 03:09 AM

How do I get the blink code from the KLR socket?
I've got a procedure on my website at 951 RacerX website

Also check for ripped or leaking intake hoses. The one coming out of the turbo is a common one that rips on the backside where you can't see it. Also check all the hose-clamps for looseness. Sometimes there's a rip parallel to or underneath the hose-clamp that you can't see.

keith 12-19-2001 05:24 PM

Ian - sorry forgot about this thread!

Dannos given you the socket info, but the "when warm" condition makes me think it's not a ripped hose. Do you have a buddy you could swap KLRs with for a few runs?