Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   What RUF wheels are these? (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/629903-what-ruf-wheels-are-these.html)

hevquip 04-26-2011 12:16 PM

What RUF wheels are these?

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, first off...for all I know, you might be able to slap RUF center caps on some wheels and paint/chrome everything to match, so I ask if these are genuine RUF wheels to begin with (Or I guess I mean "genuine" in the sense that they are from a wheel company that RUF sourced)? Second, they are on an '86 951 I've got sitting around and there are no spacers for these wheels, they fit pretty much perfectly, so therefore the wheels must be early offset. And third, the wheels are 17" tall, front tires are 215's, rears are 245's, so I'm going to guess 7" and 9" wide wheels. I have never seen wheels like these, much less as a supposed set of RUF wheels, anyone know anything about these rims?

User 52121 04-26-2011 12:35 PM

No idea but those sure would look purdy on a black 951...

hevquip 04-26-2011 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by OmniGLH (Post 8503158)
No idea but those sure would look purdy on a black 951...

Hey, that just happens to be the color of my 2.8 that is also rolling on 17's...

...though I don't know if I could put as wide as tires on the rims as I would like. I'm also at a toss up as to whether or not I keep them because if they are RUF wheels, I speculate I could get a pretty penny for them, but they'd also look sick on my car...

Techno Duck 04-26-2011 12:46 PM

The wheels are made by Speedline but were used by RUF. Not sure how to tell if they are real or not but post up in the 930 forum.. they like these wheels alot :D.

hevquip 04-26-2011 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Techno Duck (Post 8503199)
The wheels are made by Speedline but were used by RUF. Not sure how to tell if they are real or not but post up in the 930 forum.. they like these wheels alot :D.

Yeah, I was going to jump over to a 911 forum of some sort to see if they can verify how genuine they are and I'm mostly trying to figure out what year these came out or how common they might be amongst RUF wheels. Has RUF ever manufactured their own wheels, or are they all sourced from Speedline and the one other company (or however many companies, but I recall RUF sourcing wheels from very few...)

User 52121 04-26-2011 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by hevquip (Post 8503170)
Hey, that just happens to be the color of my 2.8 that is also rolling on 17's...

...though I don't know if I could put as wide as tires on the rims as I would like. I'm also at a toss up as to whether or not I keep them because if they are RUF wheels, I speculate I could get a pretty penny for them, but they'd also look sick on my car...

My car also happens to be black. And I would love to get rid of the 16" phone dials (that I use for daily-driving... my CCW's are track only) for something much cooler looking.

I can give you a VERY pretty penny for them. I'll find the best penny in my pocket and personally hand polish it. It will be the prettiest penny you've ever seen. Deal?

hevquip 04-26-2011 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by OmniGLH (Post 8503379)
My car also happens to be black. And I would love to get rid of the 16" phone dials (that I use for daily-driving... my CCW's are track only) for something much cooler looking.

I can give you a VERY pretty penny for them. I'll find the best penny in my pocket and personally hand polish it. It will be the prettiest penny you've ever seen. Deal?

They're all pretty to me, Abe Lincoln is obviously a total babe.

Anyway, I'll keep you in the back of my mind...assuming I don't find out that these are like, the coolest and most prized RUF wheels ever or something and that I'd be a fool if I ever parted with them :D

(or maybe I just don't want people driving around with cooler rims than me :p)

chrenan 04-26-2011 03:02 PM

Those are fake and worthless. I'll take them as a favour to you. :)

reno808 04-26-2011 03:39 PM

those came on the ruf 930. search yellow bird they should come up. they never came chrome.

hevquip 04-26-2011 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by reno808 (Post 8503717)
those came on the ruf 930. search yellow bird they should come up. they never came chrome.

Comparing between pics of mine and the Yellowbird, they do appear to be the same rims. Are they considered "f@#$%ed up" now because of the chrome? I assume people would want "untainted" RUF wheels. I looked at the Carfax awhile back and the car spent time in Miami, so I'm guessing that's when the flashy rims (or flashy chrome) got added...

reno808 04-26-2011 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by hevquip (Post 8503946)
Comparing between pics of mine and the Yellowbird, they do appear to be the same rims. Are they considered "f@#$%ed up" now because of the chrome? I assume people would want "untainted" RUF wheels. I looked at the Carfax awhile back and the car spent time in Miami, so I'm guessing that's when the flashy rims (or flashy chrome) got added...

lol yup thats prob wut happened. Check to see for a part# believe its a 930.#. U can always take the chrome off i guess and restore them

hevquip 04-26-2011 07:07 PM

I am going to have to look for a part number because someone on the 930 board noticed how the area around my valve stem is cut out and the valve is recessed, while it is not like that on the RUF wheels I was shown a pic of.

alxdgr8 04-26-2011 08:47 PM

Here's what Josh B's chrome RUF's look like: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-part-out.html

And Darwin's RUF's
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...t/100_1836.jpg

They sure don't look right with the valve stem recessed.

alxdgr8 04-26-2011 08:49 PM

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/uplo...1120858994.jpg

951Saga 04-26-2011 09:18 PM

Looks like the stem recess is for the more narrow front wheels. Also notice the wheel specs cast around the center section diameter.

RUF wheels for 930 turbo