Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Difficulty to install/replace downpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 11:04 AM
Doc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kieth,

If you consider an aftermarket muffler, which attaches to the cat-back pipe, then I would say yes. Or if you were considering the pipe that comes directly off the turbo, (turbo exhaust) again... you would be correct. However if you are doing as simple test pipe and exhaust, the Porsche factory set up essentially comes in two long pieces. From the turbo exhaust pipe back, it's only the cat pipe in one piece and the cat back and muffler in another piece.
Old 12-17-2001, 11:31 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the original question was about the pipe directly attached to the turbo, approx 11" long or so...

not an easy access item.
Old 12-17-2001, 04:52 PM
Doc
Racer

Maybe.. but there's no reason to mess with it if you are doing a test pipe and aftermarket exhaust.
Old 12-17-2001, 07:49 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Well, there is if you want it to match up with your new 3" downpipe/cat replacement.
Old 12-18-2001, 04:41 PM
Doc
Racer

In my humble opinion, it's not worth it to go with 3 inch pipe. Because YES then you WILL have to change that "down pipe" which pretty much is a BITCH! AND without an upgraded turbo, it's kinda pointless. Now you've just taken a $600 30 minuet testpipe and aftermarket exhaust job and turned it into a MAJOR $2500 turbo and exhaust change that is likely to take an entire weekend.

Which is likely to also require another $1500+ MAF to go with that turbo. Now where fast approaching $5000. While yes it is a significant upgrade that can get you 350+ hp, I dont' think that's what he was originally talkning about.

If you don't change the turbo, then you have to get a custom fitted down pipe that will work with the stock turbo (which is still a bitch to install) and if you DO upgrade the turbo later, you have to through that down pipe out and buy a whole new one.

A 3 inch pipe is too much BS for too little gain (over the stock 2.5 inch pipe) in my "humble" opinion.
Old 12-18-2001, 06:24 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Doc,
Great point about the hassle and not much point in 3" without a fatter turbo. It's
definitely silly to do a 3" cat replacement
without replacing the downpipe. Adrial, look at the picture of a 3" cat replacement to fit the stock downpipe on Speed Force Racing's web site
SFR

Quick Reply: Difficulty to install/replace downpipe?