Notices

Boost and octane

Old 12-13-2001, 04:06 PM
Danno
Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope you're not getting your DME switch settings from the 944FAQ, which is totally bogus. Here's the real chart for a 944:
http://BonnevilleMotorWerks.com/fqs.html
Old 12-13-2001, 05:13 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Danno,,

That's where I printed the page from, the link that you posted. You may have been the one that posted it a couple of weeks ago.

I'm going to be installing a new LR stage II head after the first of the year. I'm also going to get, new injectors, a new turbo,,just can't decide if I'll get the Kokeln or the Garrett. John Milledge just made me a price on a very high performance "S" turbo but I have to find a core first.

Just wondering with everyone out there that has upgraded, air flow, chips, injectors, ,,,,,oh well that can be another thread after the first of the year.
Old 12-13-2001, 05:24 PM
Russ Murphy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Holy Moy Danno!
Thanks for the tip! 3% less fuel is not what
I'm after. Curious how/why the throttle response was actually better than at the +3%
setting.
Old 12-13-2001, 10:25 PM
Danno
Super User

Russ, what kind of mods do you have in your car? Perhaps your car was running too rich, and leaning it out 3% gave you the optimum mixture.

The Autothority Stage2 chips are notorius for being overly rich in the mid-range, yet they get too lean in the upper RPMs. And the crank in wayyyy too much ignition retard as a safety measure (also to cover-their-a**). So you end up with sluggish partial-throttle mid-range response. But it DOES allow people to run 20psi knock-free. However, the car may not produce any more power than 15psi with optimized timing.

On the issue of ignition timing, there is ONLY ONE optimum timing-map for each boost level. That is the point right before it starts to detonate & knock. If you somehow have your car set up with a manual-boost controller or some other way of adjusting boost on the fly (15/18psi combo seems popular), and your car works at BOTH boost settings, then you're sacrificing performance at the lower boost-level because your ignition is retarded too much.
Old 12-13-2001, 10:43 PM
Luke
Super User

When my wastegate's diaphragm got punctured, my gauges were reading around 21 lbs. (this is with stock chips). It took a week or two before the fuel cut off started to kick in.(driving carefully). But i never expirience n/e knocking. ignition retarding must have been at the full 6 degrees. Now the car feels just as powerful @ 14 lbs.
Old 12-14-2001, 05:21 PM
Russ Murphy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Danno
I'm still running the stock chips with the Lindsey boost enhancer dialied to 13 psi.
I have a drop-in K&N in the stock airbox and
an MSD 6A ignition with indexed plugs. I installed a 2.5" cat replacement and cut out
the stock muffler and replaced it with the
16" Borla Sportsman racing muffler. I played around with higher octane at the lst driver's ed event I did and it seemed like allowed me to run like a scared rabbit. Maybe less retard going on?
Old 12-15-2001, 09:45 PM
Danno
Super User

Luke, you got that Modern Performance MAF working with the stock DME/KLR & chips? Wow, I'd be interested in seeing a dyno-chart of your configuration. Seems like the best bang-for-the-buck upgrade yet.
Old 12-19-2001, 03:56 AM
Danno
Super User

HI Russ, how do you have that MSD-6A ignition hooked up? Are you just using it as an amplifer and taking the trigger signal from the DME? Or have you bypassed that completely and using a trigger off the crank/flywheel and using only the MSD unit for ignition?

If you notice a difference with higher-octane gas, then yes, perhaps there's some retard going one due to detonation.
Old 12-19-2001, 10:56 AM
Russ Murphy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Danno,
As an amplifier triggered by the DME. I'm trying to remember, but I think it's essentially installed between(so to speak) the coil and the distributor. The box itself fits nicely in the very back of the glove compartment. There were already extra grommets/holes through the firewall and the wiring is routed adjacent to the power to the windsheild washer resevoir.
Old 12-19-2001, 03:24 PM
Luke
Super User

Danno,

The MP MAF isn't in yet. (rebuilding tranny presently)

I cannot wait to install it though. It's beautiful. I didn't measure it but im pretty sure it's a 3 incher. (so simple) you wonder why everybody charges so much for them. The idle/mixture controlls look like the same unit as LINDSEY:S.

The sensor is actually made by a company called "PRO FLOW" that is located here in MICHIGAN. I cant wait i can't wait.

Well actually it's a Xmas gift and the she decided to hide it in the refridgerator ( i hardly go in there). LMAO. (so i can honestly say that it is COOL.

comes with a K/N cone and mounting hardware. He does'nt sell replacement J pipes to relocate the filter to the fender. I was hoping to get one fabricated.

I could pay the difference between Lindsey's stage 1 and 2 to get the turbo pipin' but i think $300+ is a little silly

I will have Hi Res pics of the product on here Dec. 25th. Maybe the car will be drivable the 26 is there isn't n/e snow here in Michigan. (lmao)
Old 12-19-2001, 03:27 PM
Luke
Super User

Ps I will be picking up K 27 chips (if n/e has some for sale) Because I'll also be installing a garret turbo.
I have my stock 26/6 (68k miles great shape . Shaft has less than a mm of play) and the factory air box/ Air flow meter up for sale.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boost and octane

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: