Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ummm...yeah that seems bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 10:32 PM
Chas
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ummm...yeah that seems bad

So I was checking/topping off my oil today when I noticed an empty coolant resevoir.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT...

The cap to the resevoir was basically not even sealed, so did it all just evaporate? I sampled my oil...no mixing with coolant. Where did it all go?

I am amazed that nothing horrible has happened, I've kept a constant eye on the guages. The only thing I noticed was the 30 second turbo water pump was making a weird sound, as it was trying to pump air instead of water/coolant.

Ummm...yeah is there anything I should check for or do (besides obviously fill it back up)???

Should I mix 50/50...what is everyone else mixin?
Old 03-23-2003, 11:47 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a new cap. If you don't have seal and pressure, the coolant will boil/evaporate away.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:00 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mix ratio depends largely on the environmental conditions in your area (i.e. higher coolant content in colder climates), but FWIW the "factory coolant" I just bought at a local Porsche dealer here in Europe recommends 50/50.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:46 AM
Chas
Pro

The cap was just loose, my dumbass must have forgotten to tighten it. I filled it back up and pushed her mighty hard for about an hour tonight, and she did wonderfully. So I think it was just my mistake of leaving the cap loose.

Is there any consequences that I should look out for....any damage I might have done by letting her go dry for a day or two?
Old 03-24-2003, 08:33 AM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Luis de Prat:
<strong>Mix ratio depends largely on the environmental conditions in your area (i.e. higher coolant content in colder climates), but FWIW the "factory coolant" I just bought at a local Porsche dealer here in Europe recommends 50/50.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">If you don't have overheating problems, 50/50 is an easy to remember and make mix... but optimal mixes ae typicaly in the 35/65 and 40/60 ranges (coolant to water). I personally run 40/60 in everything and always have, though it was nice to have my idea reenforced while attending a motorcycle mechanics school.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:47 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After I got home yesterday, I noticed that I couldn't hear the 30 second turbo water pump. My coolant reservoir was also empty. I just topped it off with some 'Prestone' coolant liquid (maybe half a cup) that I had in the garage. I couldn't go back out afterwards (my 6 year-old was very sick). To paraphrase Chas: What should I expect now in terms of consequences ?
Old 03-24-2003, 01:26 PM
H Dog
Advanced

In my experience with other cars, loss of coolant usually means a bad water pump. Beware.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:07 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

If there is no milky-like oil on your dipstick when you check, you are prob. alright. Water cal leak into cylinders if the headgasket is gone, but if your cap was loose, I bet it just evaporated/boiled over and you are cool with just topping it off. Watch your tailpipe for lots of white smoke ( alittle is normal on startup). If you get billows of white smoke, dont drive it again until you can do a leakdown test.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:33 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Watch your tailpipe for lots of white smoke ( alittle is normal on startup). If you get billows of white smoke, dont drive it again until you can do a leakdown test.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Yeah I do get a little white smoke on startup, but it goes away after a while. Also the oil is fine.

Quick Reply: Ummm...yeah that seems bad