Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tuner Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 03:54 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Tuner Reviews

What I had in mind was not a bashing session on these business's, but rather a comparison of what they offer, what they do in house, and do they bring new product to market for us, of high quality. This I have found separates the real ones from the "resellers".

Why do I think "in house" machining and design is important. Because it appears to me that these Tuners do offer something different and have the ability to control and dictate their requirements.

I took the time to look at several webb sites this morning. I will list them and give my opinion of their product line, and its innovation.
This opinion is void of any bad dealings or experiences, as my original post did not suggest we post them. Only what we think of the product and services dished up to us. I am a 951 owner who has seen a change lately and I want more. There are alot of us out there who love our cars. We will pay to upgrade them if the stuff is there. It may take time, but we will all do it if we want to go fast. We are continually offered up the same stuff. If you want to buy Connecting Rods, Pistons, Camshafts, etc for example, when doing a bigger engine, whats typically offered to us. Pauter and Carrillo Rods, JE Pistons, Webb Cams etc. My problem is not the manufacturer, but that we are offered the same parts by every Tuner. Why can't they offer different lengths, Piston configurations, Camshaft profiles etc. If I'm paying for these parts, surely they will cost approx the same, but will be different. Its offered to the other Porsche owner, why can't we have it.

I have created a simple classification of these Tuners.

Level A, Developer/ Tuner.
offers different parts of their own design, has in house engineering and machining capabilities, in house engine building, could specialize in one area but does it in depth. Parts cannot be purchased from another unless under original name brand. If you want something different, exclusive, special and at a higher level, these Tuners will offer this service. Can give answers to most problems and can diagnose problems others usually cannot.

Level B, Tuner/reseller.
offers mostly others parts as distributor, engine assembly services. Probably offers wider range of products. Will offer good product and services, but limited to whats offered to them. If you want existing parts etc, these Tuners can offer this level. Can offer answers to typical problems associated with these cars of normal nature.

Level C. Resellers.
resells others parts. Does not have a good understanding of the upgrading of these cars. Knows the parts they sell very well, but lacks application knowledge. Some very good wholesale parts distributors fall into this category. Buyer needs to research these parts sellers. Good pricing, usually discounts to get sale. Typically this level is where problems of product, quality etc arise.

Level D.
These Tuners should be avoided due to unacceptable business practices. This can included public defamation of other Tuners, "proven" bad business practices, and general behavior which is not beholding to our 951 image.

These are my opinions, based upon information from webb sites.

Powerhaus. Level D

Has publically denounced another Tuner on their webb site. If this was to be removed with public apology, could be Level B. Not sure of their in house abilities.

Lindsey Racing. Level B
Don't know these people, but webb site full of same parts as every other Tuner. Nothing really innovative, but as stated appears to be very good parts supplier. Not sure of their in house abilities.

Anderson Motorworks. Level B
Don't know this company. From my limited knowledge from this forum, builds engines, webb site full of same parts etc. Not sure of their in house abilities.

Guru. Level A on product. If they were to offer full service, this company is worth watching. Innovative and not afraid to go with new product. As has been seen by all, probably best information source.

Koklen Products. Level A on parts. Alot of suspension parts. Supply other Tuners with their branded parts.
Level B on other services. Not sure of their in house abilities.

Speed Force Racing. This is a hard one.
Level A on fabrication.
Level B on engine and other services. Not sure of their in house abilities.

Millage Racing. From what I see from webb site,
Level A on engine parts. Not sure of their in house abilities.

Paragon Products. Level C/ Wholeseller

Pelican Products Level C/Wholeseller

Performance Products Level C

Engine Builders Supply Level C/Wholeseller

Windward Products Level C

Please feel free to comment, disagree, add etc. These are my opinions based upon whats offered on the webb sites. I'm sure I have missed some, so please add to this list. To the administrator of the Rennlist. How about a forum for this kind of Tuner comparisons. These posts need to be positive and not negitive and with rules. If the Tuner is listed and categorized, we the buying public would have clear understanding of what is offered and to what level. If I want to spend very little, I will know who to go to, if I want to spend alot and have something special, I will know who to go to.

Simon

Quick Reply: Tuner Reviews