racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats stout Shawn!
Old 04-22-2011, 01:17 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I have said this before but my car is transformed. It is very precise. The car is a blast to drive. The spool up is so smooth. Much reduced knock during shifts. No more popping. I think a WG will make a significant difference wrt HP and that is coming very soon. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:18 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
the real beauty is lost on a dyno sheet. The drivability. and what happens before 3000 rpms
100% true.

Hard to quantify the improvement looking at dyno sheets with this tune. Good peak power, yes... but the real butter in this is how the car behaves outside of full throttle, full boost driving.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:04 PM
esmith904
Advanced

I've been considering going to a MAF setup from a couple of the highly regarded vendors to get the improved "driveabiliy" that I've read about on the boards. However, my engine is just a lightly modified stock 2.5 motor with AFM, VR chip, 3" catpipe and a LR DP wastegate run in single port mode with CV boost control. Understand a MAF is really beneficial for more highly modified cars needing more air flow. If I could get the "driveabily" of a well tuned (+$1000) MAF setup with a ($300) A-tune, sounds like A-tune could be the ticket for me.

Can anybody comment on comparison of driveabilty of a well sorted MAF setup vs A-tune?

I might hold out for a MAF and spend the higher $$ if MAF drivabilty is even better. Else, if about the same, I'd save the money and try A-tune. Not trying to start a vendor war, just looking for good balance of cost to what I'm trying to achieve for a lightly modded street machine with the best possible outside full boost driveability characteristics. Also want to keep the stock air box with either setup, AFM or "stealth" MAF.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:22 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The only problem with the A-tune (And its not the A-tunes fault) is the AFM. Go to the Rogue Tuning website and look at the picture of the AFM curves. Rogue has tested 6 or 7 AFMs on his flow bench, and NONE of them followed the factory curve. They are worn out. "Good enough" maybe, but not as Bosch made them.

Not only will the M-tune make more power (Less intake restriction), but it is exact. AFRs are PERFECT, all the time, every time.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:38 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by esmith904
I've been considering going to a MAF setup from a couple of the highly regarded vendors to get the improved "driveabiliy" that I've read about on the boards. However, my engine is just a lightly modified stock 2.5 motor with AFM, VR chip, 3" catpipe and a LR DP wastegate run in single port mode with CV boost control. Understand a MAF is really beneficial for more highly modified cars needing more air flow. If I could get the "driveabily" of a well tuned (+$1000) MAF setup with a ($300) A-tune, sounds like A-tune could be the ticket for me.

Can anybody comment on comparison of driveabilty of a well sorted MAF setup vs A-tune?

I might hold out for a MAF and spend the higher $$ if MAF drivabilty is even better. Else, if about the same, I'd save the money and try A-tune. Not trying to start a vendor war, just looking for good balance of cost to what I'm trying to achieve for a lightly modded street machine with the best possible outside full boost driveability characteristics. Also want to keep the stock air box with either setup, AFM or "stealth" MAF.
Be a little patient and wait for the M-Tune from Rogue. IMOH it will be the best thing any 951 owner could do to bring their engine management system out of the 80's.

http://www.roguetuning.com
Old 04-24-2011, 01:23 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by teamcrossworks
Be a little patient and wait for the M-Tune from Rogue. IMOH it will be the best thing any 951 owner could do to bring their engine management system out of the 80's.

I agree 100%. Car doesn't need to be modified to benefit from the M tune. It's more or less about a way to update the engine management to what it would be in a modern car, provide flexibility for when you do modify your car, and do it in a way that's affordable for everyone. I'm still shocked every time I drive my 951 with what the M-tune did for my car. Simply astonishing
Old 04-24-2011, 09:36 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
It's more or less about a way to update the engine management to what it would be in a modern car, provide flexibility for when you do modify your car, and do it in a way that's affordable for everyone.
M-Tune really does sound like a way to solve many of the problems that several of us are up against with current MAF offerings. I installed my Autothority MAF shortly after I bought my car, and while it made a great improvement over stock, and seemed to benefit from other mods I also did (3" pipe, LR DP waste gate, etc), it was obvious that more could be done. Unfortunately with the existing MAF/chip setups, I would have to run back to a chip guy each time I wanted to make a change like more fuel (via FPR, injectors, etc), a larger turbo, even bigger exhaust, etc. And even then, who knows if the chip builder could modify the chip code to properly compensate for mods, and if you wanted to do it close to "right", it would take hours of expensive dyno time and tweeking.

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to the M-Tune because it's design will address these challenges with other setups, while going the extra step of 3-D fuel mapping across the entire throttle/rev range. So far, it sounds like the closest thing short of an external engine management system of you want to continue to add performance mods to these cars as the years go by.

My only minor issue is budget... I've already run up over $3,500 in total expenses starting with a head job, and continuing with a BUNCH of "while I'm in there" stuff, but my timing of this project and the M-Tune release is perfect, and it seems like a no-brainer to take advantage of Rogue's new system now to avoid potential chip/mod mis-matches that would surely lead to another head gasket in my near future.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:38 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the price on the M-tune?
Old 04-24-2011, 02:54 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ehall
What's the price on the M-tune?
We don't know yet, but people in-the-know make it sound like the price should reasonable compared to other chip/MAF systems. Only time will tell, and according to Joshua, that time should be coming soon...
Old 04-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
We don't know yet, but people in-the-know make it sound like the price should reasonable compared to other chip/MAF systems. Only time will tell, and according to Joshua, that time should be coming soon...
I'm sworn to secrecy... Otherwise I'd tell you, but I just wanna say it'd be a phenomenal deal if he were charging twice what he's planning.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:24 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

The build up to m-tune is getting bigger than Kate and William's upcoming shindig, 3D maps for WOT, awesome!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:21 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by teamcrossworks

I realize this is a thread about a specific vendors offering and I am not taking anything away from what Rogue is doing, I am always happy to see new products and vendors for our cars, but that statement is *bit* over the top considering some of the products that are on the market at the moment. The newest offerings from TEC, Link and Megasquirt, not to mention what Vitesse offers, all bring the engine management quite nicely out of the '80's.

If Rogue can pull off a seismic shift in the 951 marketplace, that will indeed be an accomplishment. Considering what the marketplace was like when I first started playing with 951's (Huntley and APE were the only MAF choices at the time)' we've come a very long way.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:09 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sh944
but that statement is *bit* over the top considering some of the products that are on the market at the moment. The newest offerings from TEC, Link and Megasquirt, not to mention what Vitesse offers, all bring the engine management quite nicely out of the '80's.
Its the way he is doing it.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:48 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hally
The build up to m-tune is getting bigger than Kate and William's upcoming shindig, 3D maps for WOT, awesome!
Its 3D all the way.... Not just WOT.

Originally Posted by sh944
I realize this is a thread about a specific vendors offering and I am not taking anything away from what Rogue is doing, I am always happy to see new products and vendors for our cars, but that statement is *bit* over the top considering some of the products that are on the market at the moment. The newest offerings from TEC, Link and Megasquirt, not to mention what Vitesse offers, all bring the engine management quite nicely out of the '80's.

If Rogue can pull off a seismic shift in the 951 marketplace, that will indeed be an accomplishment. Considering what the marketplace was like when I first started playing with 951's (Huntley and APE were the only MAF choices at the time)' we've come a very long way.
Other than Vitesse, those other systems you mentioned are all stand-alone setups. Those aren't even on the same level.

I think the initial statement was meant that, these (Rogue, and Vitesse) setups modernize the 80's DME technology. Bosch left the DME with room to improve them. They were used on most of Europe's cars, no matter the make, or model. Ferrari, Fiat, Renault, Porsche, BMW, Volvo, etc, etc, etc..... They are very capable computers. They have no problem working with modern sensors, providing you know how to code them to do so.

Rogue's new setup is the next evolution. The things he is doing haven't been done before. Using a MAP sensor so the DME knows actual boost pressure, and can adjust timing as needed, and true 3D maps...and I'm sure it will continue to evolve, as long as we have interest in owning these cars.

Quick Reply: Just Ordered A-Tune